Cost of fitting new double electric socket

best one was there was a few grands mess and we dont know whos it was so every subby is having £600 knocked off.
Stopped working for utter kernts like that, id sooner sit in the house.

pick n choose carefully now.
We just finished a hotel job and they’d ran over budget. Gaffer got a phone call asking how much discount they could have off the final payment. Got told to fuck off basically.

I’ve met a few very talented, honest sparks in my time, who know the game inside out and know all the tricks to get a job done quickly. This means they do the same amount of work as a slower spark, but in 1/2 or 2/3 of the time, which means less disruption for the customer too. Cheesy feet is saying those lads should be penalised for being good at their trade? If I was working on one of those jobs, I’d being throwing the anchors on and slow my work rate to the same as those slower lads, why kill yourself for nothing?
This is what I meant by about these fellas on the phone. You can tell them a mile off.
Trigger words for me are.
It’s only a couple of tiles
If I had the cable I’d do it myself
My mate says it’s easy
Someone from the club quoted me
What’s your day rate
Il buy the gear
My mate says your cheap
I just want a Ballpark figure

You can’t win with these people.
Love these, especially the one “someone from the club...”
Neckenders, usually the type who haven’t worked an honest day in their life anarl

Last edited:
We just finished a hotel job and they’d ran over budget. Gaffer got a phone call asking how much discount they could have off the final payment. Got told to fuck off basically.

laughable. Theres another one but i may have to wait a year or two to tell it.;)

Pay guvvy job rates and you take your chances. More often than not you'll get a decent job still but when you don't you only have yourself to blame. I'm paid an hourly rate at my job but that's not how much it costs the company to employ me. It costs loads more once you factor pension contributions, insurance and all the other carry on. Not sure why we seem to assume a registered tradesman gets all the money you pay him as his take home wage.

So you would talk an unqualified incompetent person through an electrical job. Wow.
It’s dangerous to work on electrics lads. Get someone qualified in please.

It cost £550 for my tester.
£350 for my latest edition of qualification needed £1000 overall and 4 years training
£1000 in tools
£1000 a year 3rd party insurance.
You need to drive to the job and back.
Like all trades, everything is fine until someone gets hurt.

As mentioned, it's a like for like job, pretty simple really, isolate the supply, unscrew the plate (2x screws) take a picture of where the wires go, unscrew wires from terminals, screw into new terminals, fasten plate (x2 screws). You must be daft to think that only qualified competent people should be doing things like this, you only need to be fully qualified to sign work off. I'd much rather check that someone is comfortably doing this and walk them through it than charge them £60 for 10 minutes work.

As mentioned, it's a like for like job, pretty simple really, isolate the supply, unscrew the plate (2x screws) take a picture of where the wires go, unscrew wires from terminals, screw into new terminals, fasten plate (x2 screws). You must be daft to think that only qualified competent people should be doing things like this, you only need to be fully qualified to sign work off. I'd much rather check that someone is comfortably doing this and walk them through it than charge them £60 for 10 minutes work.
And what if it was wired wrong from day one. Say reverse polarity or has no earth? What happens then? How would you tell him to test it? eh? eh? eh?
:lol:

And what if it was wired wrong from day one. Say reverse polarity or has no earth? What happens then? How would you tell him to test it? eh? eh? eh?
:lol:

Well in that case I'd expect it be fucked already and it wouldn't work :evil: :lol:.

In all seriousness though folks, get a proper sparky for electrical jobs unless your'e competent at DIY and have done electrical jobs before, not saying you need to be qualified but certainly have a bit experience. If doing anything major get a spark in to carry out the work or at least sign it off as safe.

Well in that case I'd expect it be fucked already and it wouldn't work :evil: :lol:.

In all seriousness though folks, get a proper sparky for electrical jobs unless your'e competent at DIY and have done electrical jobs before, not saying you need to be qualified but certainly have a bit experience. If doing anything major get a spark in to carry out the work or at least sign it off as safe.
It would work with these faults though. ⚡💥🔥

Whats the odds these folk who want to pay feck all firmly believe every business owner is minted, living the life of riley.
Suggest they give it s shot.
It’s not easy that’s for sure. There’s no fun sitting at home poorly and getting no money. Or trying to book a holiday when it’s either busy (no time) or quiet (no money).
Oh I know.

A circuit that was isolated an the MCB wouldn't be live even if it has reverse polarity though would it?
No but when it’s all connected back up it will work ok but be wired wrong so when something that is polarity sensitive is plugged in it will trip/blow. Leading the homeowner to think that it’s the item at fault not the electrics as they ‘work’ fine. It’s common. No earth will work fine until a faulty appliance is plugged in and you touch said faulty appliance and end up with curly teeth.

Last edited:
Question @the boot , we’ve a mccb randomly trips once or twice a week, often with nothing online at that time?
About 11 year old n no issues prior. Possible it could just be ferked?
Question @the boot , we’ve a mccb randomly trips once or twice a week, often with nothing online at that time?

63a siemens rccb

Qualified no. Competent definitely. It's amazing what simple task people can fuck up.

63a siemens rccb
Impossible to diagnose without test and inspection- could be absolutely anything

Last edited:

63a siemens rccb
That’s where I’d start being the cheapest easiest fix. If it was a wiring fault I’d expect the rccb to trip.

Back