+++ Coventry City v Maidstone United kick off 1945 ITV4 ITVX +++

Yawn. He is a regular starter, the only problem being we also have Matty Godden and Robins has to ensure each forward gets equal time on the pitch.

And we play 1 up front in a 4-2-3-1 formation

But otherwise, your comment has one correct fact. He cost us £3.5m :lol:

He has started a total of 56% of Coventry's league games this season. On what planet does that make him a regular starter?

In addition to your other nonsense, Coventry's most used formation this season has been a 3-4-1-2 formation, by a distance.

Unbelievable that I know more about your own team than you like, but there you go :lol:

He has started a total of 56% of Coventry's league games this season. On what planet does that make him a regular starter?

In addition to your other nonsense, Coventry's most used formation this season has been a 3-4-1-2 formation, by a distance.

Unbelievable that I know more about your own team than you like, but there you go :lol:
He didn’t start much earlier in the season. Hes a regular starter more recently.
Maidstone who beat Ipswich, who beat us. Twice…
I watched National League South at the weekend. It’s really not that good.

Last edited:

they changed to 4-2-3-1 early november with wright now playing from the left

If we’d have spent that kind of money on him, after the season he had for us, and after he had the start he did for you, I think our trans would have reduced him to a mental wreck. He wouldn’t have been given the time you’ve given him.
And this is what I don't get with your setup. You have an amazingly attack minded team. Any striker would relish that opportunity. But those that have been with you haven't.

Not to be taken as a jibe but your fans have very short fuses so players are under more pressure than they need to be.

If your board ever decide to back the manager and buy a central striker, you have to allow them time to settle. And you will see success.

Not sure why people are getting het up about simms. He's playing against a national league north team, which is 4 levels below Coventry. Yes he would be better than the strikers we had but he wasn't overly a convincing footballer and often looked quite clumsy or lethargic,which a lot of people used to comment on. Even at 3.5mil it was more than KLD would give speakman to spend, its about the same we paid for 3 strikers. We definitely wouldn't have paid the guarantee towards 5mil and possibly add ons to 8mil, so it's a moot point anyway.

Last edited:
He didn’t start much earlier in the season. Hes a regular starter more recently.

I watched National League South at the weekend. It’s really not that good.

9 starts in 16 between 2nd December 2023 to-date.

10 starts in 18 between the start of the season and 1st December 2023.

Much of a muchness really and pretty consistent with that starting 56% of games figure across the season as a whole.

And this is what I don't get with your setup. You have an amazingly attack minded team. Any striker would relish that opportunity. But those that have been with you haven't.

Not to be taken as a jibe but your fans have very short fuses so players are under more pressure than they need to be.

If your board ever decide to back the manager and buy a central striker, you have to allow them time to settle. And you will see success.
Agree. We seem to buy strikers who are big lumps and don’t fit our style, or the likes of Rusyn and then don’t play him. At east next season when Clarke has gone we’ll need to change it up.

We’ve all got a short fuse? I think you need to stop listening to rubbish like talk sport

This comment is worthy of a serious guffaw. Stop reading The Athletic. Transfermrkt has breakdowns for each player and shows time on the pitch.

We played 3 CB for the first 10-15 games. Robins changed the formation in October to 4 at the back and with a solo striker. This created our successful run, allowing us to claw our way up the table.

And as I have said, Robins has had to rotate our strikers to keep everyone happy.

You may try and sound intelligent but in this instance, you are found wanting. 🤦‍♂️

That's not quite right. Simms had 0.56 goals per 90 with us last year (more than this season) and Stewart had 0.86.

Different issues this year which are probably more to do with quality/readiness of the signings

Last edited:
So what would you rather have? Them or him?
Not saying that, what I'm saying is we couldn't afford him, and he is pretty average as a footballer. Equally just because he is better than what we have doesnt mean thats the player id want us to sign, theres plenty more players out there to search for
we had no CFs and needed cover even if they aren't ready, we didnt even have any youth strikers to use as cover. His wage will even be more than all our strikers combined I'd imagine.
We just don't have the financial muscle for whatever reason to sign a competent ready striker

Last edited:
We’ve all got a short fuse? I think you need to stop listening to rubbish like talk sport

Sorry, wasn't meant to be a dig. But when I come on here, posters are regularly complaining about players. One game you have brilliant worldbeaters, next after a loss, you're relegation fodder and some shouldn't even be in your squad.

No, I won't say all your fanbase is the same but players need time to settle. Took ours 15 games before they gelled this season.
More mental is how an actual Coventry fan that watches him week in week out thinks he's a "regular starter", when he has only started 19 of their 34 league games.

Do you have a log-in on the Sky Blues Talk forum ? Member there called Grendel is the same. Argumentative, always thinks he's right and never gives up chasing a point.

Being pedantic, you've said he's started 56% of games. That's over half, that could be classed as regular as it's more than his squadmate.

Last edited:
This comment is worthy of a serious guffaw. Stop reading The Athletic. Transfermrkt has breakdowns for each player and shows time on the pitch.

We played 3 CB for the first 10-15 games. Robins changed the formation in October to 4 at the back and with a solo striker. This created our successful run, allowing us to claw our way up the table.

And as I have said, Robins has had to rotate our strikers to keep everyone happy.

You may try and sound intelligent but in this instance, you are found wanting. 🤦‍♂️
I think the Athletic is an ok source for transfer figures tbh. Transfermarkt I find can be hit and miss.

I checked fbref (which I find reliable) and it agrees with you about formations & 1 up top. Although it suggests it shifted early November, not October

Sorry, wasn't meant to be a dig. But when I come on here, posters are regularly complaining about players. One game you have brilliant worldbeaters, next after a loss, you're relegation fodder and some shouldn't even be in your squad.

No, I won't say all your fanbase is the same but players need time to settle. Took ours 15 games before they gelled this season.

A very quick glance and it seems your own forum is no different, for example:

All football forums are the same. Win and everything's perfect, lose and everything's a disaster. This place is exactly the same but hardly an outlier and your own supporters are no different.

Back