Claudio Reyna story on SI.com

Thought he was a good player for us but he joined as the team was declining, if he'd have played with scwarz I think they'd have done well together.

Great read. I was struggling with what words to use then I re-read your post ... "sad but beautiful" is very apt.

I thought Reyna was a cracking player for us. His performance for USA v Germany in the 2002 WC was one of the best individual performances I've ever seen.

I remember that, was proud to say he was ours. Honestly thought they would pull it off

Absolute tosh.

He was one of the best players to pull on a Sunderland shirt.

In my opinion he was UNDERATED.

Give over. He had three/four stand out games for SAFC and that was it. Mostly he was tidy but didn't do enough, not a bad player by any means but injuries probably hampered him. Had a cracking World Cup in 2002 but didn't really replicate that form here.

Quality player. Was injured for a lot of the 19 point season and we didn't half miss him.

Only had one really good game against Man United and was struggling with form (as were most) before he got injured. We missed him because of what we had to rely on afterwards i.e. Thirlwell, but his absence didn't really leave a big hole to fill as he'd not played enough or done enough by then to miss him.

Brilliant player

For the USA he was, for us he had three really good games - Blackburn, Derby, Leicester (absolutely played them on his own) 01/02 and Man United 02/03. Too many games passed him by. Very tidy and classy on the ball, just not enough of an influence as is made out.

Overrated back then and his stock's increased year on year since.

Give me Stefan Schwarz any day.
Stefan Swarz was indeed a good player, But So was Claudio Reyna (unless there's another Claudio Reyna that I don't know about). He was a great player for us, just a tragedy that his stay with us was another that was short lived. Anterior Cruciate IIRC and then a transfer to Citeh.

Stefan Swarz was indeed a good player, But So was Claudio Reyna (unless there's another Claudio Reyna that I don't know about). He was a great player for us, just a tragedy that his stay with us was another that was short lived. Anterior Cruciate IIRC and then a transfer to Citeh.
He really wasn't marra, I saw it first hand. We finished 17th in his only season where he was fit. Might have been maybe, but a great... no chance.

Only had one really good game against Man United and was struggling with form (as were most) before he got injured. We missed him because of what we had to rely on afterwards i.e. Thirlwell, but his absence didn't really leave a big hole to fill as he'd not played enough or done enough by then to miss him.

For the USA he was, for us he had three really good games - Blackburn, Derby, Leicester (absolutely played them on his own) 01/02 and Man United 02/03. Too many games passed him by. Very tidy and classy on the ball, just not enough of an influence as is made out.
Serious question but how the fuck do you remember claudio reynas performances against blackburn, derby and leicester from 17 years ago ?!

To be fair mate that is impressive memory. Chapeau!

He was class! Pretty sure he also got into the World Cup team of the tournament as well. We have had plenty of players leave Sunderland who our knowledgable fans thought we bang average. Alonso, Borini being the most recent examples.

Exactly. We missed the likes of Rae, Hutch and probably even a character like Bally moreso than we ever missed Reyna.

I bet Michael Ballack was gutted.

Schwarz
Rae
Hutchison
McCann't
Roy

All far more effective for us in that era. Of these games Reyna allegedly ran I'd like to see how many we actually won. Not many I reckon.

I think he was a bit of a novelty 'cos he was 'Captain America' and had a bit of an exotic name, but he wasn't much use as I recall. He captained us to 17th place.

Reyna was a good player. But the players you name were all far more effective for us (maybe not Roy). His fitness record was also very poor.

All in all, a fairly insignificant player in our history.

Reyna was a good player. But the players you name were all far more effective for us (maybe not Roy). His fitness record was also very poor.

All in all, a fairly insignificant player in our history.

was injured quite a bit granted but a real classy player who was totally underrated IMHO, was worth the admission money to watch him, I was delighted when we signed him
Serious question but how the fuck do you remember claudio reynas performances against blackburn, derby and leicester from 17 years ago ?!

ask Prince Andrew

Last edited:
So was I. But ultimately achieved very little.

as did the team, as always i might add, i used to watch Claudio closely during matches as he rarely gave the ball away. he was fantastic against Germany in the WC and also excellent against Mexico, ran the games as he did when he played for us

Great player and really nice bloke. I got to meet him at and have dinner with him once when I was working with a boxer. The boxer had a physio called Jim schultz and we had a dinner anned and he asked if his friend could come along as he was over from America visiting. We said yeah no probs so Jim turned up with claudio. I was like wow. Told him I was a mackem right away. He was happy to talk football with me and a few weeks later I had a package from Jim and it was a signed lads shirt. Still got it framed.

Back