Chester-le-Street

Was there today. Citrone’s for a late breakfast, then up and down the high street.
Canny for a Monday, but it would be nice if someone took the Queen’s Head on. That huge empty building halfway up the bank is a shame.

Does the market still run on a Saturday?

It was heaving when I was a kid and my dad used to take us. Could get everything from vinyl to video games and fake clobber.

I was shocked at how quiet it was the last time I was there (during a weekday afternoon)
Seemed to be nobody about
Seen more folk in Jarrow or Hebburn!

Well Kev who used to do videos/DVDs was a dodgepot.
I don't think they were all bad though.

There was a fella who did vinyls and CDs near the top by the mobile butcher. He wore glasses and had dark hair sort of slicked back like a young Mark Kermode. He always seemed sound, and he'd usually have a good chinwag with my dad about random bands I'd never heard of.

But aye I do also remember enquiring about some 'Adidas jeans' that definitely looked iffy. Always remember getting Red Faction on the PS2 from there, in the days before video reviews on YouTube (I'm firmly down a nostalgia rabbit hole now like ha).

Anyone know what the craic is with the Whitehills? Been shut for the last 2 weeks or so and Google says Permanently Closed under opening times
Strange one, my Mam had a flyer pushed through the door from them about 3 weeks ago then all of a sudden they've shut.
On a different note I was in the Market Tavern last week, the one where the landlord was on the news taking customers to the pub when GNE was on strike. Turns out the bloke who was getting a lift down is the landlords brother in law and was helping out behind the bar.
Also saw a bloke projectile vomiting just outside the door at about 3.30pm, good going that :D

Back