Craft Beer

Absolutely class weekend. Deya, Away win, and Cardiff was absolutely *bouncing* on Friday night. Biggest surprise for me was tiny rebels pub. Went in with pretty low expectations, but was proper humbled with their cask stuff. Absolute quality.
I don't get the hatred of them these days. Some of it went gimmicky, and the supermarket stuff is relatively poor (as you'd expect) but they still do some good offerings.

I’m definitely guilty of assessing them based on the supermarket stuff. Their cask chocolate porter was absolute class.
Blues had that in last week. Was excellent.

My theory is simply supermarket gear will be sub par, regardless.

Sounds like you had a cracking time.
It was probably when they started doing the bacon stout & shit.

The superhero popcorn stout & the ice cream 99 stout we’re both top notch like.

It was probably when they started doing the bacon stout & shit.

The superhero popcorn stout & the ice cream 99 stout we’re both top notch like.
Don't think I had the former, but agree, really enjoyed the 99.

Been mapping out a route for a solo wander next Friday for a few craft type slurps. Torque, Blacks Corner, The Stables, Blues and Fausto (hammer a pizza to finish off). Couple of beers in each and a canny leg stretch :cool:

Last edited:
Don't think I had the former, but agree, really enjoyed the 99.

Been mapping out a route for a solo wander next Friday for a few craft type slurps. Torque, Blacks Corner, The Stables, Blues and Fausto (hammer a pizza to finish off). Couple of beers in each and a canny leg stretch :cool:
Few mile between them like.
Logon or register to see this image

https://ibb.co/y4YwZYV

Last edited:
Managed to lay my hands on a Westvleteren 12. Quick question for @James as a Belgian connoisseur 😃 it has a date of August 26 on the bottle - and I’ve read these are better being aged for two / three years. Do you reckon it was bottled last August, so I should leave it till 2026?

Managed to lay my hands on a Westvleteren 12. Quick question for @James as a Belgian connoisseur 😃 it has a date of August 26 on the bottle - and I’ve read these are better being aged for two / three years. Do you reckon it was bottled last August, so I should leave it till 2026?
Where did you pick that up? I **think** that the date on the bottle is the best before, which is three years after bottling.

I've got a couple of them in the cupboard that I brought back from their 'taproom' (pensioners tearoom in reality!) which I'm ageing for a while purely because I think St Bernardus Abt 12 is better based on drinking them both fresh. Maybe it'll change with age.

Personality I'd drink it now, but do a side by side tasting alongside St Bernardus. See what you think. If age it before you've even tried it you'll never appreciate the difference in future. :)

If you love it, Batch in Altrincham sell it, though it is about 20 quid a bottle. It's not worth that price imo when you can get St Bernardus for less than a quarter of the price.

Where did you pick that up? I **think** that the date on the bottle is the best before, which is three years after bottling.

I've got a couple of them in the cupboard that I brought back from their 'taproom' (pensioners tearoom in reality!) which I'm ageing for a while purely because I think St Bernardus Abt 12 is better based on drinking them both fresh. Maybe it'll change with age.

Personality I'd drink it now, but do a side by side tasting alongside St Bernardus. See what you think. If age it before you've even tried it you'll never appreciate the difference in future. :)

If you love it, Batch in Altrincham sell it, though it is about 20 quid a bottle. It's not worth that price imo when you can get St Bernardus for less than a quarter of the price.
Ah nice one, ta. I paid top whack for it like, in an order from that place not too far from you in Knutsford. Next time we’re down to visit the bairn, we’re probs gonna stay in the hotel round the corner, it looks lovely.
😜 nee chance at twenty quid a bottle

Jakey in the KT is a superb pint like. And to show I'm not a Maxim hater, the Eclipse in the Peacock is a very decent cask dark beer @Kingdom Bhoy
Funnily enough, had one before we headed over to the taproom, had a bit chat with the lad who used to work in Vaux in there. Very nice pint. Oh, and there a Pollys takeover in Isis. Goi g on way home

Last edited:
Absolutely class weekend. Deya, Away win, and Cardiff was absolutely *bouncing* on Friday night. Biggest surprise for me was tiny rebels pub. Went in with pretty low expectations, but was proper humbled with their cask stuff. Absolute quality.
I think TR have got a few decent beers to be honest (though haven’t had any for ages). They’re just a bit of a cringey company.

Back