Cutting the Grass

Got a few ruts in the back lawn where drainage was installed badly, best way to even lawn out without returfing? Just level with topsoil and seed? Any tips for a non gardener appreciated!

I've got wild flower borders out the front, but the grass has taken hold and I'm worried it'll choke the flowers.
Would some yellow rattle help?
Yes, the grass will out compete the wild flowers if just left. Some good advice in the link.

I've got wild flower borders out the front, but the grass has taken hold and I'm worried it'll choke the flowers.
Would some yellow rattle help?
I would have thought so but you need to sow the seeds in the autumn, apparently their seeds wont germinate if they are a year old, you need fresh seeds. This is the first time I've tried sowing it so I'll have to see how it goes.
Wot Churchlanelad said. :)

Last edited:
I would have thought so but you need to sow the seeds in the autumn, apparently their seeds wont germinate if they are a year old, you need fresh seeds. This is the first time I've tried sowing it so I'll have to see how it goes.
Wot Churchlanelad said. :)
Aye, I'll buy some in Autumn.

Was out back this morning and I think I'm going to have to cut the grass in a week or two.

I've never cut it before march before... cant believe how green it is and how much its growing.. same with all the daffs popping up early too
Southern Softee.

Was out back this morning and I think I'm going to have to cut the grass in a week or two.

I've never cut it before march before... cant believe how green it is and how much its growing.. same with all the daffs popping up early too
I'll the gardener to do ours ;) much easier

I’m definitely going for the electric scarifier this year. Bit worried that it will rip my lawn to shreds and it won’t grow back but will give it a go
It won't and the lawn will flourish from it.
Mine was a mad of moss this time last year. Spent some time giving it some TLC with moss killer, scarifier and reseeding bare patches. Just given it it's first cut this year today and there's vary no moss to be seen. I did give it a dose of the seaweed based mosskiller a few weeks ago and it's killed off anything that was there and the grass is already growing. No bare patches to be seen but I'll scarify it again in a few weeks time just to help it thicken again during spring for a lush summer lawn.
Obsessive grass cutters and car washers are out in force once the temperature goes above 5 degrees, sad bastards
Gave the lawnmower a service before cutting the grass this afternoon. Air intake wasn't properly back on at first and it sounded like a souped up street racer, shame I'm not on your street.

Last edited:
Will come back - just takes a bit time.
From the lawnsmith:

" If the weather remains cold through March hold off from a moss removal programme because the lawn will not recover until things warm up. If we get a mild spell and the long range forecast looks good then you may be able to start but only if you're in the midlands or south. "

I think this covers any thoughts of scarifying. I did it last year, and it really didn't help. If anything, it created bare patches, and the POA took over as it germinated before my seeds could.

Back