Council to provide meals all year round for children from low-income families

Is this really where we’re at as a society? We have families who are so poor the council has to feed children every day of the year?

Shocking we’ve allowed ourselves to get into this state.

- - -
A Scottish council is planning to provide school meals 365 days a year to children from low income families.

North Lanarkshire Council said its proposal would help tackle "holiday hunger".

The "Food 365" programme would cover the 175 days of the year when lunches are not served in school.

If approved, the council will run a pilot project in the spring break and could then extend the scheme over the summer holidays.

Council may feed children 365 days a year

- - -

Is this really where we’re at as a society? We have families who are so poor the council has to feed children every day of the year?

- - -
A Scottish council is planning to provide school meals 365 days a year to children from low income families.

The "Food 365" programme would cover the 175 days of the year when lunches are not served in school.

If approved, the council will run a pilot project in the spring break and could then extend the scheme over the summer holidays.

- - -

as a society, I think it's good that we can do that for our poorest. extreme poverty has always existed.

Different world in Scotland.

No chance on earth it will or would happen in the current Tory utopia that exists.

- - -

- - -
Im confused, I thought you would applaud this? I agree that its crackers that it needs doing though

I would have thought there would be enough provision through state support without having to go this far. Who will foot the bill?

It has for years though. Families have just had to struggle

I agree. For a LA to identify this need and provide for it is great but it must be a significant need for them to do so.

I find it a worrying sign that families can’t afford to feed their children when we really do live in an age of plenty - it’s just not plenty distributed

- - -

- - -

I understand what you are saying but if the alternative is giving poorer families more benefits so they can afford food then you have exactly the same thing going on as this case don't you?? The government (local or otherwise) is stepping in with money to help alleviate the problem - whether this is via a benefits increase or an assistance program, more money is being provided to tackle the problem. There will always be unemployed or disabled families that cannot afford food without some form of assistance from the government (although I agree fully that it should be one with more compassion than this bunch of these six-toed, born-to-rule ponyfuckers (copyright The Thick of It)).

You could argue that this way ensures that the extra money goes to feeding the bairns too. In the most deprived areas there is usually an increased number of families with drug/alcohol problems that impair their ability to look after the kids and also where the parents are unable to fill in the forms etc. to claim all the benefits they may be entitled to.

so hows this gonna work then

is the LA gonna run a meals on wheels service? - will cost an absolute fortune

will the kids have to go into school, if so who pays for them to get to school out of term time? - low income families would invariably qualify for free school transport so you've effectively slightly more than doubled the school transport budget, ditto for your food budget, ditto for your catering staff budget

so hows this gonna work then

is the LA gonna run a meals on wheels service? - will cost an absolute fortune

will the kids have to go into school, if so who pays for them to get to school out of term time? - low income families would invariably qualify for free school transport so you've effectively slightly more than doubled the school transport budget, ditto for your food budget, ditto for your catering staff budget

Read the article. The food will be part of a package of holiday activities provided at twenty hubs close to where the children live.

I’m in two minds about this to be honest. On the one hand I think that the benefit system that we have should mean that it’s unnecessary - and for the vast amount of parents on benefits it is. On the other hand, I’m not happy to see children go hungry because of feckless parents.

I’ve just done a benefits calculation on a benefits calculator and the minimum that a single parent would receive in benefits would be around £9000 cash in hand with no rent or council tax coming out of that. Should that not be sufficient?

Back