County Cricket 2022

brandon

Striker
People will recall how back in late November FTECB announced a delay to the release of the county schedule, until perhaps late January.

Messaging was mixed around what would be where, with a meek admission of "The County Championship 'will be played regularly' until the end of July" (linked below). I would hope the delay was down to the administrators wanting to assess the performance down under and be able to factor that into when proper cricket is played and how much importance it needs to be given. Unfortunately, I think we'd be giving FTECB far too much credit to think that is the reason though given their record. I'd love to see red ball cricket given the respect it requires and again, would hope that following the fallout and backlash from the debacle down under the administrators would recognise the need to prioritise red ball cricket.

We'll see, I don't hold much hope unfortunately.

The delay is due to YCCC as far as I understand, I'm sure it was mentioned in the Times a while back, when the fixtures were first due out.
Yes,they have to await the findings of the CDC (Cricket Disciplinary Commission) which will hopefully be released back end of January with Yorkshire's sanction rumoured to be relegation but retaining their Test match status. I would imagine that the fixtures are already prepared to comply with that sanction.
The CDC is a body independent of ECB...just as Santa Claus is real

That sanction would not make sense, so of course it will be true.

I'd give them both, but if they have to do one or the other the more financially damaging option would be removing Test status.

The obvious and fair punishment would be YCC losing Test status with Durham regaining their own and a potential points deduction suspension.

Naturally, as it's the ECB, it will be a fact finding expedition with the White Rose being given a friendly tap on the wrist.

If Yorkshire are relegated will it be Notts who replace them in division 1?
This season was due to use the 2020 model of ten teams in Div1 and eight in Div2 so I imagine that logic would say that if Yorks were demoted then no one would take their place and would revert to nine counties in each...but as we all know the FTECB don't deal in logic.

This season was due to use the 2020 model of ten teams in Div1 and eight in Div2 so I imagine that logic would say that if Yorks were demoted then no one would take their place and would revert to nine counties in each...but as we all know the FTECB don't deal in logic.
The plan was to have 10 teams in Div1 and 8 in Div2 requiring 3 to be promoted and 1 relegated. Notts,bottom in Div 1,were to be relegated but Yorkshire would be the 1 team to be relegated with Notts remaining in Div1.

The plan was to have 10 teams in Div1 and 8 in Div2 requiring 3 to be promoted and 1 relegated. Notts,bottom in Div 1,were to be relegated but Yorkshire would be the 1 team to be relegated with Notts remaining in Div1.

It would make far more sense to go 9 and 9 really. So they obviously won’t do that. FTECB.

Can't see a connection between voting against 3 up and 3 down and voting for a 10 to 8 split in divisions.
The argument was that if only 2 would go up it gave counties in the 2nd division less chance of competing to win a championship over a period of time because it was more difficult to get promoted.Personally liked the 3 up 3 down kept everyone on their toes and there is no real issue if you are in division 2 if you are producing England players.

Back