Covid Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Would you give your £0.25 bn contract to supply PPE to a currency trader with links to Lizz Truss or perhaps to a company with a track record in supplying PPE? Hmm even Johnson’s fan boys must know this is wrong.
Were any of the companies with a track record able to supply at the time?
There could well have been something off with the contract and if so the minister, and numerous civil servants who would have been complicit, will hopefully be held to account if that is the case but why should we assume something illegal has happened?
You call people Johnson fan boys but it’s the dyed in the wool labour supporters who are outraged by this without any evidence that anything untoward has occurred.
I know it wasn’t PPE but remember the media and many on here playing hell that government hadn't placed an order for ventilators with a company in the north west who were agents for disability equipment but who claimed that they could source ventilators from a “contact” in the Middle East who didn’t manufacture ventilators either
The people kicking off are the same ones who criticised the government for not doing enough to source ppe.

Last edited:
Were any of the companies with a track record able to supply at the time?
There could well have been something off with the contract and if so the minister, and numerous civil servants who would have been complicit, will hopefully be held to account if that is the case but why should we assume something illegal has happened?
You call people Johnson fan boys but it’s the dyed in the wool labour supporters who are outraged by this without any evidence that anything untoward has occurred.

The people kicking off are the same ones who criticised the government for not doing enough to source ppe.

Where's the 'outrage' though? I'm not seeing anyone screaming or wailing on this thread, it's mostly just people having a reasonable discussion on the merits of this contract.

Can you honestly say there's nothing about this deal that seems a bit dodgy to you?

Where's the 'outrage' though? I'm not seeing anyone screaming or wailing on this thread, it's mostly just people having a reasonable discussion on the merits of this contract.

Can you honestly say there's nothing about this deal that seems a bit dodgy to you?
The OP is screaming and wailing for a start, there was no discussion in it! In the most part, judgements have already been made.

Of course there is potential for the deals to be dodgy, given the situation at the time there would have been opportunity to swindle the tax payer but that doesn’t mean it’s been the case, it’s also plausible that the ppe was supplied for these contracts. I’d like to think if someone was trying to swindle the tax payer they’d probably not do it with quarter of a billion but you never know.

The OP is screaming and wailing for a start, there was no discussion in it! In the most part, judgements have already been made.

Of course there is potential for the deals to be dodgy, given the situation at the time there would have been opportunity to swindle the tax payer but that doesn’t mean it’s been the case, it’s also plausible that the ppe was supplied for these contracts. I’d like to think if someone was trying to swindle the tax payer they’d probably not do it with quarter of a billion but you never know.

I'm not sure I'd call that screaming and wailing but maybe that's a matter of opinion.

The CEO of a company that manages another company being given a contract to supply PPE despite having few - if any - links to the PPE business is bad enough, but when that CEO is a friend of a cabinet minister things start looking very murky indeed. I'm sure people will see this through their particular partisan lens - given the Tory proclivity for such scandals - but objectively speaking I think it looks bad.

Maybe it's not, maybe they did provide the PPE, but questions ought to be asked...just how exactly did a friend of a cabinet minister get a lucrative contract for something his company has absolutely nothing to do with?

I'm not sure I'd call that screaming and wailing but maybe that's a matter of opinion.

The CEO of a company that manages another company being given a contract to supply PPE despite having few - if any - links to the PPE business is bad enough, but when that CEO is a friend of a cabinet minister things start looking very murky indeed. I'm sure people will see this through their particular partisan lens - given the Tory proclivity for such scandals - but objectively speaking I think it looks bad.

Maybe it's not, maybe they did provide the PPE, but questions ought to be asked...just how exactly did a friend of a cabinet minister get a lucrative contract for something his company has absolutely nothing to do with?
I don’t disagree that questions should be asked, the primary one being was the contract fulfilled and the second being was the price fair. The problem is, this thread isn’t full of people asking questions, it’s people passing judgement based on nothing but assumptions.

I don’t disagree that questions should be asked, the primary one being was the contract fulfilled and the second being was the price fair. The problem is, this thread isn’t full of people asking questions, it’s people passing judgement based on nothing but assumptions.
You’re missing a major point

most contracts have to be tendered. The COVID legislation has reduced this requirement. And there is nothing in this contract that even implies reasonable governance

All of it.

It’s absolutely absurd to argue the gifting (and I use that word deliberately) of a huge procurement contract to a company that a) doesn’t have any capital whatsoever b) has no history in that business

this is contracting 101.
I totally agree however there was extremely animated people in this board who were shouting about giving huge contracts for ventilators to companies whose expertise were in providing access ramps to people.

The company offering 500 ventilators at short notice.

The whole lot was the wild west

I totally agree however there was extremely animated people in this board who were shouting about giving huge contracts for ventilators to companies whose expertise were in providing access ramps to people.

The company offering 500 ventilators at short notice.

The whole lot was the wild west
Says something about how well prepared we were doesn’t it?

I agree on the second point

the government, furlough apart, have been useless tossers on this

Rock and a hard place.. they have fucked up in many cases no doubt.

We are a free and creative country.... Punk and God knows how many trends have originated from these shores.. because people are expressive..

Extremely creative country and with that is because people are rebellious and creative

Rock and a hard place.. they have fucked up in many cases no doubt.

We are a free and creative country.... Punk and God knows how many trends have originated from these shores.. because people are expressive..

Extremely creative country and with that is because people are rebellious and creative
Again, the second half is undeniably true. But that doesn’t detract for government incompetence

I won't argue about some government shite.

Some criticism has been very valid however some has been unfounded cos they are Tories.
That's the argument I try and pick.
I voted neither Tory or Labour last time and I try to be balanced

Furlough was good, and well managed

however

Locking down late
One last hurrah at the pubs
The world beating app produced by Cummings’ sister
The entire Cummings fiasco
Shaking hands is just fine according to Boris
PPE shortages
£108m contract to a company with assets of £19k
Quarantine plan for arrivals into the U.K. finally coming in mid June
Masks on public transport mid June
Boris skipping how many cobra meetings because it was all fine?
pubs opening on a Saturday of all days
the f***ing A66

it’s been a complete shambles. It’s not because they’re Tories. It’s because they’re led by an arsehole. And the entire cabinet are wet behind the ears

I voted neither Tory or Labour last time and I try to be balanced

Furlough was good, and well managed

however

Locking down late
One last hurrah at the pubs
The world beating app produced by Cummings’ sister
The entire Cummings fiasco
Shaking hands is just fine according to Boris
PPE shortages
£108m contract to a company with assets of £19k
Quarantine plan for arrivals into the U.K. finally coming in mid June
Masks on public transport mid June
Boris skipping how many cobra meetings because it was all fine?
pubs opening on a Saturday of all days
the f***ing A66

it’s been a complete shambles. It’s not because they’re Tories. It’s because they’re led by an arsehole. And the entire cabinet are wet behind the ears
I can't argue with much of that.

There are other things though that the government did not receive recognition outside of furlough.

Rate relief. Payment of tax delayed etc..

Many many sme have been helped out incredibly.

Quarantine was a farce agreed.. locking down subjective but arrivals very much an issue agreed...

I was in Spain beginning of march and lockdown there wasn't even a discussion
. I came home Tuesday and it was locked down Friday..

I can't argue with much of that.

There are other things though that the government did not receive recognition outside of furlough.

Rate relief. Payment of tax delayed etc..

Many many sme have been helped out incredibly.

Quarantine was a farce agreed.. locking down subjective but arrivals very much an issue agreed...

I was in Spain beginning of march and lockdown there wasn't even a discussion
. I came home Tuesday and it was locked down Friday..
I agree. On balance it has been a farce

Not as much of a farce as the states of Brazil. But still a complete farce. I don’t think they’re evil, I do think they are useless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back