Craft Beer

Not sure if it'll be the same down there but I went to Sainsburys up here (Glasgow) today and they had loads of new stuff in, a lot of it was reduced as well.
Picked up seven different new ones last week down here. Just had the Gweilo peanut butter and raspberry jam; very reminiscent of Pump up the Jam (with peanut obvs).
The Northern Monk stuff is OK, Faith is one of the better supermarket offerings, but the others I've tried from sainsburys lately were poor. One by Beavertown, one by Unity, one by Siren. All bland and mediocre.

I'd sooner put an order in somewhere and pay mebbes £4-5 a can for good stuff than most of the £3.50 supermarket beers.

Had a few orders from Polly's lately and the average price has been around £4 a can and much better than the bland shite supermarkets are selling
The Northern Monk Heathen is one of the new ones. Couple of new Tiny Rebels that I haven't tried too.

Last edited:

Picked up seven different new ones last week down here. Just had the Gweilo peanut butter and raspberry jam; very reminiscent of Pump up the Jam (with peanut obvs).

The Northern Monk Heathen is one of the new ones. Couple of new Tiny Rebels that I haven't tried too.
I haven't drank any unfortunately. As the Mrs paid for them she's put them away for Father's day 😀😀 Looking forward to trying the Tempest Mexicake.

Remember that time you had a decent pint of Wylam in Sunderland? No? Me neither. It’s notably absent from the craft places in Sunderland, and don’t think I’ve seen it anywhere that wasn’t Tyneside. Been talking to a few local buyers and apparently they ghost places and don’t get back to people trying to order their stuff for sale in Sunderland. Granted, what I’ve heard is anecdotal, but If this is genuinely true, it’s absolutely sad as fuck.

Decent beer is decent beer, and I’ve happily sat in places in Newcastle supping on their match days keeping my head down. Absolutely no way I’d not go in/buy beer because of its location or where it’s brewed. Places I go in Newcastle, there’s generally no football rivalries mentioned, or it’s actually quite friendly.
I do recall Wylam having a spat on socials with that sheikhead bollocks, but surely a company isn’t that sad they’d actually lose business because of petty attitudes like this?

Last edited:

Of the TR 440's one is nice one is poor, the 505 is the latter IIRC The new hazy 330ml one is actually ok, citrussy but drinkable
Remember that time you had a decent pint of Wylam in Sunderland? No? Me neither. It’s notably absent from the craft places in Sunderland, and don’t think I’ve seen it anywhere that wasn’t Tyneside. Been talking to a few local buyers and apparently they ghost places and don’t get back to people trying to order their stuff for sale in Sunderland. Granted, what I’ve heard is anecdotal, but If this is genuinely true, it’s absolutely sad as fuck.

Decent beer is decent beer, and I’ve happily sat in places in Newcastle supping on their match days keeping my head down. Absolutely no way I’d not go in/buy beer because of its location or where it’s brewed. Places I go in Newcastle, there’s generally no football rivalries mentioned, or it’s actually quite friendly.
I do recall Wylam having a spat on socials with that sheikhead bollocks, but surely a company isn’t that sad they’d actually lose business because of petty attitudes like this?

Now that you mention that I'd have to agree, can't recall seeing Wylam, cans or keg, round Sunderland. Mag twats.

Last edited:
I haven't drank any unfortunately. As the Mrs paid for them she's put them away for Father's day 😀😀 Looking forward to trying the Tempest Mexicake.
Don't think they had that one in mine.
Of the TR 440's one is nice one is poor, the 505 is the latter IIRC The new hazy 330ml one is actually ok, citrussy but drinkable

Now that you mention that I'd have to agree, can't recall seeing Wylam, cans or keg, round Sunderland. Mag twats.
The 505 has been in a while and I agree it's poor. They have the new fruit smoothie one (froozi?) and another 440 pale of some description. Not tried either yet.

Last edited:

Heard similar from well known micro place.

Mind, Jakehead was being sold when there was a little music event thing down Seaburn a few years back.
Don't think they had that one in mine.

The 505 has been in a while and I agree it's poor. They have the new fruit smoothie one (froozi?) and another 440 pale of some description. Not tried either yet.
The smoothie is terrible if you like drinking something that resembles beer/alcohol. It's like necking a sweet juice.

Last edited:

I’m not sure if that’s the reason, pre-covid you could get Wylam all over in Sunderland (mostly in cask) but I think they’re changed their model since. They don’t do much cask now (Jakehead isn’t casked anymore which is borderline criminal) and their keg offerings aren’t available via wholesalers anywhere near as often as they used to be. I suspect they’ve scaled back massively and they’re struggling although that’s just my assumption.

I’m not sure if that’s the reason, pre-covid you could get Wylam all over in Sunderland (mostly in cask) but I think they’re changed their model since. They don’t do much cask now (Jakehead isn’t casked anymore which is borderline criminal) and their keg offerings aren’t available via wholesalers anywhere near as often as they used to be. I suspect they’ve scaled back massively and they’re struggling although that’s just my assumption.
The brewery could just be a vehicle for the event space. If that’s going well & making money they might not push the beer as much as I think there a certain place you can get to before blowing up & going all Tesco & stuff.
I never have high hopes for TR anymore.
Not that’s it’s a surprise, but I only do their stouts. They’re always good. Ice Cream one was topper, the straight forward impy they did a year ago.

Last edited:
Core range is a decent set of fridge fillers,the one offs I tend to avoid unless they're stouts.

The Froozzi is vile. More a sour than a fruit IPA
I'd prefer a sour to a fruit ipa to be fair!
The brewery could just be a vehicle for the event space. If that’s going well & making money they might not push the beer as much as I think there a certain place you can get to before blowing up & going all Tesco & stuff.

Not that’s it’s a surprise, but I only do their stouts. They’re always good. Ice Cream one was topper, the straight forward impy they did a year ago.
Don't think I managed to try that in the end. Stay Puft obviously a classic though, I even liked the mint one.

Last edited:
Mint stouts have been decent all round even I’ve tried them. Which I’m surprised as it sounds shit :lol:
White Hag did a mint IPA a while back. It was bright green and surprisingly good. Avoid the bright green watermelon one they do though, one of the only things I've ever poured away.

The owner is a Liverpool fan

Back