Consett Man - Baby Assault - 8 year sentence

• Thread starter Deleted member 32773
  • Start date
You have to separate the individual and the act itself on this one. Although the details of the incident are horrendous I can see how a young person of previous good behaviour could lose their temper with a baby. The details make me feel physically sick but I'd be willing to make a distinction between the 'evilness' of the action and the individual in this case. I very much doubt he took any pleasure or sadistic satisfaction in what he did. Mind you if he has any conscience I'd consider him to be a massive suicide risk because I'd be begging to die if I was him.

I think this is a good point. I don’t in anyway shape or form condone what he’s done but from what I’ve read it sounds like an outburst of rage from a probably very immature young man rather than an evil act.

The sentence should be harsher but he’s still got to live with what he’s done. Probably fucked his own life by doing it. Imagine him trying to explain it to a lass in future he meets or when he’s trying to apply for a job. I think the lads gunna have a very hard life regardless.

Whilst I agree with you, I'm posing the question how you rehabilitate someone like that?

I'm no expert in rehabilitating prisoners, but in the words of a senior social worker speaking to the Irish Times about parents losing their temper and shaking their babies, "sometimes good people do bad things".

I'm not saying this person was a good person, but I'm sure some people who do shake their babies are for the most part, good people driven to breaking point. Many will be devastated for the rest of their lives.

Yeah and just think how much of a better place the would be

Would it be better? The baby is still going to be disabled. I'm not sure society gains much from executing anyone whose actions result in the death of someone else. What would society gain if you took your eyes off the road for a second, didn't see a child crossing, hit them and killed them? Do you think society would be better off with you dead, for a momentarily lapse of concentration? I am not drawing any parallel between your hypothetical actions here and the shaking of this baby, but you did say

"He has more or less ended another humans life or at least quality of life therefore for me death penalty is what is needed"

"Consett Man.... Baby Assault"

Sounds like the worst superhero movie ever? What's ConsettMans power? Shivering? Making Crisps?

Seriously though, it's scary to think how this goes on so close to home. It's terrifying to think that you could talk to someone like that in a pub or at a bus stop and not know.

We live in a horrible world at times.

Last edited:
I'm no expert in rehabilitating prisoners, but in the words of a senior social worker speaking to the Irish Times about parents losing their temper and shaking their babies, "sometimes good people do bad things".

I'm not saying this person was a good person, but I'm sure some people who do shake their babies are for the most part, good people driven to breaking point. Many will be devastated for the rest of their lives.

Would it be better? The baby is still going to be disabled. I'm not sure society gains much from executing anyone whose actions result in the death of someone else. What would society gain if you took your eyes off the road for a second, didn't see a child crossing, hit them and killed them? Do you think society would be better off with you dead, for a momentarily lapse of concentration? I am not drawing any parallel between your hypothetical actions here and the shaking of this baby, but you did say

"He has more or less ended another humans life or at least quality of life therefore for me death penalty is what is needed"
I disagree with that. Perhaps it comes through experience but holding a young baby and knowing they have zero motor skills or indeed the ability to hold their head up, snapping just doesn't excuse it. I know he wasn't the father so maybe that changes things slightly but I've never ever been near the point of snapping like that. Sure I've lost my rag. I did this morning when child 2 refused to choose her tights and screaming blue murder whilst child 1 was tearing her library book apart but I just went downstairs and didn't shake them to death although at the time it would have made the house quieter.

I don't know the answer. It was more of a hypothetical question.

Its been proven in a court of law that this animal has shook a defenceless baby almost to death so much show it will now be disabled and blind for the rest of its life

Death is the only option i would want as that babys parent

Whilst I agree with you, I'm posing the question how you rehabilitate someone like that?
Surely this is a really quite easy person to rehabilitate? It’s not the behaviour of someone who is completely deranged & never fit to be in society eg a serial killer or serial child abuser... it’s someone who has lost patience and acted impulsively. Rehabilitation would be a large amount of support eg anger management and making sure they were prohibited from being alone with a child or vulnerable person unsupervised.

Surely this is a really quite easy person to rehabilitate? It’s not the behaviour of someone who is completely deranged & never fit to be in society eg a serial killer or serial child abuser... it’s someone who has lost patience and acted impulsively. Rehabilitation would be a large amount of support eg anger management and making sure they were prohibited from being alone with a child or vulnerable person unsupervised.
Good grief.

Anger management tik he shakes his daughter to death. Right

I think a momentary lapse of concentration that is proved in a court of law is different to shaking a baby so hard its almost dead
Worth noting that the NSPCC estimates that up to 250 babies a year suffer life changing injuries as a result of being shaken. I'd imagine that not all of these are people that deserve to die. The injuries are actually very easy to inflict. It doesn't make it any less tragic. I think the 'evil' tag is best left to those who take sadistic pleasure in it rather than inadequate individuals who for a variety of reasons lose their rag with a screaming baby.

I think a momentary lapse of concentration that is proved in a court of law is different to shaking a baby so hard its almost dead

But did you not say

Your burden of harm for the death penalty wasn't even causing loss of life, it was simply causing a huge decline in quality of life.

Do you wish to change your opinion?

I’m not saying it isn’t a serious crime... I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve a long prison sentence... I’m saying it was heat of the moment (however terrible) and thus different from some premeditated serious offences.

I think Urban Silverback's name is rather appropriate, if you get my drift.

It isn't a fair sentence, I agree, but I don't think it is grounds for execution. If we were to have the death penalty it would surely have to be reserved for pre-meditated murders, or systemic patterns of the most severe types of abuse.
Aye, that and burglary. And fly tipping.

As mentioned on previous threads. Do-gooder justice in full affect here...

Have the ususal posters been along yet to say its a long enough term. Prison doesnt work. Police did what they could. Judge didnt have any powers to give him any longer etc etc :rolleyes:

Last edited:
He has more or less ended another humans life or at least quality of life therefore for me death penalty is what is needed
What about if you knocked one of us nice cyclists off our bike and caused death or permanent injury?

I'm saving your reply for if it happens and I'm building the gallows in me back garden!

Back