Concerts at SOL in 2022

The lack of access points, etc means the stage position cuts the SJP concert capacity a canny bit! I cannot find official details, but taken from the last batch of gigs up here:

“You can see the full scale of St James’ Park packed with 50,000 people.” - Chronicles review of Ed Sheeran.
"The show played out in front of 55,000 at Sunderland’s Stadium Of Light" - The Metro review of Take That

So it appears that not only the SoL is the better stadium for concerts (being able to actually host big production shows), but also has a bigger capacity for stadium concerts. Seems to me Ticketmaster needs to update that list.
To be fair, having the stage along the side of the pitch, as at SJP, is tons better than having it at the end such as at the SOL.

Sorry, should have posted that the Ed Sheeran gig was sold out too! From the same article:
"Ed Sheeran sold out St James' Park in Newcastle and this is what it looked like"

that doesn't mean anything though. they often have half capacity at the arena and have the curtain close half of it off and and say it was sold out

To be fair, having the stage along the side of the pitch, as at SJP, is tons better than having it at the end such as at the SOL.

It's like that at SJP because the stadium doesn't have ability (access points, electrical, etc) to be any other way. Unless it's literally band and amps (Ed Sheeran, Kings of Leon), SJP just doesn't have the ability to host it. You will never see big production bands from AC/DC to acts like Taylor Swift play there, because SJP just doesn't have the ability to host big production shows.

SoL has none of these problems and appears to have a larger concert capacity, so from that point of view, is tons better for stadium shows.
that doesn't mean anything though. they often have half capacity at the arena and have the curtain close half of it off and and say it was sold out

No section of SJP, apart from the stage restrictions as stated, was closed off for Ed Sheeran though.

I've been to a few gigs that have had sections closed off, but none I can think of that state they were sold out. Do you have any examples of this?

Last edited:
It's like that at SJP because the stadium doesn't have ability (access points, electrical, etc) to be any other way. Unless it's literally band and amps (Ed Sheeran, Kings of Leon), SJP just doesn't have the ability to host it. You will never see big production bands from AC/DC to acts like Taylor Swift play there, because SJP just doesn't have the ability to host big production shows.

SoL has none of these problems and appears to have a larger concert capacity, so from that point of view, is tons better for stadium shows.

No section of SJP, apart from the stage restrictions as stated, was closed off for Ed Sheeran though.

I've been to a few gigs that have had sections closed off, but none I can think of that state they were sold out. Do you have any examples of this?

A sold out gig means they sold all the tickets allocated

He’s outstanding live. Hit after hit. Well worth a watch if you’ve never seen him before.

I went to see him in Singapore a few years back (2007 maybe) wasn't a huge fan but figured it was worth going along as he probably wasn't going to tour much more and it was one to tick off the list - he was excellent much better than I thought he would be put on a great show and was on stage for about 2.5 hours. Worth going to see him IMO (he did play Shanghai on an earlier tour and my mate went along - the majority of the crowd only knew the songs from the Lion King)

The lack of access points, etc means the stage position cuts the SJP concert capacity a canny bit! I cannot find official details, but taken from the last batch of gigs up here:

“You can see the full scale of St James’ Park packed with 50,000 people.” - Chronicles review of Ed Sheeran.
"The show played out in front of 55,000 at Sunderland’s Stadium Of Light" - The Metro review of Take That

So it appears that not only the SoL is the better stadium for concerts (being able to actually host big production shows), but also has a bigger capacity for stadium concerts. Seems to me Ticketmaster needs to update that list.
Probably

Back