Chris Silverwood

Can't say its a bad appointment at all, just not convinced its what we needed

think we needed a voice from outside the dressing room, a hardened charachter who knows the grind of international cricket as a coach

I keep reading "he is popular with the players" like thats a good thing

They dont need disciplining or anything, but they need toughening up slightly.

think we needed a voice from outside the dressing room, a hardened charachter who knows the grind of international cricket as a coach

Fully agree with this.

How many tests did Duncan Fletcher play?

I am not sure if others agree, but when I'd say no international cricket I'd mean as a coach, not a player. I just think if players can find it tough to make the jump from intensity and quality, and grind, then why wouldn't a coach?

As I say I have no massive issue with Silverwood, I am just not convinced its what we need. i think we needed a Flower-esque, Fletcher type bloke. From what I can gather Silverwood not really this type of bloke. But might be wrong. He will get by full backing

I can't blame them for not picking Kirsten if reports to be believed, sounds like he turned up half arsed, assuming he had the job, and expecting a shed load of time off.

I am not sure if others agree, but when I'd say no international cricket I'd mean as a coach, not a player. I just think if players can find it tough to make the jump from intensity and quality, and grind, then why wouldn't a coach?

As I say I have no massive issue with Silverwood, I am just not convinced its what we need. i think we needed a Flower-esque, Fletcher type bloke. From what I can gather Silverwood not really this type of bloke. But might be wrong. He will get by full backing

I can't blame them for not picking Kirsten if reports to be believed, sounds like he turned up half arsed, assuming he had the job, and expecting a shed load of time off.
Coming for the cash, that would be his main objective.

The one thing I have read which disappoints me is that Giles' believes the test team needs three assistant coaches - bowling, batting and fielding/fitness (with Colly and Thorpe likely to continue in the latter two roles). For me, we clearly need a spin bowling coach as well as a fast bowling coach and, in Saqlain, we already have the right man for the job on a temporary contract.

They need to make him permanent - his ability to get the most out of Ali, Leach and, hopefully, new talent like Parkinson or Virdi is crucial to the team's long-term success on all surfaces.

I’m pleased it’s an English coach, he did a very good job at Essex and clearly has done well with England. He knows the county scene inside out so this should only benefit the test side. The white ball team will look after itself for the foreseeable.

Thats my 2 penny’s worth. I hope it works out for him and us.

The one thing I have read which disappoints me is that Giles' believes the test team needs three assistant coaches - bowling, batting and fielding/fitness (with Colly and Thorpe likely to continue in the latter two roles). For me, we clearly need a spin bowling coach as well as a fast bowling coach and, in Saqlain, we already have the right man for the job on a temporary contract.

They need to make him permanent - his ability to get the most out of Ali, Leach and, hopefully, new talent like Parkinson or Virdi is crucial to the team's long-term success on all surfaces.
The plan is definitely to fast track Harmer

100% this, we needed a rethink from the current regime. Nothing against silverwood but would have liked to seen Kirsten over him to be honest.

100% this, we needed a rethink from the current regime. Nothing against silverwood but would have liked to seen Kirsten over him to be honest.

I’ve been reading more today and heard a few people ex plsyers talk

They are saying he’s very hands on, more hands on than Kirsten and think he’s what root needs

I’ll hold my hands up to people in the know and say if he is that’s more what we need

Big jump though
He’s been a head coach for 2 years

Sure he won the CC, but so have lots of coaches

Last edited:
I’ve been reading more today and heard a few people ex plsyers talk

They are saying he’s very hands on, more hands on than Kirsten and think he’s what root needs

I’ll hold my hands up to people in the know and say if he is that’s more what we need

Big jump though
He’s been a head coach for 2 years

Sure he won the CC, but so have lots of coaches
Only time will tell I guess, certainly will give him a chance but hopefully he isn’t scared to shake the mentality up a bit if he is already within the dressing room.

Only time will tell I guess, certainly will give him a chance but hopefully he isn’t scared to shake the mentality up a bit if he is already within the dressing room.
He has a lot to do to avoid being called shit considering we never lost a home series did we under Bayliss

My point is that a coach can command more instant respect in the dressing room if he has had a successful test career.

Really ? So in effect CS is a second choice.
Do you only ever interview one person for a job? Did Alec Stewart even have an interview?

Silverwood might have been 15th choice but if there was only him and Kirsten interviewed its a bit of a moot point.

Back