+++ Coventry City v Maidstone United kick off 1945 ITV4 ITVX +++

I think the Athletic is an ok source for transfer figures tbh. Transfermarkt I find can be hit and miss.

I checked fbref (which I find reliable) and it agrees with you about formations & 1 up top. Although it suggests it shifted early November, not October

Thanks for confirming. Everyone has their own source, it's whatever you're comfortable with.

Sorry, wasn't meant to be a dig. But when I come on here, posters are regularly complaining about players. One game you have brilliant worldbeaters, next after a loss, you're relegation fodder and some shouldn't even be in your squad.

No, I won't say all your fanbase is the same but players need time to settle. Took ours 15 games before they gelled this season.

Do you have a log-in on the Sky Blues Talk forum ? Member there called Grendel is the same. Argumentative, always thinks he's right and never gives up chasing a point.

Being pedantic, you've said he's started 56% of games. That's over half, that could be classed as regular as it's more than his squadmate.
You’re making a big mistake comparing this forum to match-going supporters. We always give players a chance, especially if they put in a shift. We once had Jozy Altidore and everyone was behind him even when he couldn’t hit a barn door.

Sorry, wasn't meant to be a dig. But when I come on here, posters are regularly complaining about players. One game you have brilliant worldbeaters, next after a loss, you're relegation fodder and some shouldn't even be in your squad.

No, I won't say all your fanbase is the same but players need time to settle. Took ours 15 games before they gelled this season.

Do you have a log-in on the Sky Blues Talk forum ? Member there called Grendel is the same. Argumentative, always thinks he's right and never gives up chasing a point.

Being pedantic, you've said he's started 56% of games. That's over half, that could be classed as regular as it's more than his squadmate.
It's because it's a busy forum. After a win the more optimistic fans feel happy and praise the players. When we lose, those who are more pessimistic are more likely to comment. Then there's loads in the middle. You make it sound like the same few people are up and down on a weekly basis when, by and large, that isn't the case. Same as any fan base

Godden has started 22 but I agree Simms is considered regular starter. I don't it means you play every game nowadays

I think Godden's a smashing striker for what it's worth

It's confusing as initially Wright and Simms used to alternate with Godden until we changed formation and Wright was moved to LW almost permanently. That then meant Godden and Simms had to be kept happy instead.

It's because it's a busy forum. After a win the more optimistic fans feel happy and praise the players. When we lose, those who are more pessimistic are more likely to comment. Then there's loads in the middle. You make it sound like the same few people are up and down on a weekly basis when, by and large, that isn't the case. Same as any fan base
Agree with that. A lot of the time you read "this place is bi-polar" type posts whereas actually it's just a different set of fans each week either losing their shit about relegation or getting ahead of themselves and boarding "HMS piss the league"

You’re making a big mistake comparing this forum to match-going supporters. We always give players a chance, especially if they put in a shift. We once had Jozy Altidore and everyone was behind him even when he couldn’t hit a barn door.

Again, apologies. It wasn't my intent to tar everyone.

Agree with that. A lot of the time you read "this place is bi-polar" type posts whereas actually it's just a different set of fans each week either losing their shit about relegation or getting ahead of themselves and boarding "HMS piss the league"
Exactly. As an example, I think Jobe is absolutely fine given he's 18 years old and having to play pretty much every game and is (I believe) our second top scorer (not saying much, admittedly). If he has a good game I might come on and post about it. He was poor on Saturday so I'll likely keep quiet, whilst loads who don't rate him are on saying he's shit, because it's not worth trying to have a debate about it at that time. So it might look like opinions have swung, but it's different people voicing their long held belief. Same with speakman where there's threads about how well he's doing when we're winning, and the speakman out type threads appear by others when the gaps in the squad are being exposed

The tall centre back is Coventry's best player going forwards. Nobody else is bothering to try anything. Actually their ten is putting in a shift as well.

Last edited:
Playing within themselves. No point putting Maidstone to the sword, wouldn't have won us the game any further. Last 2 goals were gimme's.
No disrespect intended (because it would have been exactly the same if they'd drawn us) but you have to feel for Maidstone. So often the really small clubs seem to do so well, you're hoping they pull a mint home tie against man city or something, and they get a couple of draws like Ipswich then Coventry away. They made the most of the first one mind, but trying to do it a second time, when they weren't as much of an unknown quantity, was always likely to see them easily played off the park without even getting the dream tie that you'd almost expect by you get to round 5.

Coventry have bought well with the big money they got from their two best players last season and they've spent just about all of it putting together a decent team.

A blueprint there for us to do the same in the summer, but the last few poor transfer windows do not fill me with confidence.

I don’t know what the commentator was saying about you being the underdog in the next round. I’d fancy you against many of them.

We're the worst out of the last 16. And on current form, we'd struggle against all of them.

But as was said earlier in this thread, football is a weird game. We could lose to Leicester but beat Liverpool's kids.
No disrespect intended (because it would have been exactly the same if they'd drawn us) but you have to feel for Maidstone. So often the really small clubs seem to do so well, you're hoping they pull a mint home tie against man city or something, and they get a couple of draws like Ipswich then Coventry away. They made the most of the first one mind, but trying to do it a second time, when they weren't as much of an unknown quantity, was always likely to see them easily played off the park without even getting the dream tie that you'd almost expect by you get to round 5.

Totally this. They were hoping for a big name and got us. When the draw was made, some of our fans were saying Maidstone were being disrespectful with their groans but you can see it. First time this far in the cup, Man City, Liverpool still in the bag and they get Cov. It would have been a major financial bonus for them, even if they did get beat.

Shame for them but we seem to have found our current level as well. WBA on Friday will be a completely different story. Put a fiver on WBA to win 4-0.
Coventry have bought well with the big money they got from their two best players last season and they've spent just about all of it putting together a decent team.

A blueprint there for us to do the same in the summer, but the last few poor transfer windows do not fill me with confidence.

We've got some serious talent with the money. But we're still short in a few key positions. Expect O'Hare to jump ship in the summer but Robins has already gone on record as looking into the European markets for players. We won't hit the playoffs this season but we're expecting big things next.
The tall centre back is Coventry's best player going forwards. Nobody else is bothering to try anything. Actually their ten is putting in a shift as well.

Tall centre back is Bobby Thomas. Was on loan at Barnsley last season from Burnley. He makes a good team with our other CB, Liam Kitching who we also got from Barnsley. Played last season as their captain. For fun, we also bought Barnsley's keeper, Brad Collins. Solid trio who have played together before. Sunderland-lad Ben Wilson trusted with todays keepership to give him game minutes.

Last edited:
We're the worst out of the last 16. And on current form, we'd struggle against all of them.

But as was said earlier in this thread, football is a weird game. We could lose to Leicester but beat Liverpool's kids.

Totally this. They were hoping for a big name and got us. When the draw was made, some of our fans were saying Maidstone were being disrespectful with their groans but you can see it. First time this far in the cup, Man City, Liverpool still in the bag and they get Cov. It would have been a major financial bonus for them, even if they did get beat.

Shame for them but we seem to have found our current level as well. WBA on Friday will be a completely different story. Put a fiver on WBA to win 4-0.

We've got some serious talent with the money. But we're still short in a few key positions. Expect O'Hare to jump ship in the summer but Robins has already gone on record as looking into the European markets for players. We won't hit the playoffs this season but we're expecting big things next.
Aye, I've felt the same when small clubs have drawn us. We had a few seasons of being the dream tie for the small clubs in rounds 1 and 2 (we normally went out in the first like), but by round 3 you'd totally understand a non league side being disappointed drawing us!

Still fancy you to get close to play offs this season like, really thought you'd do it until hull hit a run of form (as a sunderland fan I reckon they've done some witchcraft by actually strengthening their side in a transfer window mind)

Back