Council Tax

People are always quick to complain about Council senior officer salaries, but they have to be competitive in order to attract competent candidates. The Chief Exec of an organisation with a budget of close to £300M in other sectors would earn the same as that easily.

Surely everyone just waits until bin day then be first out once the binmen have been to pinch someones in your street?

People are always quick to complain about Council senior officer salaries, but they have to be competitive in order to attract competent candidates. The Chief Exec of an organisation with a budget of close to £300M in other sectors would earn the same as that easily.
It's a fair point to a certain extent. Where it differs is that in the private sector if you don't perform you are history. In local government you can be painfully ordinary or worse and you'd have to do something extraordinary to be sacked. In addition you can propose a restructure which does away with your post and you get a fantastic pay-off. Your 'successor' takes over essentially the same post, but with a slightly different name, and that's fine.
The amount of extra money they're bringing in down here in return for pretty much nothing just isn't good enough.
Just maintaining the current level of service pretty much absorbs the extra revenue taking into consideration the reduction in central government funding.

Last edited:
It's a fair point to a certain extent. Where it differs is that in the private sector if you don't perform you are history. In local government you can be painfully ordinary or worse and you'd have to do something extraordinary to be sacked. In addition you can propose a restructure which does away with your post and you get a fantastic pay-off. Your 'successor' takes over essentially the same post, but with a slightly different name, and that's fine.

That only happens at the very top....a bit like the women at Nat West or Coutts who didn't like Ferange.

Local Government hasn't been an opportunity to take the piss for a long time now.(other than at the top)

Just maintaining the current level of service pretty much absorbs the extra revenue taking into consideration the reduction in central government funding.
People get away with being shite in the private sector as well like.

That only happens at the very top....a bit like the women at Nat West or Coutts who didn't like Ferange.

Local Government hasn't been an opportunity to take the piss for a long time now.(other than at the top)
I've worked in audit for many, many years in local government and I can assure that the piss-taking is ongoing. Some people find ways to exploit whatever position they are in.

I've worked in audit for many, many years in local government and I can assure that the piss-taking is ongoing. Some people find ways to exploit whatever position they are in.

I've worked in LG for 35 years and I've never seen anyone get out with what they want for years...since about 2012. I'm hoping that changes soon !!!!

I've worked in LG for 35 years and I've never seen anyone get out with what they want for years...since about 2012. I'm hoping that changes soon !!!!
Sadly where I work is incredibly cliquey and still a boys club. Covid has been an excuse for a restructure for 2023/4 that was sold on the basis that it would save money. The number of posts in the top two tiers reduced by 1.5 FTE but the total expenditure on salary increased by +£40,000. Absolute pigs snouts in the trough.

Sadly where I work is incredibly cliquey and still a boys club. Covid has been an excuse for a restructure for 2023/4 that was sold on the basis that it would save money. The number of posts in the top two tiers reduced by 1.5 FTE but the total expenditure on salary increased by +£40,000. Absolute pigs snouts in the trough.

Dear me, that's appalling.

Back