Covid and Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

And then there's Gareth Bale going to Spurs for his obscene wages, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea etc spending money as if everything is ok. It's f***ing far from ok, what planet are they all from ffs?

Can’t see the season lasting if the cases keep on rising.

will unfortunately mean a lot of clubs may go out of business

How much more seriously can people take this without giving up all reason to exist? We’ve had self-imprisonment, all liberties taken away, every pleasurable ventures stopped, not attending funerals of loved ones, businesses lost, jobs lost. We just have to get on with life or there will be no reason to live!

As long as there is Fortnite and Netflix then what's the issue with another lockdown. ;)

There's an AFC Champions League match later between Al Hilal and Al Ahli where Al Hilal have not been able to name any subs due to COVID and have three goalkeepers in their starting XI (one up front and one at CB).

That’s how we handle the flu. Vaccine the vulnerable every year and the rest of us get by on herd immunity. By next year it’ll hopefully be how we handle COVID as well
Hope so.
Bailout incoming

I hope the premier league is exempt. I’m sure they will agree they can manage for a while before they become a drain on the taxpayer.
( climbs into trench and pulls on flak jacket )

Last edited by a moderator:
Most League 1 and 2 clubs voted to end the season because they couldn’t afford testing, yet they’ve restarted the season and still aren’t testing?

Shambles.
I thought they were.
This season is going to be another shambles so best get yourselves in the top 2 pronto.

I have said all along that no clubs will go under. The amount of money to keep the smaller clubs alive is chicken feed as opposed to the amount spent on furlough.
I am hopeful that the larger clubs and SKY will do their part and voluntarily redistribute their wealth.

I have said all along that no clubs will go under. The amount of money to keep the smaller clubs alive is chicken feed as opposed to the amount spent on furlough.
I am hopeful that the larger clubs and SKY will do their part and voluntarily redistribute their wealth.

This is why the salary cap happened. No bailout from either the govt or EPL would happen without the EFL putting cost controls in first.

Orient have forfeited the game against Spurs and their league against Walsall this weekend has been postponed

This board could do with a conspiracy theory about China aiming to boost success of their football league being the motivation for releasing a deadly virus. China now virus free and allowing limited crowds to matches with the rest of the world in meltdown 🧐

EPL clubs accepting they will have to bail out the EFL and are due to have a meeting on it. They will likely try to insist on cost controls like a salary cap for the Chanpionship and that 75% of the season must be completed. That latter point suggests they think there is real doubt that the EFL season wouldn’t get that far

The Athletic, who have been one of the best sources for reporting on the impact of COVID on sport, have published a piece this on where things stand with the EFL and any potential bailout of the £250 million COVID shortfall the EFL is projecting for this season for a league that was already running at a loss to begin with.

It seems there are lot of ways this still could go in terms of who gets bailed out, for how much, and by who, but the key date for things to start happening is likely to be when November’s wage bill comes due. The domestic transfer window closes on 16th October and the EPL is said to be happy for now for EFL clubs to try and raise funds by selling players, something they would have less incentive to do if a bailout was coming.

Come November that will no longer be an option and serious discussions will have to be had on whether the EPL contributes to any bailout. They in return will have a list of demands of the EFL and UK government (for whom any EPL bailout lessens the need for them to provide one). Included will be a lessening on restrictions for getting work permits for foreign players and a lax approach to post-Brexit restrictions on fielding non-British players. A strict approach is in the EFL’s best interest as their clubs would see a potential increase in demand for their players from EPL clubs should Brexit mean many more British players have to be fielded. A salary cap for the Championship to bring it into line with L1 and L2 is likely to be another demand. Some EPL clubs, presumably the wealthier ones, are asking for EPL B teams to be allowed in the EFL.

If an agreement can’t be reached with the EPL, and a salary cap for the Championship will be a particular sticking point given it is seen as a way for the current EPL clubs ti widen the gap with the EFL, then a £200 million loan from a US hedge fund or private equity firm to be paid back over 20 years is a Plan B. A further option on the table is for the Championship to break away from the EFL and sell a stake in the new league to a private equity firm.
The Athletic is currently doing a £1 per month sub for six months which is well worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back