Civil Liberties?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye, let's pollute our lungs with old diesel motors and then get a virus which attacks them. At least we'll have our civil liberties whilst on ventilators.

Aye, let's pollute our lungs with old diesel motors and then get a virus which attacks them. At least we'll have our civil liberties whilst on ventilators.
Not quite a simple as that, say you are an octogenarian with a dicky ticker, you know you haven't got long left, is it right for such a person to be locked away in social isolation? Would it not be humane to inform them of the risks involved, and then allow them to see grandchildren etc.?

Or you could argue that people have stopped following the science because they dont believe it is working. I am not saying that lockdowns are wrong, but there is certainly debate out there, that questions their effectiveness. For parliament to pass such legislation with such limited scrutiny is worrying.
How representative of the breadth of scientific thinking is the SAGE committee . I see professor Neil Ferguson is still involved, despite believing that lockdown didn't apply to him, and predicting 200 million worldwide deaths from swine flu when the total was in fact under 200.

Almost like we did something near the start of November that in someway impacted the cases?
Logon or register to see this image

Almost like we did something near the start of November that in someway impacted the cases?
Logon or register to see this image

According to that the R rate peaked in mid September and was dropping steadily in the preceding weeks, which correlates with the other graph.

I think it shows that maybe the original Tier system was working but because of “worst case scenario” it was still decided that a full lockdown was needed - it probably wasn’t.

According to that the R rate peaked in mid September and was dropping steadily in the preceding weeks, which correlates with the other graph.

I think it shows that maybe the original Tier system was working but because of “worst case scenario” it was still decided that a full lockdown was needed - it probably wasn’t.
Most people at work and education open as normal isn't a full lockdown by any means.

Most people at work and education open as normal isn't a full lockdown by any means.

Which shows that the drop in cases is more to do with the reduced R rate and not shutting up shop.

The national lockdown was a conduit to getting areas into Tier 3 lockdowns and nothing else, as local authorities weren’t playing ball.

How can coming out of a 4 week lockdown into a higher Tier show that the lockdown measures have been a success?

Only one area has left the National measures into a lower Tier and that’s Liverpool who played ball with the government, the “look at what you could have won!” And the carrot on offer if the areas play ball.

It’s all standard coercive and controlling measures usually employed by abusive partners to keep their other half in check.

R was still predicted to be above 1 though which means an increase in spread, albeit as you say slowing down. The lockdown did cause a step change, but was probably too short given it was definitely too late.

I think the original tier system was still too lenient and abused by too many.

I do think the 5 day Xmas extravaganza is a big mistake and will set things back again, personally I would forgo Christmas this year to avoid more stringent measures in the New Year. A bit of spread with everyone getting together in their ‘limited’ bubbles followed by schools and colleges going back at the coldest time of year, will imho, see a third wave in mid to late January.

R was still predicted to be above 1 though which means an increase in spread, albeit as you say slowing down. The lockdown did cause a step change, but was probably too short given it was definitely too late.

I think the original tier system was still too lenient and abused by too many.

I do think the 5 day Xmas extravaganza is a big mistake and will set things back again, personally I would forgo Christmas this year to avoid more stringent measures in the New Year. A bit of spread with everyone getting together in their ‘limited’ bubbles followed by schools and colleges going back at the coldest time of year, will imho, see a third wave in mid to late January.

I’m on the side of more freedom but not an anti-vaxxer or masker or conspiracy theorist., however don’t agree or see the point of the Christmas free for all.

They’ve dragged politics into it to appease the masses, they’ve locked other faiths and religions down during their festivals of celebration yet allow Christmas to be open.

Wrong message and wrong time!

Still alive to post that drivel. Not such a deadly virus as they make out. To close the whole world over?

Aye mate. Makes sense. f***ing Not.

Wobble.

Oooh ain't I mint? I can say one word replies cos I can I'm git class and that.

Please do Chunky. I look forward to it. But posters such as yourself are too pussy to converse in real talk.

Dr Yeadon is retired. Heard of Barrington Declaration? Thought not.

Your words not mine. They have told you to your face that numbers are manipulated by them. But you carry on.

Like how all positive tests are 93% false. But then go on like idiots following these asymptomatic people. It's just very basic science.

You don’t deserve any more than a one word reply you f***ing spanner

Still alive to post that drivel. Not such a deadly virus as they make out. To close the whole world over?

Aye mate. Makes sense. f***ing Not.

Jesus. Tell that to at least three/four? posters on here that have died with this virus.

do you know the last time this country faced a comparable challenge like this in the 40s, fifth columnists were interned.

If Johnson mandated that every year, it could almost convince me to vote Tory

Good point :lol: It is very strange that the fear of god is being put into folk at each and every turn considering....

"But if you repeatedly feel anxious and stressed or it lasts a long time, your body never gets the signal to return to normal functioning. This can weaken your immune system, leaving you more vulnerable to viral infections and frequent illnesses. Also, your regular vaccines may not work as well if you have anxiety."

"When we're stressed, the immune system's ability to fight off antigens is reduced. That is why we are more susceptible to infections"

"Fear weakens our immune system"

You'd have thought they'd be trying not to freak people out 🤔

Good point :lol: It is very strange that the fear of god is being put into folk at each and every turn considering....

"But if you repeatedly feel anxious and stressed or it lasts a long time, your body never gets the signal to return to normal functioning. This can weaken your immune system, leaving you more vulnerable to viral infections and frequent illnesses. Also, your regular vaccines may not work as well if you have anxiety."

"When we're stressed, the immune system's ability to fight off antigens is reduced. That is why we are more susceptible to infections"

"Fear weakens our immune system"

You'd have thought they'd be trying not to freak people out 🤔

You're the only one running about saying the sky is falling.

Jesus. Tell that to at least three/four? posters on here that have died with this virus.
Might be a bit difficult to do that.

The argument isn't that simple though is it. There is no denying that allowing the virus to run wild is going to cause a lot of deaths. there is a counter argument that claims that by locking down, there will also be a not insignificant number of deaths as well, some due to the virus, but others to more restricted access to health services etc., plus increased morbidity now, and well into the future due to falling living standards.
People dying of the virus tend to be elderly (on average), is it reasonable to shield these people whilst risking the lives of younger people in the forthcoming recession?
personally I feel that if the news about vaccines is as positive as we are being told, the lockdown is justified, BUT that shouldn't include a five day break to allow a mega spread!! Too many decisions have and continue to be made with decisions made behind closed doors with little debate. All the home nations have adapted differing strategies which doesn't actually fill me with confidence that anyone knows what the solution is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back