Chris Silverwood

When someone like Gary Kirsten is available it would be a horrendous decision not to appoint him.
I get the clamour for home grown coaches, but there are (IMHO) no stand out candidates

Have to agree with this. Kirsten would be a much better fit with a strong track record. Silverwood certainly has promise but think it’s a bit early for him or Colly IMO

Have to agree with this. Kirsten would be a much better fit with a strong track record. Silverwood certainly has promise but think it’s a bit early for him or Colly IMO
I think the one issue with GK is that he is reluctant to go back to the grind of touring. IIRC he left at least one of his coaching jobs to spend more time with his family
The problem that IPL and other franchise cricket has created is that the top coaches can earn millions for 8 weeks work and spend 44 weeks at home with the family. They don't need the hassle of 2 tours and 12-15 tests a year plus all the white ball cricket

You can't knock how Chris Silverwood helped to turn Essex from Division Two also-rans into champions. It wouldn't necessarily be a poor choice and some could argue it's the logical choice.

I'm with the consensus, though, that there's better out there in Kirsten and FTECB are duty bound to bring in the best they can.

Good luck to the lad, a very good county player in his day, will have excellent knowledge and contacts at that level. Should give us a better chance to identify the talent that’s needed to develop the test team in a way that Bayliss never managed.

Don't know why people have an issue with this, he know the County Game inside out, exactly the opposite of TB which is what everyone whinged about.
CS never made it at Test level.My prefered choice would be Alec Stewart.

Back