Claudio Reyna story on SI.com

Reyna was a good player who didn't play enough for us. Schwarz the standout for me in that era but we had many good players then, Brace, Rae, Clark, Hutchison for starters

I bet Michael Ballack was gutted.

Schwarz
Rae
Hutchison
McCann't
Roy

All far more effective for us in that era. Of these games Reyna allegedly ran I'd like to see how many we actually won. Not many I reckon.

I think he was a bit of a novelty 'cos he was 'Captain America' and had a bit of an exotic name, but he wasn't much use as I recall. He captained us to 17th place.

If put him above Rae (even though I loved watching him), McCann and Roy.

Eric Roy played a handful of good games, but wasn't as consistent or effective as Reyna.

If put him above Rae (even though I loved watching him), McCann and Roy.

Eric Roy played a handful of good games, but wasn't as consistent or effective as Reyna.
Played a similar amount in a team that finished 7th as opposed to one that finished 17th (and rock bottom though I appreciate he fucked his knee)

I don’t think there were many of us who saw Claudio Reyna play for SAFC who didn’t think he was one of the classiest midfielders, and characters, we’ve had play for us over the past two decades.

Fairly sure this isn’t SEB, but there’s a sad but beautiful story just come on Sports Illustrated’s .com site about the death of Claudio’s son, Jack, at the age of 13 and how his son Gio is now a top footballing prospect back home in the US.

Anyway, if you fancy a read, you can find it here:

https://www.si.com
Shame he was so injury prone.
Where have I heard that before ?:)

I bet Michael Ballack was gutted.

Schwarz
Rae
Hutchison
McCann't
Roy

All far more effective for us in that era. Of these games Reyna allegedly ran I'd like to see how many we actually won. Not many I reckon.

I think he was a bit of a novelty 'cos he was 'Captain America' and had a bit of an exotic name, but he wasn't much use as I recall. He captained us to 17th place.

Not as good as the two in bold for us.

As good as Rae but for a shorter period of time. Better footballer than McCann. Better player than Roy.

He was a very good footballer. I'm 33 and he is one of the best I've seen in a Sunderland shirt. He shouldn't be, but because we've been badly ran the reality is, he is last 25 years.

I remember he was the dominant midfielder against man United and you had to be good to do that at the turn of the millennium against them. He had pedigree, could handle the ball (as reidy said), was quite tenacious, mobile and could pop up with a goal.

Man, I felt emotional reading that story.

I don’t think there were many of us who saw Claudio Reyna play for SAFC who didn’t think he was one of the classiest midfielders, and characters, we’ve had play for us over the past two decades.

Fairly sure this isn’t SEB, but there’s a sad but beautiful story just come on Sports Illustrated’s .com site about the death of Claudio’s son, Jack, at the age of 13 and how his son Gio is now a top footballing prospect back home in the US.

Anyway, if you fancy a read, you can find it here:

https://www.si.com

Classiest?? Remember hearing good things about him at Rangers. Never that good at Sunderland. Forgettable . Perhaps in a better team would have done more. Did nothing after Sunderland of note.

Back