Chester-le-Street

Anybody know the big lad Les? Probably late 60s now. He used to stand in the Red Lion in his Sunderland top. I always thought that was brave in a 50:50 town. The ratio went up when football was invented on Tyneside in 1992. Mind, Chin on the doors was also red and white so that would have evened things up a bit.

Ran pub in Chester for seven years. Remember so many names off this thread, some not so fondly like :lol::lol::lol:

It was a cracking little town, but as been mentioned the pub trade there has died on its arse

surprised nebody has mentioned Johny and Franco Alexander yet.
Johnny Alexander looked ancient 35 yrs ago, can't imagine what he looks like now. Francos son, the window cleaner?? has been in a bit bother lately
Anybody know the big lad Les? Probably late 60s now. He used to stand in the Red Lion in his Sunderland top. I always thought that was brave in a 50:50 town. The ratio went up when football was invented on Tyneside in 1992. Mind, Chin on the doors was also red and white so that would have evened things up a bit.
Was he from Sacriston? Never seen him in years

Let's all have an SMB bottom to top Chester pub crawl
Bottom to top and back down Shirley? then a bit scuffle at the 'proper' taxi rank??? :lol:

Jesus I couldn't do that now, probably couldn't even do half of them from bottom to top:oops:

Last edited:
Johnny Alexander looked ancient 35 yrs ago, can't imagine what he looks like now. Francos son, the window cleaner?? has been in a bit bother lately

Was he from Sacriston? Never seen him in years

Bottom to top and back down Shirley? then a bit scuffle at the 'proper' taxi rank??? :lol:

Jesus I couldn't do that now, probably couldn't even do half of them from bottom to top:oops:

Last time I attempted it properly I pissed meself on our leather sofa which broke the sky remote and blamed it all on the cat like

Graves, now thats going back.
What about Doggarts and the Handicraft shop

Owen Brothers, Kingston Studios, Hamiltons Motorbikes, Disque Records,
Archibalds,Bells Newsagents, Robinsons (Arcade),Woolworths,Laws Stores,Broughs/Liptons,Spoors,Sewell &Andrews Barbers,Lumley Bakery,The Co-op, and a Friday Market which stretched from where Tesco is now to the main road.

The past is a foreign country as they say.:cry:

Last edited:
Tavern mate. I was owner before the current lot, bought it from Irene
my best mate was married to Irenes daughter

Owen Brothers, Kingston Studios, Hamiltons Motorbikes, Disque Records,
Archibalds,Bells Newsagents, Robinsons (Arcade),Woolworths,Laws Stores,Broughs/Liptons,Spoors,Sewell &Andrews Barbers,Lumley Bakery,The Co-op, and a Friday Market which stretched from where Tesco is now to the main road.

The past is a foreign country as they say.:cry:
remember them all mate, can u remember the little wooden cobblers hut that stood where car garage bedide Wilko is now? think was called Nutalls.

Last edited:

Back