Craft Beer

Had my litre of “how do you do fellow kids” nice but a touch heavy.

moved onto a you’ve been mango’d, again by S34. Dipping my toes into sours but this being a sour ipa it’s a gentle introduction. Really nice, LOADS of mango as expected, tongue drying grapefruit either side of your mouth.

Look a few pages back, I had the Banoffee Imperial Stout last week. I’d give it 9.5/10 like. It was tremendous
Aye I clocked that, I think I'm about done with stouts with adjuncts for the time being, I've realised I only want the roasted and bitter flavours and mostly struggle with the sweetness.
Had my litre of “how do you do fellow kids” nice but a touch heavy.

moved onto a you’ve been mango’d, again by S34. Dipping my toes into sours but this being a sour ipa it’s a gentle introduction. Really nice, LOADS of mango as expected, tongue drying grapefruit either side of your mouth.
Sour IPAs are a belter way into sours. Had a sour double IPA last weekend which was very good. You're getting that nice sour hit but it's balanced by the hop flavours on the back end.

I'm more of a fan of classic Belgian lambics and gueuzes though. London Beer Factory do the best barrel aged gear in the country imo, going to pick up another of their sharing bottles tomorrow. Love them.

Aye I clocked that, I think I'm about done with stouts with adjuncts for the time being, I've realised I only want the roasted and bitter flavours and mostly struggle with the sweetness.
Sour IPAs are a belter way into sours. Had a sour double IPA last weekend which was very good. You're getting that nice sour hit but it's balanced by the hop flavours on the back end.

I'm more of a fan of classic Belgian lambics and gueuzes though. London Beer Factory do the best barrel aged gear in the country imo, going to pick up another of their sharing bottles tomorrow. Love them.
Yer I’ve tried one or two sours that are a bit thin and acidic for me, this is a really nice happy medium. Thicker mouthfeel but that sharpness there too. Big fan

I can see that! Get a can of Vocation Rossoya sour double iPA if you see it. Sour, but really quite thick and soft with it being a DIPA, with a slight bitter finish. Works really nicely.
Ha, that's the one I had just before . 8% enjoyed it 👍. Having something called hop kong gwei lo now which is nice also

The barley wine has only got 7 check ins on untappd which is very unusual. Sounds great tho.

Thanks for the info, I've just re-joined Untappd.

The tasting notes for both beers are as expected for beers of this nature - varied! I take this as a good sign for what are likely complex boutique beers (the stout - Winter of Discontent - has 3 check-ins!)

I dunno about you but I find the craft ale scene a bit too 'follow the herd' for my liking, that's not to say I haven't done plenty of it myself over the years.

A couple of pals of mine started a Facebook group a few years back and the length and breadth of the info available in there is staggering so I often try to just plough my own furrow.

Thanks for the info, I've just re-joined Untappd.

The tasting notes for both beers are as expected for beers of this nature - varied! I take this as a good sign for what are likely complex boutique beers (the stout - Winter of Discontent - has 3 check-ins!)

I dunno about you but I find the craft ale scene a bit too 'follow the herd' for my liking, that's not to say I haven't done plenty of it myself over the years.

A couple of pals of mine started a Facebook group a few years back and the length and breadth of the info available in there is staggering so I often try to just plough my own furrow.
For me it’s as simple as trying loads & seeing what I liked. Some dicks are taking the piss out of me cos I asked on a supermarket craft beer page if anyone knew when the Lidl Beer Festival was due back. Apparently it’s not proper craft beer. Only wanted to get some £1.79 Barneys. They’re all pretentious pricks without lasses anyhow.

For me it’s as simple as trying loads & seeing what I liked. Some dicks are taking the piss out of me cos I asked on a supermarket craft beer page if anyone knew when the Lidl Beer Festival was due back. Apparently it’s not proper craft beer. Only wanted to get some £1.79 Barneys. They’re all pretentious pricks without lasses anyhow.

I suppose we shouldn't be too surprised at the number of helmets spouting off about their beer prejudice.

Beer drinkers are a reflection of wider society after all and lord knows there are some absolute whoppers out there.

I'm quite fond of Aldi Golden Ale which at £1 a bottle and 3.6% is just nice to quaff while sat with the family.

The 'heavy artillery' only comes out on special occasions

Emperors brewery beers are all very highly rated, and very hard to get. Small batch, only one place to buy them I believe, and usually gone in minutes
Brew York doing a Collab with them for their birthday later this year.
Tried any Almasty? Their core range is excellent and yet to have a bad one by them.
I'm in the can club so get everything they make delivered.

Last edited:
Just joined that group, have you tried Wickes?

Back