Coughlin returns

I’m not as Durham connected as most on here but is a terrible signing in my mind

reeks of someone who can’t get fit and needs a contact. And he quit as soon as he got a better offer, having never really done enough for Durham. Borthwick and Rocky at least contributed massively for years

The lad has had some terrible luck! But he is the same lad that attracted interest from the lions long before he left Durham... the injuries he has sustained are because he is 100% all the time! Something he can’t help! He is fit and not injured at all.... nearly never made it back onto a cricket pitch after his shoulder injury for the lions and he’s been to hell and back.
People keep saying about the money at Nottingham? He was no better off living in Notts than he was at home... and this need a contact thing is bullshit... Nottingham where offering him a longer term contract and a lot more money to extend his stay down there! He is a young man who is newly married and has a future to build! Leave the kid alone and get behind him because Durham should be proud to have him! Things have changed since he left and I said at the time people didn’t have a clue about behind the scenes but he’s back now and he will show people they are wrong about him

The lad has had some terrible luck! But he is the same lad that attracted interest from the lions long before he left Durham... the injuries he has sustained are because he is 100% all the time! Something he can’t help! He is fit and not injured at all.... nearly never made it back onto a cricket pitch after his shoulder injury for the lions and he’s been to hell and back.
People keep saying about the money at Nottingham? He was no better off living in Notts than he was at home... and this need a contact thing is bullshit... Nottingham where offering him a longer term contract and a lot more money to extend his stay down there! He is a young man who is newly married and has a future to build! Leave the kid alone and get behind him because Durham should be proud to have him! Things have changed since he left and I said at the time people didn’t have a clue about behind the scenes but he’s back now and he will show people they are wrong about him
Afternoon Mr Coughlin.

hell on

I'll accept what you say as you claim to know much more about his situation than I do. Clearly he is a talented cricketer who, if he stays fit,would be an asset to any team.
A dislocated shoulder is a serious injury for a pace bowler-I wonder if his future prospects would be brighter if he concentrated solely on his batting. I' m confident he has the ability to be a successful middle order batsman, which is where Durham need strengthening.

I'll accept what you say as you claim to know much more about his situation than I do. Clearly he is a talented cricketer who, if he stays fit,would be an asset to any team.
A dislocated shoulder is a serious injury for a pace bowler-I wonder if his future prospects would be brighter if he concentrated solely on his batting. I' m confident he has the ability to be a successful middle order batsman, which is where Durham need strengthening.

Strange decision to give him a 3 year deal considering his fitness problems .Even more so in light of the Graham Onions scenario of 1 year with an option of an extra 1 if proven fit etc

The fact he has tried so hard to come ‘home’ speaks volumes about how much he wants to be playing for Durham.

Adds to the batting and bowling, as well as bringing captaincy experience.

Hopefully he can put his injuries behind him and kick on to fulfil his potential

The fact he has tried so hard to come ‘home’ speaks volumes about how much he wants to be playing for Durham.

Hopefully he can put his injuries behind him and kick on to fulfil his potential
Hardly, he's returned to Durham for 'personal reasons'- he's admitted that himself. If he loved playing for Durham that much he wouldn't have left in the first place.

Hardly, he's returned to Durham for 'personal reasons'- he's admitted that himself. If he loved playing for Durham that much he wouldn't have left in the first place.

explained this earlier and explained when he left that was a lot of things behind the scenes that was wrong with Durham at the time! He wasn’t the only one who was aware of this...put it this way very little effort from Durham to keep him. But fair play to him he never spoke out of turn or called anyone out on it...it was always his hope of coming back to Durham... He burnt no bridges and he’s back. Youll get 1000%

Poor signing IMO.

Raine and Carse are better all rounders IMHO

Last edited:
I feel a touch cynical about this.

However he's a good player when/if/ever fit.

No issue with your comments. My cynicism stands, if i'm wrong he proves to be an asset to the team and Durham go from strength to strength.

Last edited:

Back