Council Tax Single Person Discount

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm not sure a single millionaire in his mansion should pay the same as a student in his house share.

Whilst I agree with you, valuation of the house is a poor metric to determine ability to pay. There will be extremes like that of course but there will be - I suspect - more cases like mine own, where the council tax on a one-bed flat is similar to, or more than, a large house somewhere else.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice flat in a nice part of a nice town and whilst I can afford the council tax, I do think it is disproportionate.

I think a tax on individuals is fairer than a tax on households, but ultimately I think no council tax at all is the very fairest way.

Council Tax is something that doesn't need to exist. Slap an extra x pence on income tax (I'm sure someone could do the maths), saves all the the admin and expense of collecting it. Same with vehicle excise duty, 5p on every litre of fuel, job done. Then you effectively get charged a combination of the amount of miles you drive and the economy of your vehicle, which is much fairer than now.

Because part of the cost is based on the house, not just who lives there. The bin men still have to come to empty the wheelie bin, regardless of how many bags it contains. If your house catches fire, the fire brigade come regardless of how many people live there. If it gets burgled, the police still investigate etc.
My bin is put out half of the pick ups
One less for them to leave in the road

Council Tax is something that doesn't need to exist. Slap an extra x pence on income tax (I'm sure someone could do the maths), saves all the the admin and expense of collecting it. Same with vehicle excise duty, 5p on every litre of fuel, job done. Then you effectively get charged a combination of the amount of miles you drive and the economy of your vehicle, which is much fairer than now.

I guess then those who don't pay income tax would get away with it.

I don't like your petrol idea, I'll pay more.

Last edited:
Whilst I agree with you, valuation of the house is a poor metric to determine ability to pay. There will be extremes like that of course but there will be - I suspect - more cases like mine own, where the council tax on a one-bed flat is similar to, or more than, a large house somewhere else.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice flat in a nice part of a nice town and whilst I can afford the council tax, I do think it is disproportionate.

I think a tax on individuals is fairer than a tax on households, but ultimately I think no council tax at all is the very fairest way.
It's a con on new builds
Guessing what it was worth in 1994
As it happens I bought a big house in Sunderland in 1994 and they valued my house at the exact same money . That's not accurate
I challenged it and they just said everyone is paying it .Go away .

Cash rich people who don't earn, such as millionaires and pensioners, and income tax avoiders.
Personally, I'd have no objection to pensioners not paying. There is no perfect system. A combination of tightening up on income tax and moving various taxes under it's wing would be a start. Won't happen though, particularly with a conservative government, labour are only marginally better.

It's a con on new builds
Guessing what it was worth in 1994
As it happens I bought a big house in Sunderland in 1994 and they valued my house at the exact same money . That's not accurate
I challenged it and they just said everyone is paying it .Go away .

Seems like they couldn’t be chowed and shafted you

Seems like they couldn’t be chowed and shafted you
Many don't realise there's tables in a councils area . Murton and seaham pay the highest rate across the bands .Higher than all the posh Durham areas you can name
I pay £165 with my 25% discount off

Many don't realise there's tables in a councils area . Murton and seaham pay the highest rate across the bands .Higher than all the posh Durham areas you can name
That'll be the Parish Council element. You'll usually find Peterlee and Horden are the most expensive places to live in County Durham in terms of Council tax.

Parish precepts. Central Durham won't have one so it's canny bit cheaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back