Council Tax Single Person Discount

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be fairer though.

A household with three working adults pays, say...£42 a month each.

I pay £115 a month. With the discount.

Is that over 10 months or 12? & what band

I pay about £105 (over 12 months) without any discounts

£25+ a week for 2 weeks work? I'd rather do it myself as a volunteer.

Currently 25% why is it not 50% if the other option is based on two people living together.
Who said the other option is based on two people living together? The average household size in the UK is 2.4 based on ONS data. You risk the slippery slope of heading back to a poll tax model if you argue along the lines of paying per head count.

I had to pay poll tax when I was on a YTS on £30 a week.
Frijj would be gutted. I bet even students paid it those days. He was a student for cm the best part of a decade and he wants a poll tax.
It pisses me off you have to pay more for exactly the same service depending on the value of your house wtf has that goto do with owt !!

It's just trying to be fair. Just like the more you earn the more you pay being fair the income tax.

It pisses me off you have to pay more for exactly the same service depending on the value of your house wtf has that goto do with owt !!

Value of the house in April 1991.
Frijj would be gutted. I bet even students paid it those days. He was a student for cm the best part of a decade and he wants a poll tax.

It's just trying to be fair. Just like the more you earn the more you pay being fair the income tax.

I can't remember how much it was but it was definitely a bastard. :lol:

Band C. I live in a one bed flat, absolute cheek of the council to value it as a Band C IMO :lol:

How is a flat in band C? You should challenge that.

I'm band C and I'm in a 4 bed house.

How is a flat in band C? You should challenge that.

I'm band C and I'm in a 4 bed house.

I haven't a clue. Unfortunately I can't challenge it as I can't prove that there are other flats on the same street that are in a different band, or flats of equivalent value that are in a lower band.

Incredibly, you need to provide actual legal documentation of the price of sale for the house, the VOA won't allow you to use Zoopla, etc.

I was a student for four years. I do think a poll tax is fairer than council tax, but what's even fairer is just centralising that tax then giving the money back to local authorities based on levels of need.

Last edited:
I was a student for four years. I do think a poll tax is fairer than council tax, but what's even fairer is just centralising that tax then giving the money back to local authorities based on levels of need.

It seemed like longer than that. I thought you got some kind of PhD stipend. Probably confusing you with someone brighter. ;)

Seriously though. Poll tax isn't fairer. Unless you think equal taxation is fairer.

It seemed like longer than that. I thought you got some kind of PhD stipend. Probably confusing you with someone brighter. ;)

Seriously though. Poll tax isn't fairer. Unless you think equal taxation is fairer.

I haven't a clue. Unfortunately I can't challenge it as I can't prove that there are other flats on the same street that are in a different band, or flats of equivalent value that are in a lower band.

Incredibly, you need to provide actual legal documentation of the price of sale for the house, the VOA won't allow you to use Zoopla, etc.

Have you tried all the steps on here? It shows you how to get the details you need from official sources that will be accepted.

When I moved in as they wanted to move me up into D while the rest of the street is on either B or C. I challenged that and they kept me in C.

I got my masters paid for, for being a poor working class boy from the arse end of the North East, maybe that's what you're thinking of.

A poll tax is fairer - in my view - because of what council tax is allegedly for - paying for council services.

I create less waste than a larger household. I use the roads less than a larger household. I'm obviously very happy to pay tax into a system that helps society tick over so I'm not against paying tax, I'm in favour of making council tax fairer.

Though, as I say, in a perfect world I would get rid of council tax altogether, wrap it in with income tax, and distribute money to local authorities based on need.
Have you tried all the steps on here? It shows you how to get the details you need from official sources that will be accepted.

When I moved in as they wanted to move me up into D while the rest of the street is on either B or C. I challenged that and they kept me in C.

Thanks Becs, I'll take a look, because the .GOV website basically told me I was stuffed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back