cheapest pound for pound protein?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely agree there, however I can imagine things like protein powders could easily be sold at a higher price based on content of a few additional supplements with questionable efficacy.
on the subject of whey, you're probably right but I've never found a whey that mixes or tastes as nice as the Gold standard whey, hence why i'd rather spend a little extra on it.

Lewberry pie said:
i have been tracking my diet for a few weeks now and i need to find 70 grams of protein and a bit less carbs in my diet going off all the advice, this sticking to a routine and stuff bores me to death but it is a much more efficient way to train.

You don't want that 70g all in one sitting though

oROSSo said:
75g per 100 is actually pretty low. Myprotein isolate has a fair bit more.

He said per serving not per 100g.

yer, just changed my post after re-reading.

anyway, pound for pound, why has got to be the cheapest form of protein.

whey* half asleep today

70g in one sitting is fine, providing you can comfortably consume 70g of protein in one sitting.

Its a blend of proteins, whey isolate. casein, egg protein , pea protein etc, and im following a plan by the guy who preaches this theory and manufactures the protein, I consume 2 times my body weight in protein, I take 2 scoops of protein after the gym with 20g glucose and a banana.

I've also had optimum nutrition gold standard, it tastes good

Its a blend of proteins, whey isolate. casein, egg protein , pea protein etc, and im following a plan by the guy who preaches this theory and manufactures the protein, I consume 2 times my body weight in protein, I take 2 scoops of protein after the gym with 20g glucose and a banana.

I've also had optimum nutrition gold standard, it tastes good

Fuck me 25 Stone of protein everyday is some feat, hats off to u. ;)

Just becareful when the manufacturer of a product is giving out info on consuming large volumes of there own product, because it's in their interest that you do so.

Most people would say u could get away with half that protein. (1g per lb)

Last edited:
For Bulking? its generally 1.5

But this is a routine/diet he has devised , he's got a few books out now and they are quite hot atm, also supporting a pro bodybuilder

Will see how it goes, going to gradually build up to supps ,protein/glutamine/creatine/test booster/multi vits and bcaa's

For Bulking? its generally 1.5

But this is a routine/diet he has devised , he's got a few books out now and they are quite hot atm, also supporting a pro bodybuilder

Will see how it goes, going to gradually build up to supps ,protein/glutamine/creatine/test booster/multi vits and bcaa's

For any diet/training nerds out there with an extensive attention span, watch "The Protein Roundtable" Parts 1 and 2 on youtube with Alan Aragon and Eric Helms. Also if you're in a good mood or appreciate the knowledge shared, donate to Eric's research fund to help with his post-graduate research.

but we're not talking about aspirin, we're talking about protein. In which you can get good and poor quality.

I just thought I'd throw that in there, as we were talking about pound for pound stuff ........... and we weren't talking about eggs either :lol: but seeing as you raised it .... cheap eggs as a source of protein are exactly the same as more expensive free range organic eggs, especially as taste isn't/shouldn't really be an issue as you're mixing it with stuff for it's protein content, unless you're old skool and hardcore and eat 6 raw eggs everyday, even then I'd say the taste difference is ... negligible
Logon or register to see this image

I just thought I'd throw that in there, as we were talking about pound for pound stuff ........... and we weren't talking about eggs either :lol: but seeing as you raised it .... cheap eggs as a source of protein are exactly the same as more expensive free range organic eggs, especially as taste isn't/shouldn't really be an issue as you're mixing it with stuff for it's protein content, unless you're old skool and hardcore and eat 6 raw eggs everyday, even then I'd say the taste difference is ... negligible
Logon or register to see this image
We were talking about quality of food. Do you contest that there is a difference between say, cheap chicken and free range corn fed chicken?

We were speaking about protein sources, which mainly should be from food. If you believe there is no difference in the qualities of food then I expect your kitchen cupboards are kitted out with smart price tins.

without looking into it then I would guess that the higher the better, but it will also involve the ratio of the amino acids.

and again, highlighting the "you pay for quality" quote, with food sources, you most definitely do.
No.

BCAAs also cause the brain to reduce food intake and increase your metabolism, so if you're trying to bulk up, too much of them can have a downside.

Also, too much BCAAs in your blood reduces your bodies abilty to regulate your blood sugars [although I dunno if the amount of BCAAs you consume influences the amount of them in your blood].

At a guess I'd say that these three amino acids should make up no more than 40% of your protein intake, and probably rather less if you remember that protein is also used for energy production.

No.

BCAAs also cause the brain to reduce food intake and increase your metabolism, so if you're trying to bulk up, too much of them can have a downside.

Also, too much BCAAs in your blood reduces your bodies abilty to regulate your blood sugars [although I dunno if the amount of BCAAs you consume influences the amount of them in your blood].

At a guess I'd say that these three amino acids should make up no more than 40% of your protein intake, and probably rather less if you remember that protein is also used for energy production.
surely the increase in muscle mass caused by bulking would increase your metabolism anyway.

what level is too much if it reduces your ability to regulate BSL?

40% sounds very high considering theres 470 mg of valine, 650 mg leucine, and 375 mg isoleucine per 100g of chicken breast.

surely the increase in muscle mass caused by bulking would increase your metabolism anyway.
This happens without changes in muscle mass being necessary

40% sounds very high considering theres 470 mg of valine, 650 mg leucine, and 375 mg isoleucine per 100g of chicken breast.
There you go then.

We were talking about quality of food. Do you contest that there is a difference between say, cheap chicken and free range corn fed chicken?

We were speaking about protein sources, which mainly should be from food. If you believe there is no difference in the qualities of food then I expect your kitchen cupboards are kitted out with smart price tins.

Were we ? - I thought the title of the thread was

- cheapest pound for pound protein? -

Which surely is a shake but if you were using food as your cheap source of protein then like I said there is no difference between battery eggs and free range organic eggs - the quality of the protein contained within is the same, so no, there is no difference between them, unless you're the only one who's talking about how it tastes and not about it as a protein source ??

According to wiki 35% of essential AAs in muscle tissue are BCAAs. In theory you'd only need the equivalent percentage relative to all AAs (not just essential) in muscle tissue BUT because your body can synthesise non-essential AAs de novo then perhaps a higher proportion of BCAAs (and all essential AAs) would be better.

However, that doesn't take into account the effect on regulation of BSL and the paper referenced on the wiki article on BCAAs doesn't directly measure that. So if that paper is the sole basis for the effects on BSL regulation then it can't really be quantified.

This happens without changes in muscle mass being necessaryThere you go then.
So it would be ideal for people on a cut looking to hold onto as much muscle mass as possible?

You can't get round the fact that your metabolism will speed up when bulking so why would taking BCAA's hamper your bulk?

I don't get the "there you go then" are you using the point that chicken breast is made up of 1.5% BCAA's to support the fact you shouldn't have more than 40% of your protein intake from BCAA's?

Were we ? - I thought the title of the thread was

- cheapest pound for pound protein? -

Which surely is a shake but if you were using food as your cheap source of protein then like I said there is no difference between battery eggs and free range organic eggs - the quality of the protein contained within is the same, so no, there is no difference between them, unless you're the only one who's talking about how it tastes and not about it as a protein source ??
you disputed the fact that you pay for quality.

Battery eggs and proper eggs have different levels of cholesterol, vitamin A, saturated fat, vitamin E, omega 3 and beta carotene. So no, they're not the same, you need to pay for the extra quality.

Battery eggs and proper eggs have MINUSCULE different levels of cholesterol, vitamin A, saturated fat, vitamin E, omega 3 and beta carotene. So no, they're not the same, you need to pay for the extra quality.

Fixed.

Depends on whether you think the differences are worth the extra money you pay.

So it would be ideal for people on a cut looking to hold onto as much muscle mass as possible?

You can't get round the fact that your metabolism will speed up when bulking so why would taking BCAA's hamper your bulk?

I don't get the "there you go then" are you using the point that chicken breast is made up of 1.5% BCAA's to support the fact you shouldn't have more than 40% of your protein intake from BCAA's?

you disputed the fact that you pay for quality.

Battery eggs and proper eggs have different levels of cholesterol, vitamin A, saturated fat, vitamin E, omega 3 and beta carotene. So no, they're not the same, you need to pay for the extra quality.
Basic arithmatic error! Hint: you still haven't said how much protein is in the chicken.

I was just replying to the suggestion that it was always a case of 'the higher the better'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back