Craft Beer

Probably my favourite beer. It’s class
Is the Empress Tonkoko just a higher end/stronger version of the regular brew?
I had the Tonkoko (cask) at the brewery tap in York and thought it was fantastic for a low ABV stout. Bought a few cans of it and wasn’t so enamoured.

They’re realising a few more BA ones about now. Not sure which barrels like.
Yeah they have done a Heaven Hill one and Plantation Rum one along with the Buffalo Trace, not a massive fan of Brew York in general but the state of mind series they do are some of the best stouts about, had most them and they have always been brilliant.
I had the Tonkoko (cask) at the brewery tap in York and thought it was fantastic for a low ABV stout. Bought a few cans of it and wasn’t so enamoured.
Yep it's an amped up version of the normal Tonkoko, very good but if you can get hold of the BA versions they are even better.

Last edited:
Yeah they have done a Heaven Hill one and Plantation Rum one along with the Buffalo Trace, not a massive fan of Brew York in general but the state of mind series they do are some of the best stouts about, had most them and they have always been brilliant.

Yep it's an amped up version of the normal Tonkoko, very good but if you can get hold of the BA versions they are even better.

Brew York stouts are generally excellent, their pales and IPA's are generally very average

Aye. Exactly that. Tonkoko was one of my first entry points into Craft, in Tilleys in Newcastle long before covid. I like coconut, so it blew my mind. Moved onto this & it’s class. Mind, I’m always a bit disappointed with canned Tonkoko these days.

Brew York stouts were a big part of early Craft for me. They were always a go to. A couple of dud ones in there, but generally good. I’ve got a bit of loyalty to them because of that.

Last edited:
I had a Radler recently which was so bad it was a sink pour

Had a pale recently, bang average, had better in supermarkets. I still get sucked into them though, even though I know their track record outside the stouts is poor.
Aye. Exactly that. Tonkoko was one of my first entry points into Craft, in Tilleys in Newcastle long before covid. I like coconut, so it blew my mind. Moved onto this & it’s class. Mind, I’m always a bit disappointed with canned Tonkoko these days.

Brew York stouts were a big part of early Craft for me. They were always a go to. A couple of dud ones in there, but generally good. I’ve got a bit of loyalty to them because of that.

Consistently good beers cuts a bit of slack for the inevitable dud. When the duds become more regular it's time to move on from buying their stuff e.g. Tiny Rebel

Last edited:

Back