Cote d'Azur excursions

The railway line along that stretch of the coast runs almost literally behind the beach and is a great way to spend a day out. A panoramic view with very reasonable fares

West towards Antibes, Cannes and St Raphael. Onwards towards Toulon and Marseille
East towards Beaulieu, Villefranche, Eze, Cap d'Ail, Monaco, Cap Martin and Menton. Onwards into Italy - San Remo is a nice place imo.

I usually go east and get off at (say) Menton Garavan, the last stop before the Italian border, such as it is, and then walk back west along the prom, have a coffee, then a spot of lunch (fish soup?) and walk as much or as little as I fancy to the next station and get on a train back to Nice. Nice!
I came on here to recommend that along with a little back lane restaurant in Antibes which didn't have a menu and just served you what they had on. Beautiful beef ragu followed by lemon tart when I was there. I have absolutely no idea where it is or what it was called and it was thirteen years ago so no point on me being on this thread really, but I hope the OP has a pleasant time on his jaunt. :lol:

Am I the only person with a clause saying I can't work from outside of the UK? 😡

I work for myself. No clauses.
Are you going on your own? Sounds a bit lonely although I'm sure there will be plenty to do.

Me neither.

No, my lass is going to Cannes Lions for work so we’ve decided to make it into an extended trip.

I worked from abroad for a month last year and had a blast though.
Id give Monaco a miss too. Looks like a Bulgarian tourist resort. Can see flash cars and yachts in many other places that aren't full of scruffy looking tower blocks.

Noted, thanks.

Last edited:

No, my lass is going to Cannes Lions for work so we’ve decided to make it into an extended trip.

Noted, thanks.
Should be brilliant. Is she up for an award?

Last edited:
Am I the only person with a clause saying I can't work from outside of the UK? 😡
I am fortunate that I work on a project with engineering / procurement offices in Japan, Construction in Texas and supplies from all over the world.
Attitude is wherever I am will work for some, not others thus they don’t much care as long as I am doing the job.
Seville and then a Dubrovnik return next.

I'd give Antibes a miss
Beaulieu is nice but next door is St Jean Cap Ferat - that is a beautiful walk and a pretty harbour (with some sandy beaches) - A friend has a boat there (look at me) :)
You can get a bus there from Nice - or get a train to Beaulieu and walk (a picturesque 20 minute walk past David Nivens old house - truly stunning location)
Oh I thought Antibes was lovely. If you got loads of time take a trip to San Remo over the border that's a nice wee town but gets very crowded in the summer, about an hour in the train. And of course Pompei (?) and Herculaneum
Oh I thought Antibes was lovely. If you got loads of time take a trip to San Remo over the border that's a nice wee town but gets very crowded in the summer, about an hour in the train. And of course Pompei (?) and Herculaneum
God I just had a mind fact there cos I was also talking about Amalfi with someone there. Ignore the old Roman town bit ☺

Last edited:
Avoid Grasse.

Aye, I've never understood why it's in all the recommended places to visit. It's a f***ing dump.

Sunday market along in Ventimiglia is supposed to be good. I've never managed to wake up early enough or without a rank hangover to manage to get to it.

Hire bikes and cycle up the Col d'Eze.

Fantastic thank you. Is Antibe worth a visit? What about Beaulieu-sur-Mer? Cheers.
Antibes definitely worth a visit for a chilled vibe sitting in the bars watching the world go by, find out when the jazz festival is on.
Port Grimaud near Saint Tropez an option for a day trip or combine with sť T.
It's a pleasant town built right on the sea and there's cheapish boat hire to dawdle round the town on. Decent restaurants etc

Last edited:
I work remotely. Cheers.

Where else you been?

Been in Mexico down to SA ages now.

You a copywriter mate, or did I get that wrong?

My company is gonna go bust, had a good ride doing this last few years, my job is quite niche so if I want remote again gonn have to work hard in UK again...dreading it!

Sorry to derail your thread btw just interesting seeing someone do the same thing.

Noted, thanks.

ha I was there with my ex lass other year, advertising I take it?

Agreed on others, Monaco is a miss for me.

Last edited:
Where else you been?

Been in Mexico down to SA ages now.

You a copywriter mate, or did I get that wrong?

My company is gonna go bust, had a good ride doing this last few years, my job is quite niche so if I want remote again gonn have to work hard in UK again...dreading it!

Sorry to derail your thread btw just interesting seeing someone do the same thing.

ha I was there with my ex lass other year, advertising I take it?

Agreed on others, Monaco is a miss for me.

Yes that’s right, both correct.

Last year was the first time I bothered trying working remotely from abroad, which is ridiculous really considering I have barely set foot in an office since 2019.

I tend to have to work 9-6 UK hours though so being outside of Europe would be a no go anyway.

Last year i just did it for a month with the intention of f***ing off for the rest of the year but life got in the way and I ended up staying in London after a stint back home.

Do we work in the same industry then?
Antibes definitely worth a visit for a chilled vibe sitting in the bars watching the world go by, find out when the jazz festival is on.
Port Grimaud near Saint Tropez an option for a day trip or combine with sť T.
It's a pleasant town built right on the sea and there's cheapish boat hire to dawdle round the town on. Decent restaurants etc

Definitely doing the boat thing like. Cheers.

Last edited:
I am fortunate that I work on a project with engineering / procurement offices in Japan, Construction in Texas and supplies from all over the world.
Attitude is wherever I am will work for some, not others thus they don’t much care as long as I am doing the job.
Seville and then a Dubrovnik return next.
It’s more tax and payroll issues companies put it in.

You can go light a tab off the Olympic flame, hang about and catch Olympic football and the finish of the tour de France.
Going to be busy this summer Nice hope you've got your digs sorted.
Is the tour finishing in Nice this year? I know it's not in Paris cos of the Olympics. Was in Nice for the end of the Paris, Nice....Run for the Sun once it was good fun.

Back