Council Tax Rises

I get the shift in the personal allowance and that just about covers the extra going out on council tax I think.
Playing devils advocate possibly, is it not better to give less to central government, and more to local services were it is easier for local people to hold them to account? If it leaves you and me with the same in our pocket whichever way?

I know it isn't that simple in reality, but the principal seems sound. Id rather my tax funded the metro and not cross rail for example

They will raise it as often as they can as near as they can to what is allowed.

If we feel we are getting value for money then it shouldn’t be an issue

It’s just not many of us feel that way

So I presume this will rise year on year?

Residents told to expect years of council tax rises

Water rates going up as well, I read the TV Tax increasing. Wage not.

Squeezing the budget this.

Central govt (tories) slash local govt budgets by half (targetting biggest cuts for Labour led areas), local govt then has to raise council tax to try and provide some basic kind of services. Central govt then points out that it is Labour councils who are the worst culprits for raising council tax while conveniently forgetting to mention they were the councils given the biggest cuts. Frustrated by poor services locally and wanting someone to blame the public then latches onto the criticism and slaughters their local Labour council while the Government get away with their appalling cuts without criticism.

So froze it in effect.

Depends how pendantic one wants to be. I was living in Durham during the initial 'freeze' and my bill saw an anual increase of just over £1 iirc due to the parish precept going up. Now a 0.1% increase is not a freeze regardless of how small it was.

Depends how pendantic one wants to be. I was living in Durham during the initial 'freeze' and my bill saw an anual increase of just over £1 iirc due to the parish precept going up. Now a 0.1% increase is not a freeze regardless of how small it was.
Just saying council tax was froze for years, for most people under the tories no matter how you dress it up. I think you get my point.

Central govt (tories) slash local govt budgets by half (targetting biggest cuts for Labour led areas), local govt then has to raise council tax to try and provide some basic kind of services. Central govt then points out that it is Labour councils who are the worst culprits for raising council tax while conveniently forgetting to mention they were the councils given the biggest cuts. Frustrated by poor services locally and wanting someone to blame the public then latches onto the criticism and slaughters their local Labour council while the Government get away with their appalling cuts without criticism.
Who funds the Govt?

I have no doubt your correct in this. But do you know of any official sources for how much each council gets from the government year on year? I'd be curious to see how much it's been cut from labour 10 years ago.

Back