Coronavirus compendium thread

2 students of mine have been on an exchange trip to Italy over the last week. They've been to a few places one of which was Venice which is an area that has confirmed cases. They've either come back today or early tomorrow morning and I have a class with them tomorrow afternoon.

I expressed my concerns about it to my bosses and they've basically said that the sensationalist press is blowing everything out of proportion and that according to the local health service, no cases have been confirmed in the region and they're aware of students on exchange trips, none of whom have shown signs of symptoms therefore according to their guidelines, they're allowed to live a normal life.

However, should they suddenly notice symptoms, they should stay at home or visit the doctor 🤔.

Seems daft that they would just allow teenagers to come home from an exchange trip after being in an area with cases of infection and just allow them to go back to school and roam around public places if they currently show no signs of symptoms despite the incubation period being 1-14 days of which only 6/7 will have gone by.

According to local health service, they have a protocol in place if any cases are confirmed. It just seems to me that they're waiting for a case to start with the protocol rather than take measures to prevent it spreading from people returning from areas affected.

Nowt to do with corona virus but this just reminded me...

Had a letter from the bairns school the other week from the health service due to one of the pupils picking up meningitus.

First para in the letter said meningitus isnt contagious so nowt to worry about. Dont go to doctors.

Second para then said meningitus is contagious but only insidenof your own home. Dont go to doctors.

Third para said anyone who could have caught it had already been notified.

Fourth para said if you show symptoms see a doctor.

Chucked the letter now but wish I'd kept it. Unbelievable really.

You are absolutely correct, and I probably should have edited my figures and apologise for that. I personally don't think it is going to be a massive global killer, despite it being a significant threat, however, I am still watching the development with interest. I think the global economy will continue to remain cautious, and there may end up being school/workplace closures, and cancellations of sporting events here in the UK.

The point I was trying to make (admittedly unsuccessfully) is that due to the way it manifests it is pretty much impossible to contain it, so life should continue as normally as possible as exposure to the virus may by this stage be unpreventable anyway.
Now let's see: Your first post implied we were all fucked. Your second post seemed to say; 'Ah fuck it, if you get it, you get it.' And despite what I have been told repeatedly on this thread, it is invariably the very elderly or those with underlying health conditions that die. It's not that f***ing bad man, it's not black death - it's a mild flu that kills the already weakened.

Now let's see: Your first post implied we were all fucked. Your second post seemed to say; 'Ah fuck it, if you get it, you get it.' And despite what I have been told repeatedly on this thread, it is invariably the very elderly or those with underlying health conditions that die. It's not that f***ing bad man, it's not black death - it's a mild flu that kills the already weakened.
It's not mild for fucks sake

3.4% death rate

That could go higher as many infected are still classed as sick

Am I the only one on here who contracted Asian Flu back in the 50’s

Even though in my teens that was rough and it ended up killing a few million world wide

It's not mild for fucks sake

3.4% death rate

That could go higher as many infected are still classed as sick

I could argue with the source of your percentage but I won't. What I will say is that leaves you a 99.6% chance of surviving it, which figure includes those with underlying health conditions and the very elderly. Now, would you back a horse that had a just shy of 97% chance of winning? I would, but you can carry on with your chicken little screeching if you wish. I will see you here in a few months when there is an imminent chance of nuclear war/worst winter ever/new pandemic.

I have decided to edit this post with: Nobody can ease your mind if you are determined to be scared. I will stop calling folk fannies for being scared if they stop calling me thick for not being scared.

Last edited:
I could argue with the source of your percentage but I won't. What I will say is that leaves you a 99.6% chance of surviving it, which figure includes those with underlying health conditions and the very elderly. Now, would you back a horse that had a just shy of 97% chance of winning? I would, but you can carry on with your chicken little screeching if you wish. I will see you here in a few months when there is an imminent chance of nuclear war/worst winter ever/new pandemic.

I have decided to edit this post with: Nobody can ease your mind if you are determined to be scared. I will stop calling folk fannies for being scared if they stop calling me thick for not being scared.
Yes, it is worse than the flu: busting the coronavirus myths

Italians 'harassed' in London

An Italian journalist in London, Federico Gatti of broadcaster Mediaset, reports some harassment of Italians in London linked to the coronavirus emergency.
He told the BBC he had heard from two Italian families in London “whose kids were subject to verbal abuse by other kids in school, because of their nationality”. One of the fathers called it “a minor episode”.
But Gatti said “throughout this week I’ve received calls and texts from Italians in the UK about verbal abuse or discrimination”.
“Yesterday I interviewed an young Italian professional whose family was coming over from Naples. Her landlord forbade her to have her parents visit her, or simply to open the door to them. That’s illegal, and she’s going to get legal counselling for this.”
Gatti tweeted about the discrimination reports on 26 February.
“In six hours on that day I received four reports from Italians in London: a TV producer, a banker, a woman dentist and the young professional. I see it as all linked to coronavirus."

WTAF???
This is my biggest worry, the social outbreak. It wont take much for people to go batshit. Did a run on the shops for supplies today just in case. Highly unlikely it will get to that point but its cost me nothing other than the cost of shopping in the event that it does.

Back