Chester-le-Street

I don't live there but had the pleasure of going to the market on Saturday. It's like the last 25 years didn't happen.
My Da used to like the market so I took him there a few times - poor man's car boot sale in my opinion though. The rest of the town seems to consist of charity shops built on a hill...

Wicketgate and Utopia(?)

Only boozers I think I've been in.

I only ever go for a mate's birthday day out. Utopia in afternoon watching matches and getting very very drunk. Spoons and then back to Utopia for jumping about a bit.

I might have been in others but have vague recollections.

Any SMB'er's in the area? Moved here a little while ago and never thought to ask..

If so, which watering holes do you frequent? Must admit to being a fan of The Butchers Arms and the Cricket Club.

Lived in Chester since I was 6, and sadly it's a bit of a shit tip the last couple of years. I grew up going to the cricket club so still have a soft spot for it and the beer is great in the Butchers. Lager is canny and cheap at the Market Tavern and it's recently been done out. Queen's Head is a nice place to be and the quiz is good (decent quiz in Wicket Gate too on a Monday I think). Usually decent bands at the Lambton Arms on Fridays /Saturdays. Avoid Chesters and the High Crown unless you fancy a fight.

I went to Spoons in C-le-S for breakfast before going to the cricket quite a few years ago.

Having bought my pint I went to our table and walked past an old bloke on what was probably his 2nd pint by that time in the morning who had an eyeball on its stalk dangling out of his head.

That was enough C-le-S for me.

Can’t knock the Wicket Gate at 3am on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

Don’t try it sober though.

Good advice.

Luckily it’s rare that I’m sober in there late on but I have been once or twice, not for long mind as it has a habit of increasing your drinking speed or getting you on the shots - Utopia the same.

The bar that used to be called the Britannia was canny but I think it changed names and I can never remember what to. We usually drink in the High Crown if we’re over that way as well, directly opposite the Wicket Gate.

Can’t knock the Wicket Gate at 3am on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

Don’t try it sober though.

Luckily it’s rare that I’m sober in there late on but I have been once or twice, not for long mind as it has a habit of increasing your drinking speed or getting you on the shots - Utopia the same.

The bar that used to be called the Britannia was canny but I think it changed names and I can never remember what to. We usually drink in the High Crown if we’re over that way as well, directly opposite the Wicket Gate.

The Brit was class, it's gone back to only having charvers in now.

Cricket club does the best pint in Chester like, would class it as me local even though I live in Fencehouses. Can get a pint of stella for around £2.50 in the market tavern now anarl which has also just been done out. Love Chester me, start at the bottom and work your way up then end up a clip in Lloyd's.

Last edited:
I went out on Saturday night there once. It was utter shit. Dead as a doornail We got a taxi back to Sunderland by 11.

Usually very busy on a Saturday night in the names mentioned on this thread that are open late on, less so on a Friday but that’s the same with Sunderland in my experience. The biggest brawl I’ve seen was in Chester a couple of years ago, must have been at least 20 lads running at each other from all angles hoying punches right in the middle of the road. Taxis either had to wait or try and drive round them. :lol:

The Brit was class, it's gone back to only having charvers in now.

We never even bother going in now, when we end up in Chester we tend to drink in Washington until as late as possible then get a taxi over so only really bother with the likes of Utopia/Wicket Gate/High Crown.

Why the hell did you move from Mutant Aycliffe @The Breen Machine ?? :lol:

:lol: Bloody Ferryhillbilly!

Cricket club does the best pint in Chester like, would class it as me local even though I live in Fencehouses. Can get a pint of stella for around £2.50 in the market tavern now anarl which has also just been done out. Love Chester me, start at the bottom and work your way up then end up a clip in Lloyd's.

I do like it mind, yet to try the Market Tavern but doesn't look too bad. Tend to stay up the top end and finish up in the Butchers.

Back