Cote d'Azur excursions

I’ve been in Spain coming up a year. Got approved for their new “Digital Nomad” visa.

Heading back to the States in the summer but could come back - 3 year visa if you apply within the country.

How did you go about getting a place to live? I was hammering Idealista for ages with no luck. Still not sure if that website's a scam or not.

How did you go about getting a place to live? I was hammering Idealista for ages with no luck. Still not sure if that website's a scam or not.
Idealistas not a scam. Whats the problem with getting a place in Spain?
Supply and demand innit. Loads of places free in Spain. Literally millions

Seldom got replies. Was only after a 90-day max lease.

It’s a sore topic in Spain right now which will explain it.

Homelessness skyrocketing on the Baelarics because landlords are hoying prices up and on illegal max term tenancies aimed at ex pats and holidaymakers.

It hasn’t quite hit mainland Spain but the people stranded on the baelarics have go somewhere

I'm there much of the time
You can get a ferry from Nice to St Tropez during the summer
Monte Carlo is only 30 minutes away by train - likewise Cannes the other direction (not so exciting) - but you can get a ferry from Cannes to a little Island (Isle des lerin - St Honorat) - with a monastery and vineyard (though in general the region is not really a wine area
Eze village is lovely
I must admit i prefer Sainte Margueritte ( where the origional man in the iron mask was held) i often jump on the ferry outside mine (Golfe Juan) just to wander about and swim
i would not bother with St Tropez tbh its just one of those places to tick to say you have been- but maybe you want that?
as others have probably said - get the train to St Raphael- like a mini Cannes ( about an hour from Nice -Change at Cannes) the views are stunning down the coast- you could even pick your favorite and get off on the way back-- Theoule sur mer is my favorite.
If its beaches you want you are better heading down the coast- Antibes/Juan les Pins - Golfe Juan are sandy as is the old harbour area of Cannes as well as the far side of Cannes--Cannes la Bocca
if you are there in June wave as you go from Juan to Golfe on the train i will be somewhere on the beach and will wave back :)
ps sit upstairs on the train facing front left for the best views going towards St raphael and front right facing for towards Monaco

I must admit i prefer Sainte Margueritte ( where the origional man in the iron mask was held) i often jump on the ferry outside mine (Golfe Juan) just to wander about and swim
i would not bother with St Tropez tbh its just one of those places to tick to say you have been- but maybe you want that?
as others have probably said - get the train to St Raphael- like a mini Cannes ( about an hour from Nice -Change at Cannes) the views are stunning down the coast- you could even pick your favorite and get off on the way back-- Theoule sur mer is my favorite.
If its beaches you want you are better heading down the coast- Antibes/Juan les Pins - Golfe Juan are sandy as is the old harbour area of Cannes as well as the far side of Cannes--Cannes la Bocca
if you are there in June wave as you go from Juan to Golfe on the train i will be somewhere on the beach and will wave back :)
ps sit upstairs on the train facing front left for the best views going towards St raphael and front right facing for towards Monaco

Cannes, Antibes, Monaco and St Tropez were the places I thought worth seeing as those are the ones I'd heard of.

Having done a bit of digging, asking around and reading this thread, it would seem they're the places worth swerving. Which is good to know.

Cannes, Antibes, Monaco and St Tropez were the places I thought worth seeing as those are the ones I'd heard of.

Having done a bit of digging, asking around and reading this thread, it would seem they're the places worth swerving. Which is good to know.
I like Antibes tbh old town side for bars food etc. Juan side for beaches/beach bars etc I often walk from mine into juan/Antibes along the beach (25 min walk)
I like Antibes tbh old town side for bars food etc. Juan side for beaches/beach bars etc I often walk from mine into juan/Antibes along the beach (25 min walk)
I also like cannes but maybe I'm too close and handy to it.

Last edited:
Yes that’s right, both correct.

Last year was the first time I bothered trying working remotely from abroad, which is ridiculous really considering I have barely set foot in an office since 2019.

I tend to have to work 9-6 UK hours though so being outside of Europe would be a no go anyway.

Last year i just did it for a month with the intention of f***ing off for the rest of the year but life got in the way and I ended up staying in London after a stint back home.

Do we work in the same industry then?

Definitely doing the boat thing like. Cheers.

ah cool, makes sense. Doesn’t get much better than Europe,,I’d be making most of it!

Do you mind asking me your specific area, just out of interest?

I used to copywrite a long time ago, I’ve been in newsletters, which I don’t enjoy really but it’s allowed me live this lifestyle and do things couldn’t imagine. New job needed in summer so I’m just starting to think what I want to aim to and if I can make it remote.

ah cool, makes sense. Doesn’t get much better than Europe,,I’d be making most of it!

Do you mind asking me your specific area, just out of interest?

I used to copywrite a long time ago, I’ve been in newsletters, which I don’t enjoy really but it’s allowed me live this lifestyle and do things couldn’t imagine. New job needed in summer so I’m just starting to think what I want to aim to and if I can make it remote.

Might revisit it again when my lease is up in October but work has been absolutely shite so far this year.

I work in adland, agency side. I'm a bit of an all rounder. Feel free to drop me a PM.

Might revisit it again when my lease is up in October but work has been absolutely shite so far this year.

I work in adland, agency side. I'm a bit of an all rounder. Feel free to drop me a PM.

Thought you were. Yeah that’s long term remote ain’t it so no rush. Thanks man might do yeah. Back in UK next month so just starting to plan now.

There's a nice beach/bay at Cap D'ai, east of Nice, on the coastal railway. Get off the train and head downhill to the shore. Turn right and it leads on a coastal path to a small bay surrounded by cliffs. Turn left, towards Monaco and you can/could walk to Monaco along the water's edge.

Aye starts In Florence finishes in Nice .

I'm in Florence a couple of days after the start I think

I also like cannes but maybe I'm too close and handy to it.

I love Cannes. It's absolutely bonkers in places

Last edited:

Don't swerve Antibes mate. It's fantastic. One of the few weekend trips I've repeated. As your man says Juan le pins is lovely for sitting at the beach club for a spot of lunch and a laze about. As has been mentioned the train along the coast hopping on and off is good. I absolutely love aixe (going to see a mate who has moved back there sadly as he has brain cancer in June) but it's a decent schlep to get there for you without a car. Absolutely 100% go to Grasse. The perfumeries are something else. I've done fragonard and guerlin there. Vence is where my sister in laws family holiday every summer and it's lovely for walking. There's a walled town worth a half day visit too which I've forgotten the name of but it'll come to me. I don't mind at tropez. It gets a bit flashy in summer but better with a lot of the Russians now gone.

Back