Craft Beer

in Grindon Club. Just bought a Double Maxim, McEwans Best Scotch & a Caffery’s. £8.75. Craft is dead, long live cheap beer in working man’s clubs.
Blimey McEwans Best Scotch. Can remember that being in the vane tempest in Seaham when I used to work there as a student in the mid nineties.

Tasted like utter shite back then. Can’t imagine it’s improved over time.

Blimey McEwans Best Scotch. Can remember that being in the vane tempest in Seaham when I used to work there as a student in the mid nineties.

Owa lass is drinking it. I’m on the Double. I’ll have a slurp & leave a review.

It’s not bad you know.

Last edited:
Owa lass is drinking it. I’m on the Double. I’ll have a slurp & leave a review.

It’s not bad you know.
Tbf, they’ve probably upped their game in a very competitive market now.

They sold some absolute shite back in the day when I worked there.

Whitbreads best scotch (better seller than the mcewans. Tasted even worse)

Whitbreads trophy 🤢

There was an old fashioned IPA - can’t remember the brewer. Might have been mcewans.

All tasted pretty much the same. The only saving grace was a keg of Murphys - but I wasn’t that into it then.

Which left fostaz and carling. No bloody wonder that’s all that was drunk back then

Tbf, they’ve probably upped their game in a very competitive market now.

They sold some absolute shite back in the day when I worked there.

Whitbreads best scotch (better seller than the mcewans. Tasted even worse)

Whitbreads trophy 🤢

There was an old fashioned IPA - can’t remember the brewer. Might have been mcewans.

All tasted pretty much the same. The only saving grace was a keg of Murphys - but I wasn’t that into it then.

Which left fostaz and carling. No bloody wonder that’s all that was drunk back then
Trophy! :lol:

Think the last pint I had of that was in the Demi about 10 years ago & even then they must have had a barrel left over from 10 year previous & stuck it on.

Picked up seven different new ones last week down here. Just had the Gweilo peanut butter and raspberry jam; very reminiscent of Pump up the Jam (with peanut obvs).

The Northern Monk Heathen is one of the new ones. Couple of new Tiny Rebels that I haven't tried too.
Had a couple of Heathen the other night in a restaurant in Scarborough - really nice stuff. Paid a visit to a taproom there afterwards and had a lovely Verdant, a nice Millionaire Stout and a Polly’s Brew which was absolutely rank - tasted and looked like the drip tray slops.

I’m not sure if that’s the reason, pre-covid you could get Wylam all over in Sunderland (mostly in cask) but I think they’re changed their model since. They don’t do much cask now (Jakehead isn’t casked anymore which is borderline criminal) and their keg offerings aren’t available via wholesalers anywhere near as often as they used to be. I suspect they’ve scaled back massively and they’re struggling although that’s just my assumption.
I doubt they are struggling but they have scaled back

One of their brewers who was laid off - known as The Count is know brewing at the Delaval Arms brew pub and is killing it - brewery is called King Aelle Brew Co

I doubt they are struggling but they have scaled back

One of their brewers who was laid off - known as The Count is know brewing at the Delaval Arms brew pub and is killing it - brewery is called King Aelle Brew Co
Another to add to the list :lol:

No chance I wouldn’t have a pint of Wylam if I could find one. Just interesting hearing a few takes on their distribution

The Emperor’s New Clothes. Real Ale that tastes like dishwater strained through a bearded bloke’s sweaty sock repacked as ‘Craft Beer’ and they charge you double the price to sup it. Mugs!

The Emperor’s New Clothes. Real Ale that tastes like dishwater strained through a bearded bloke’s sweaty sock repacked as ‘Craft Beer’ and they charge you double the price to sup it. Mugs!
Bit like your fashion tips then: stick a badge on a tee shirt and charge 10 times the price to wear it. Mugs!

I liked Almasty, their core range is excellent and some of their other pales, IPA's etc were really good. They turned out consistently good quality stuff but have done very little recently.

Anarchy l've had a few and never been impressed
Almasty seem to have picked up production again recently, we’ve had a couple of casks through wholesalers and they’ve been absolutely cracking.

Back