Chester-le-Street

Aye apparently The Colonel, another character, got so excited at the result he managed to shit himself in the bar :lol:
He died 3 or 4 years ago sadly.

Is Jack the Hat still on the go? He used to sit on the bench outside Social Services (between The Back Horse and Lambton for those who use the Tavern Coordinates method) and drink cider. My mate was inspired to write a song about him.

Then Mad Ginge. Used to live with his mother off Roman Avenue. Always wore a white cap and blue jeans. Crackers him. I think he moved up towards Bournmoor and the latest generation of younguns call jinn Ginger Joe.

Then there was another lad who carried a ghetto blaster around and wore a big top hat.

He died 3 or 4 years ago sadly.

Is Jack the Hat still on the go? He used to sit on the bench outside Social Services (between The Back Horse and Lambton for those who use the Tavern Coordinates method) and drink cider. My mate was inspired to write a song about him.

Then Mad Ginge. Used to live with his mother off Roman Avenue. Always wore a white cap and blue jeans. Crackers him. I think he moved up towards Bournmoor and the latest generation of younguns call jinn Ginger Joe.

Then there was another lad who carried a ghetto blaster around and wore a big top hat.
Jack the Hat is long dead...Mad ginge is wheelchair bound, list both legs I heard.
Used to ride around on a bike shouting stuff..dont know the ghetto blaster lad?

Lived here all my life and it's been class reading this thread, heard 99% of the stories off me fatha before like but always a laugh :lol:

No wonder I turned out canny when I was basically brought up by Nickas, Nash and Ray Scott...

Lived here all my life and it's been class reading this thread, heard 99% of the stories off me fatha before like but always a laugh :lol:

No wonder I turned out canny when I was basically brought up by Nickas, Nash and Ray Scott...
some more old names for you, Harry Fenny, Willy Dover the Huffas,Nobby, Birkbeck, Davey Dixon,and Cressy

Last edited:
Ah right, could well be Ray's son. Ray used to be out every night of the week doing the same route of pubs up until about 4 year ago, he would have been late 70s then. Haven't seen him since, he was a cracking bloke.
ive loved this thread too.
Chester was/is a great little town, plenty sports facilities, lots of pubs/ eateries, fantastic riverside park, excellent travel connections to rail/ road and can even get a bus to almost anywhere in the country at bottom of the street. Me mother is 81 and still says " going down the street".
Whats not to like, real Chester folk appreciate it.

This thread has brought back a few random memories

Does anyone recall Rod Hull & Emu arriving by helicopter at the Youth Club near the baths?

Died last year used to live in my street

Ah bollocks, I did fear that but I'm surprised I hadn't heard. Cracking bloke.

ive loved this thread too.
Chester was/is a great little town, plenty sports facilities, lots of pubs/ eateries, fantastic riverside park, excellent travel connections to rail/ road and can even get a bus to almost anywhere in the country at bottom of the street. Me mother is 81 and still says " going down the street".
Whats not to like, real Chester folk appreciate it.

Agreed mate. I genuinely have no interest in living anywhere else. That might sound small-minded or whatever but it has everything I need and I can get to all major places dead easy. At last count I counted 22 pubs from top to bottom anarl ;)

Last edited:

Back