Council Tax Rises

Probably not this year, no. I didn’t say that either, so you can take your straw men and set the **** on fire for all I care.

How many of those students have the means to pay council tax?
Aren’t you the fella who makes single mums sign non-disclosure agreements after you’ve took them to the cinema?

We voted in a government who are unlikely to increase local government funding. Council tax rises are the only alternative.

You had the chance to vote them out.
People's choice
Democracy
You lost.
Suck it up.
Leave the county.

Have I missed anything?
In an area like Durham who saw Labour lose approx 20 councillors in the last election, I'd class that as a positive result for someone who doesn't like Labour, then the defeat in Shildon last year and the 2 councillors in my ward who quit Labour, that's a decent hit for a hardcore Labour area. Like you say though it's democracy, I'm not crying wanting a second vote of wishing any of them death, I'm happy to wait until May and hope more get kicked out because that's how democracy works. That said the house is going on the market on Friday, so Durham council tax may not be a concern of mine for much longer.

Councils in the North are being hammered with cuts whilst many in the South are getting rises in their government grant.

Those who voted tory up here should be happy though I presume.
Really clever by the tories, once the cuts start, people will blame the incumbent labour council, who'll likely have to increase council taxes to make up the short fall. It will suit WHED and the like, not interested in education, public services and social care, only there own far right political ideology

Last edited:
Really clever by the tories, once the cuts start, people will blame the incumbent labour council, who'll likely have to increase council taxes to make up the short fall.
Spot on...of course everyone can have a pop at the Cooncil...however, it is a fact that Labour Councils have been hit the hardest.

I fully appreciate Labour with Corbyn as leader was not an atractive option (hopefully they wont repeat the same mistake and elect Corbyn MKII in Wrong Daily) however I will never ever get my head around working class people voting for the tories. Laughable that they think Johnson, Gove and Rees Mogg speak for them.

Labour really needs to get its act together and elect a sensible leader to take the fight to the tories.

Last edited:
In an area like Durham who saw Labour lose approx 20 councillors in the last election, I'd class that as a positive result for someone who doesn't like Labour, then the defeat in Shildon last year and the 2 councillors in my ward who quit Labour, that's a decent hit for a hardcore Labour area. Like you say though it's democracy, I'm not crying wanting a second vote of wishing any of them death, I'm happy to wait until May and hope more get kicked out because that's how democracy works. That said the house is going on the market on Friday, so Durham council tax may not be a concern of mine for much longer.
Having said that we have just got our water rate bill in for the coming year from Northumbrian Water and it's been reduced £100 a year, from last year. Happy days !
So I presume this will rise year on year?

Residents told to expect years of council tax rises

Water rates going up as well, I read the TV Tax increasing. Wage not.

Squeezing the budget this.
Northumbrian water rates have dropped by £100 this coming year. We've just got our new direct debit in. Happy days.

Last edited:

Back