Compulsory purchase order

No you're wrong.
People couldn't wait to leave them.
Flat roofs / steel framed construction with lightweight crosswalls.
The valuation for compulsory purchase reflected that.
You might have a different option which is fair enough.
I'm not wrong. I know plenty who lived in them and didn't want to move. Especially when they were offered derisory sums which meant they couldn't then buy similar sized homes elsewhere in Sunderland. It was indefensible truth be told.

I'm not wrong. I know plenty who lived in them and didn't want to move. Especially when they were offered derisory sums which meant they couldn't then buy similar sized homes elsewhere in Sunderland. It was indefensible truth be told.

Under CPO they should be giving the landowner the market value possibly with a slight uplift. However CPO only comes into force if the organisation undertaking the CPO can’t negotiate a price first. Therefore I’m guessing they offered a derisory sum to start as that’s what’s in the interest of the company (not saying it is right of course). If people accepted that sum then perhaps they felt railroaded into accepting the sum offered.

Compulsory Purchase Orders - HomeOwners Alliance

Bought a cheep house in Castletown for a while years ago.
After only living there about 5 years or so, council compulsory purchased the entire block and knocked them all down.
I made a nice tidy profit thank you very much! Quids-in I was!

Under CPO they should be giving the landowner the market value possibly with a slight uplift. However CPO only comes into force if the organisation undertaking the CPO can’t negotiate a price first. Therefore I’m guessing they offered a derisory sum to start as that’s what’s in the interest of the company (not saying it is right of course). If people accepted that sum then perhaps they felt railroaded into accepting the sum offered.

Like when they evacuate the rest of the street leaving it to go to rack and ruin with rats and shit and vandals setting fire to the vacant homes whilst they are still living there? Yup. Like @Kevsgreat said, offering an old couple 20 odd grand for their home and expecting them just to move on is disgraceful.

Like when they evacuate the rest of the street leaving it to go to rack and ruin with rats and shit and vandals setting fire to the vacant homes whilst they are still living there? Yup. Like @Kevsgreat said, offering an old couple 20 odd grand for their home and expecting them just to move on is disgraceful.
Was it not a similar situation when they knocked that big lump of Pennywell down? I seem to recall folk were being offered buttons; maybe a fair reflection of the price people paid to buy their ex council homes but nowhere near enough to move on and start again without going into debt.

Was it not a similar situation when they knocked that big lump of Pennywell down? I seem to recall folk were being offered buttons; maybe a fair reflection of the price people paid to buy their ex council homes but nowhere near enough to move on and start again without going into debt.
Completely, that's the point that's being missed when talking about "fair market value". It completely ignores any aspect other than the monetary value of a property on a half demolished housing estate.

Guys around here are being offered fuck all for their properties - they've CPOed a few so far, and we're into the scheme where HS2 will buy if the prospect of it means you can't sell your house - but because it's an urban area and not London, they're offering fuck all and it's only for those affected directly by the track... so we're going to basically be under a dual carriageway flyover where they re-route roads to link into the stations and fit the line - but because that's not the actual HS2 line we get nada. Probably absolutely fucked our chances of selling and moving up the ladder really - thankfully we bought at the very bottom of the market so negative equity is minimal at least.

Guys around here are being offered fuck all for their properties - they've CPOed a few so far, and we're into the scheme where HS2 will buy if the prospect of it means you can't sell your house - but because it's an urban area and not London, they're offering fuck all and it's only for those affected directly by the track... so we're going to basically be under a dual carriageway flyover where they re-route roads to link into the stations and fit the line - but because that's not the actual HS2 line we get nada. Probably absolutely fucked our chances of selling and moving up the ladder really - thankfully we bought at the very bottom of the market so negative equity is minimal at least.

Have you got yourself a market valuation for your property? I would get that as a means as the minimum negotiation point. Don’t sell and then when it goes to enquiry they should have to at least offer you the market value. They only CPO the property by court order so would need to go to enquiry first, if they negotiate a value before hand then that they have not CPO’d you, as far as I understand.

I may be wrong but they can’t / shouldn’t be valuing the property on the basis of the demolished estate they’ve created around the said property.

I think my point is that they can offer what they like prior to the CPO. Also I think the may have to pay for the affected parties legal expenses? Again I may be wrong.

Last edited:
I may be wrong but they can’t / shouldn’t be valuing the property on the basis of the demolished estate they’ve created around the said property.

I think my point is that they can offer what they like prior to the CPO. Also I think the may have to pay for the affected parties legal expenses? Again I may be wrong.
I doubt you are in theory wrong mate but maybe a tad naïve to what happens in reality. ;)

I doubt you are in theory wrong mate but maybe a tad naïve to what happens in reality. ;)

probably right as I’ve thankfully not had to go through it nor know someone else who has. I think all I was saying is that CPO is only when the courts forces the landowner to sell and was just wondering if that is what had happened Ie courts have set the price?

I think what happens if they do it in old council estates where the majority are still owned by Gentoo. Then they kick out the tenants so it all goes to shit then low ball the owners until most of them get sick.

That's what it looked like they did on what is now meadow view near Newbottle. A few waited years and had their post codes deleted from databases but ended up with a new build. One remained.

Back