Claudio Reyna story on SI.com

I don’t think there were many of us who saw Claudio Reyna play for SAFC who didn’t think he was one of the classiest midfielders, and characters, we’ve had play for us over the past two decades.

Fairly sure this isn’t SEB, but there’s a sad but beautiful story just come on Sports Illustrated’s .com site about the death of Claudio’s son, Jack, at the age of 13 and how his son Gio is now a top footballing prospect back home in the US.

Anyway, if you fancy a read, you can find it here:

https://www.si.com

I don’t think there were many of us who saw Claudio Reyna play for SAFC who didn’t think he was one of the classiest midfielders, and characters, we’ve had play for us over the past two decades.

Fairly sure this isn’t SEB, but there’s a sad but beautiful story just come on Sports Illustrated’s .com site about the death of Claudio’s son, Jack, at the age of 13 and how his son Gio is now a top footballing prospect back home in the US.

Overrated back then and his stock's increased year on year since.

Give me Stefan Schwarz any day.

Great read. I was struggling with what words to use then I re-read your post ... "sad but beautiful" is very apt.

I thought Reyna was a cracking player for us. His performance for USA v Germany in the 2002 WC was one of the best individual performances I've ever seen.

Great read. I was struggling with what words to use then I re-read your post ... "sad but beautiful" is very apt.

I thought Reyna was a cracking player for us. His performance for USA v Germany in the 2002 WC was one of the best individual performances I've ever seen.
I bet Michael Ballack was gutted.

Absolute tosh.

He was one of the best players to pull on a Sunderland shirt.

In my opinion he was UNDERATED.
Schwarz
Rae
Hutchison
McCann't
Roy

All far more effective for us in that era. Of these games Reyna allegedly ran I'd like to see how many we actually won. Not many I reckon.

I think he was a bit of a novelty 'cos he was 'Captain America' and had a bit of an exotic name, but he wasn't much use as I recall. He captained us to 17th place.

Last edited:
Doubt it as Germany won. As performaces go the USA outplayed them (IIRC) to 'Mag-esque possession trophy winning proportions' and Reyna ran the game. I have fond memories of him for SAFC, probably as one of our better players at that time, but don't recall him dominating our games in the same manner.

Schwarz
Rae
Hutchison
McCann't
Roy

All far more effective for us in that era. Of these games Reyna allegedly ran I'd like to see how many we actually won. Not many I reckon.

I think he was a bit of a novelty 'cos he was 'Captain America' and had a bit of an exotic name, but he wasn't much use as I recall. He captained us to 17th place.

He wasn't captain.

Although his freekicks against Leicester kept us up, I didn't think he had a great first season with us, and we missed Hutchison. But after the World Cup, Reid (or the rest of the team) seemed to realize that, unlike Hutchison, he needed the team to play a certain way--with lots of off-the-ball running--to get the best out of him. Hutchison had more pace, whereas Reyna tended to wriggle free of players in a tight area and would then look to play an incisive pass rather burst forward on his own, which was why he did well in a US team featuring Landon Donovan.

He had some terrific performances at the start of his second season. I thought he was superb against Man Utd, in the game with the Keane-McAteer sideshow. Had it not been for injury, and the team's predominant slide during that period, he would probably have eclipsed the excellent Schwarz.

Back