Craft Beer

What do you think compared to Tonkoko?

More bitter, and more of a toasty feel to the coconut. You can tell its a higher ABV, as you would expect. That takes nothing away from Tonkoko mind as its a grest beer, and a good example of how to get a low strength beer to have a good amount of flavour.

I've just looked at my untappd and when I see others giving low ratings for Tonkoko I do wonder if they're rating it as a 4% beer, or comparing it to an impy....

More bitter, and more of a toasty feel to the coconut. You can tell its a higher ABV, as you would expect. That takes nothing away from Tonkoko mind as its a grest beer, and a good example of how to get a low strength beer to have a good amount of flavour.

I've just looked at my untappd and when I see others giving low ratings for Tonkoko I do wonder if they're rating it as a 4% beer, or comparing it to an impy....
Mind, I do sometimes think if something has a high abv or is BA people decide it’s going to be a big rating before tasting it. In my Untappd notes I try to makes notes as to whether I’d drink &/or buy again. Lower abvs have a time & place so finding good ones is canny important amongst the shite dished out.
Logon or register to see this image

Let’s gan. Having a slurp & showering simultaneously :cool:
Mind, I do sometimes think if something has a high abv or is BA people decide it’s going to be a big rating before tasting it. In my Untappd notes I try to makes notes as to whether I’d drink &/or buy again. Lower abvs have a time & place so finding good ones is canny important amongst the shite dished out.
https://ibb.co/zFP5br4

Had a sip & im pissed. Stinks of bourbon. Smokey, leaves a bit of a burn on the throat. It’s decent like.

Last edited:

Had a sip & im pissed. Stinks of bourbon. Smokey, leaves a bit of a burn on the throat. It’s decent like.
The fact that pretty much every impy on Untappd is rated over 4 says a lot. People are silly.

I had a Northern Monk x Holy Goat x Amundsen impy last night. It was absolutely shite, far too sweet and the flavour profile was dominated by lactose/vanilla. Couldn't even finish it. Followed it up with a Baltic Porter from Beak which was class.

The fact that pretty much every impy on Untappd is rated over 4 says a lot. People are silly.

I had a Northern Monk x Holy Goat x Amundsen impy last night. It was absolutely shite, far too sweet and the flavour profile was dominated by lactose/vanilla. Couldn't even finish it. Followed it up with a Baltic Porter from Beak which was class.
Nowt more disappointing when you buy an Impy & it tastes like synthetic shite. If pre pandemic somebody told me I’d be looking for balance of abv vs adjuncts & shite I’d have told them they’re right sad twats. How times change :lol:

Another thing about beers, or stouts, my mates sometimes ask me what’s good & what they should try. But it’s all about tastes. Think pushed, Empress Tonkoko is my favourite beer, but you’re fucked if you think coconut is shite. All about tastes. Untapped is for me & my records, rather than a guide of what to buy.

Ha’way the lads!

Last edited:
Can’t find the original article, but this was posted on a stout Facebook site.

Cloudwater sounding dodgy

Not on Facey, what's it say?

As an aside Cloudwater quality has suffered recently. The core range they introduced such as Happy, and a few others, whilst ok weren't anything to shout. The one offs seem fine, from the small sample I've had, but they seem to have lost direction in the last 6-12 months.

Not on Facey, what's it say?

As an aside Cloudwater quality has suffered recently. The core range they introduced such as Happy, and a few others, whilst ok weren't anything to shout. The one offs seem fine, from the small sample I've had, but they seem to have lost direction in the last 6-12 months.
What Hammers posted
Aye
So wafts happening? Is it purely cost, tax, energy, distribution costs etc or is it the market is saturated?

Probably a bit of both?

Last edited:
What Hammers posted

Aye
So wafts happening? Is it purely cost, tax, energy, distribution costs etc or is it the market is saturated?

Probably a bit of both?

I'd say a bit of both. We all know costs will have gone through the roof as energy prices have rocketed.

Cloudwater did seem to get a bit of flak for their collaboration with Brewdog and Tesco, maybe their efforts to mass produce have backfired and they've lost some of their original customer base.

At £5+ or so a can it's premium products and with lots of choice out there a few duds can see people spending their money elsewhere, particularly as the covid induced boom in home drinking of craft beer has dissipated.

I'd say a bit of both. We all know costs will have gone through the roof as energy prices have rocketed.

Cloudwater did seem to get a bit of flak for their collaboration with Brewdog and Tesco, maybe their efforts to mass produce have backfired and they've lost some of their original customer base.

At £5+ or so a can it's premium products and with lots of choice out there a few duds can see people spending their money elsewhere, particularly as the covid induced boom in home drinking of craft beer has dissipated.
It's pretty much entirely cost/inflation related. Can't see how these price rises are sustainable for most breweries, it's ridiculous how much the cost of raw materials and energy have gone up in such a short space of time.

Cloudwater going under would be an enormous loss. They have been industry leaders for so long. If they're on the brink then there must be hundreds of other breweries in the same or a worse position.
I got to Cloudwater late but have never been that impressed. Much better beers around.
In terms of consistency across a range of styles I don't think there's anyone (or at least not many) doing it better. They do pretty much every style of beer justice, and you can't say that about many.

It's pretty much entirely cost/inflation related. Can't see how these price rises are sustainable for most breweries, it's ridiculous how much the cost of raw materials and energy have gone up in such a short space of time.

Cloudwater going under would be an enormous loss. They have been industry leaders for so long. If they're on the brink then there must be hundreds of other breweries in the same or a worse position.

In terms of consistency across a range of styles I don't think there's anyone (or at least not many) doing it better. They do pretty much every style of beer justice, and you can't say that about many.
Be devastating if Cloudwater fail. ☹️

Back