Claudio Reyna story on SI.com

Why though? He only played about 8 times.

Pretty much this. I quite liked him, you could tell he was a good footballer, but his impact at SAFC was no more than plenty of others in that era. According to wiki he only played 28 league games for us, that's not enough to be remembered as anything more than a footnote tbh unless he'd scored winning derby/ big cup game goals, which he didn't

Some people gan on as if he was one of the best midfielders to wear the shirt - I've already listed several players from the same era who were better. He's the very definition of overrated.
We were very lucky with the midfielders we had at the time as you say, but we'll have to agree to disagree as to him being over-rated. He was always in my starting 11.

Doubt it as Germany won. As performaces go the USA outplayed them (IIRC) to 'Mag-esque possession trophy winning proportions' and Reyna ran the game. I have fond memories of him for SAFC, probably as one of our better players at that time, but don't recall him dominating our games in the same manner.

It was more than just possession. Oliver Khan had the game of his life.

He played in a team that only stayed up on the final day because Ipswich lost 5-0 and was then relegated with the the lowest ever points tally the following season. That's a failing team in my book
Still not as bad as now.
We were getting beat by some quality premier league sides, where as now total crap are beating us.
Surely you can grasp that?!

Schwarz was brilliant mind. Had so much time on the ball. Still, I did like Reyna and he was undoubtedly a huge miss after his injury at bolton.

Agree with all of this. Schwarz was a real pleasure to watch: he was clearly slowing up during his years with us, but he was so technically proficient in all aspects of midfield play.

That said, I'm bemused by the number of joyless people on here who seem unable to take any pleasure in having watched Reyna played for us, as if the fact that there were other players who played for longer and had bigger impacts preclude any further discussion.

I bet Michael Ballack was gutted.
Ballack still owes me £10 from when Chelsea stayed in The Marriott prior to the game against us. He wanted to use the internet in the foyer but didn’t have any cash on him

Schwarz
Rae
Hutchison
McCann't
Roy

All far more effective for us in that era. Of these games Reyna allegedly ran I'd like to see how many we actually won. Not many I reckon.

I think he was a bit of a novelty 'cos he was 'Captain America' and had a bit of an exotic name, but he wasn't much use as I recall. He captained us to 17th place.

Back