Chester-le-Street

The new owners of the Whitehills stated the business wasn't sustainable due to mainly the costs of the utilities in keeping the place heated. Shame as the food was a vast improvement. Business seemed to be picking up, and with Xmas approaching there would have been plenty of busy days/nights. We got flyers regarding events running up to Xmas and then it shut 2 days later!! Hopefully someone can make a go of it as its got a huge catchment area around it.

The new owners of the Whitehills stated the business wasn't sustainable due to mainly the costs of the utilities in keeping the place heated. Shame as the food was a vast improvement. Business seemed to be picking up, and with Xmas approaching there would have been plenty of busy days/nights. We got flyers regarding events running up to Xmas and then it shut 2 days later!! Hopefully someone can make a go of it as its got a huge catchment area around it.
the New Years Eve Party has been moved to the football club at Chester Moor and has sold out

On a different note I was in the Market Tavern last week, the one where the landlord was on the news taking customers to the pub when GNE was on strike. Turns out the bloke who was getting a lift down is the landlords brother in law and was helping out behind the bar.
Rule No. 1 in the media....never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

You would have thought they had considered that before taking it on?

Strange one, my Mam had a flyer pushed through the door from them about 3 weeks ago then all of a sudden they've shut.
On a different note I was in the Market Tavern last week, the one where the landlord was on the news taking customers to the pub when GNE was on strike. Turns out the bloke who was getting a lift down is the landlords brother in law and was helping out behind the bar.
Also saw a bloke projectile vomiting just outside the door at about 3.30pm, good going that :D
Fuck the landlord the mag prick

Well this a bit awkward :D The bloke who had the Market Tavern appears to have passed it on to a bigger bell end. Seems if you want to have a fight or be threatened by an Akita this is the place to be :eek:

Stayed at lumley castle for a sat night last year and went in to chester on the night. Never again at least two of the bars full of smackheads in toilets and i mean doing it blatantly one of these had bouncers who saw what was going on another bar big scrap. Smackheads were not young kids either most were grown up blokes.

Stayed at lumley castle for a sat night last year and went in to chester on the night. Never again at least two of the bars full of smackheads in toilets and i mean doing it blatantly one of these had bouncers who saw what was going on another bar big scrap. Smackheads were not young kids either most were grown up blokes.
I lived nearby form 1986 and started going out for refreshments with mates around 1990. and loved it - it was good craic then. I left for uni in 1992 but was back in the holidays. I left the NE in 1997.
I'm certainly planning to return to Northumberland as soon as I can (probably in about 10 years) and I'll be looking forward to catching up with mates at their houses in and around CLS, but I'm not in a hurry to go in the pubs again.

it's such a shame seeing boarded up pubs, (so many) charity shops, pawn brokers, bookies and kebab shops. It's a sign of a dead or dying town. With that goes the problems that go with it.

CLS isn't dying. The Front Street is.

The majority of people who live there would never visit the Front Street.
The front street is not as it was
However most towns are not as there were
Cls is no different to most towns some of the pubs are fine and yes there is the shall we say the less desirable element
If that’s what you want to call them
This! My opticians is on Front Street but I can't think of the last time I bought something elsewhere on the street.
Yeah it’s not a place we’re you would go out and look around the shops and buy something
But neither is Stanley birtley houghton and other small towns
Mostly people go to out of town shopping and mag country

Last edited:
The difference is that back in the day, I'm taking 1970s and 80s, CLS Front Street was absolutely thriving.

Birtley, Stanley were nowhere near.

It's the scale of the decline that's so noticeable.

I do agreed that it's a unstoppable trend across the vast majority of the UK.

Even late 90's/early 00's. There were several shops like Dorothy Perkins, Evans, M & Co, Ethel Austin, Clarks etc, where you could buy ladies footwear and clothing.

The only clothes shop I can think of is Peacocks which is more of a fast fashion for younger people shop.

Cls cricket club is clean and a respectful place with a very good clientele
It’s a good place to go for a pint and sometimes to attend functions and the catering staff are top class
That's my local, so to speak, different from all the other bars and the staff are great. Slightly more expensive but that deters the riff-raff so don't mind paying a bit extra for that.

CLS isn't dying. The Front Street is.

The majority of people who live there would never visit the Front Street.
I went for a coffee date there the other week, I'd not been there properly for donkeys years I'm talking the height of the market days in the 90s. I was shocked to see the place so empty, that huge space that the market stood on just stood empty. Shops boarded up etc, remember when I was a kid it was a treat to go through CLS a walk around the market get some scran and go to the park. Just a sign of what we've seen everywhere else, really though the market would still be on looks like it went awhile ago though?.

I went for a coffee date there the other week, I'd not been there properly for donkeys years I'm talking the height of the market days in the 90s. I was shocked to see the place so empty, that huge space that the market stood on just stood empty. Shops boarded up etc, remember when I was a kid it was a treat to go through CLS a walk around the market get some scran and go to the park. Just a sign of what we've seen everywhere else, really though the market would still be on looks like it went awhile ago though?.
TBF the park is the only that's better than it was.

The market is still on apparently but I think a lot smaller than it was.

The only time I have been back in the last few years are for funerals.:(

That's my local, so to speak, different from all the other bars and the staff are great. Slightly more expensive but that deters the riff-raff so don't mind paying a bit extra for that.
Yeah I frequent the place I’ve joined the keets it gets you 10% off your drinks
Had a few good reports since it opened a couple of weeks ago
They recon the food is good
However I was told last night it was over £4 a pint I’ve not been in yet so I can’t comment myself
I only live a couple of hundred yards away so I might try it soon

Last edited:

Back