Council to provide meals all year round for children from low-income families

Status
Not open for further replies.

Is this really where we’re at as a society? We have families who are so poor the council has to feed children every day of the year?

Shocking we’ve allowed ourselves to get into this state.

- - -
A Scottish council is planning to provide school meals 365 days a year to children from low income families.

North Lanarkshire Council said its proposal would help tackle "holiday hunger".

The "Food 365" programme would cover the 175 days of the year when lunches are not served in school.

If approved, the council will run a pilot project in the spring break and could then extend the scheme over the summer holidays.

Council may feed children 365 days a year

- - -
It is yes. Do you live in a bubble?

My weekly shop has risen about 15-20 quid in the last couple of years for the same amount of shopping. Thats just the shopping.

God knows how someone on benefits with a couple of kids can take this kind of rise along with the other rises utilities etc.

This cannot go on somethings got to give.

Read the article. The food will be part of a package of holiday activities provided at twenty hubs close to where the children live.

I’m in two minds about this to be honest. On the one hand I think that the benefit system that we have should mean that it’s unnecessary - and for the vast amount of parents on benefits it is. On the other hand, I’m not happy to see children go hungry because of feckless parents.

I’ve just done a benefits calculation on a benefits calculator and the minimum that a single parent would receive in benefits would be around £9000 cash in hand with no rent or council tax coming out of that. Should that not be sufficient?

Did you use your postcode or a North Lanarkshire postcode?

Kids have 175 days a year off school? Get the little sods in there learning more stuff

104 days of weekends. 6 weeks summer = 30 days, 2 weeks Christmas = 10 days, 2 weeks Easter = 10 days, 3 half terms = 15 days. May Day also. That's 170 and that's being conservative as to the length of the Christmas and Easter holidays.

104 days of weekends. 6 weeks summer = 30 days, 2 weeks Christmas = 10 days, 2 weeks Easter = 10 days, 3 half terms = 15 days. May Day also. That's 170 and that's being conservative as to the length of the Christmas and Easter holidays.

easier to work out... 40 weeks a year so 200 days - 3 teacher training so 197

365 - 197 = 168 days off a year

I thought different local authorities had different housing benefit rates, depending on the distribution of rental costs in the local market?

Nope, in this case it makes no difference how much the rent or council tax is. If the income is low enough then the person gets full benefit. Obviously the bedroom tax would come into play if they had spare bedrooms but most people won’t be affected by that.

The only effect that there would be would be if the rent was £75 per week in Sunderland, and £100 per week in Lanark. The Lanark person would get £100 while the Sunderland person would only get £75.

The same for the council tax. If it was more in one place than the other then the person in that area would get more, but it wouldn’t make any difference to the cash in hand after rent and council tax. That’s why when I quoted £9000 in my previous post I took off about £4000 to cover the rent/council tax. In this area the single parent with one child under 5 would receive over £13,000 which includes their rent and council tax.

Is this really where we’re at as a society? We have families who are so poor the council has to feed children every day of the year?

Shocking we’ve allowed ourselves to get into this state.

- - -
A Scottish council is planning to provide school meals 365 days a year to children from low income families.

North Lanarkshire Council said its proposal would help tackle "holiday hunger".

The "Food 365" programme would cover the 175 days of the year when lunches are not served in school.

If approved, the council will run a pilot project in the spring break and could then extend the scheme over the summer holidays.

Council may feed children 365 days a year

- - -

If the sweaties stopped spending all the bairns food money on booze we wouldn't be in this situation!

Lanarkshire headteacher used student's cash to buy alcohol | Daily Mail Online

Nope, in this case it makes no difference how much the rent or council tax is. If the income is low enough then the person gets full benefit. Obviously the bedroom tax would come into play if they had spare bedrooms but most people won’t be affected by that.

The only effect that there would be would be if the rent was £75 per week in Sunderland, and £100 per week in Lanark. The Lanark person would get £100 while the Sunderland person would only get £75.

The same for the council tax. If it was more in one place than the other then the person in that area would get more, but it wouldn’t make any difference to the cash in hand after rent and council tax. That’s why when I quoted £9000 in my previous post I took off about £4000 to cover the rent/council tax. In this area the single parent with one child under 5 would receive over £13,000 which includes their rent and council tax.

Well I’m getting much less than £13k on the benefits calculator. About £4k less.

What’s up with that? Is that just hidden deductions and what they actually get is £9k?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back