Consett Man - Baby Assault - 8 year sentence

• Thread starter Deleted member 32773
  • Start date

Not a fair sentence, he'll be free in 4 years. This story is truly horrific and beyond comprehension, this person does not deserve to live.

What is it with numerous cases involving shaking babies? What is the cause of it (usually)? People losing their temper?

It seems to me like you would have to shake a baby pretty hard to cause that sort of injury.

Not a fair sentence, he'll be free in 4 years. This story is truly horrific and beyond comprehension, this person does not deserve to live.

It isn't a fair sentence, I agree, but I don't think it is grounds for execution. If we were to have the death penalty it would surely have to be reserved for pre-meditated murders, or systemic patterns of the most severe types of abuse.

Ultimately he was an 18-year-old lad, who doesn't appear to be the child's father but was looking after him anyways, and it seems like he just snapped. I'm not absolving him of what he's done, he should do time and the sentence isn't long enough at all, but deaths of babies being shaken to death are usually impulsive acts of deep frustration from fathers who have ran out of patience with their child's crying.

Again, for those who I am sure are about to fly at me in a rage, I am not absolving him of what he has done. No amount of frustration justifies what he has done in any way, but it is an impulsive crime driven by the deepest of frustrations. I simply cannot see the death penalty being appropriate.
What is it with numerous cases involving shaking babies? What is the cause of it (usually)? People losing their temper?

It seems to me like you would have to shake a baby pretty hard to cause that sort of injury.

You might find these articles interesting

Last edited:
It isn't a fair sentence, I agree, but I don't think it is grounds for execution. If we were to have the death penalty it would surely have to be reserved for pre-meditated murders, or systemic patterns of the most severe types of abuse.

Ultimately he was an 18-year-old lad, who doesn't appear to be the child's father but was looking after him anyways, and it seems like he just snapped. I'm not absolving him of what he's done, he should do time and the sentence isn't long enough at all, but deaths of babies being shaken to death are usually impulsive acts of deep frustration from fathers who have ran out of patience with their child's crying.

Again, for those who I am sure are about to fly at me in a rage, I am not absolving him of what he has done. No amount of frustration justifies what he has done in any way, but it is an impulsive crime driven by the deepest of frustrations. I simply cannot see the death penalty being appropriate.

What if it was your baby?

I can see what you are saying pal. That kid though will have an uphill battle for the rest of his days with his brain injuries. No independence and dependent on others. The sentence is a joke though. If the lad that’s done it has any conscience he will have many a sleepless night. If not then he will never bring anything to the table.

A truly horrific story. A young bloke who couldn't handle the frustration of looking after a baby. I don't think he is evil. More likely he is immature and unable to deal with the emotional challenge of looking after a baby. It's utterly tragic.

What if it was your baby?
I'd be outside of the clink with a machete and cut his limbs off one by one

Young babies have no muscles in their neck. Or rather the ability to hold their own heads.

He has more or less ended another humans life or at least quality of life therefore for me death penalty is what is needed

Whilst I agree with you, I'm posing the question how you rehabilitate someone like that?
You have to separate the individual and the act itself on this one. Although the details of the incident are horrendous I can see how a young person of previous good behaviour could lose their temper with a baby. The details make me feel physically sick but I'd be willing to make a distinction between the 'evilness' of the action and the individual in this case. I very much doubt he took any pleasure or sadistic satisfaction in what he did. Mind you if he has any conscience I'd consider him to be a massive suicide risk because I'd be begging to die if I was him.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to separate the individual and the act itself on this one. Although the details of the incident are horrendous I can see how a young person of previous good behaviour could lose their temper with a baby. The details make me feel physically sick but I'd be willing to make a distinction between the 'evilness' of the action and the individual in this case. I very much doubt he took any pleasure or sadistic satisfaction in what he did. Mind you if he has any conscience I'd consider him to be a massive suicide risk because I'd be begging to die if I was him.
I don't think so but I do understand where you're coming from. The act came about because if the individual. We've all lost our cool at some point with our kids. I know I have. I just understand where the boundaries lie. Even at my angriest/most frustrated I couldn't even begin to imagine shaking a baby so hard it causes brain damage.

Back