cheapest pound for pound protein?

Status
Not open for further replies.

you pay for quality

Not true.

Sometimes the cheapest is exactly the same, particularly with chemical stuff.

For example, you should always buy the cheapest paracetamol/ibuprofen/aspirin as they are not product names they are chemical names, you can't mess with the chemical composition otherwise it's no longer legally allowed to be called paracetamol/ibuprofen/aspirin, the same with glucosamine, arginine, omega-3 etc, etc.

Not true.

Sometimes the cheapest is exactly the same, particularly with chemical stuff.

For example, you should always buy the cheapest paracetamol/ibuprofen/aspirin as they are not product names they are chemical names, you can't mess with the chemical composition otherwise it's no longer legally allowed to be called paracetamol/ibuprofen/aspirin, the same with glucosamine, arginine, omega-3 etc, etc.
but we're not talking about aspirin, we're talking about protein. In which you can get good and poor quality.

What is the difference between good quality protein and poor quality in this case?
some protein sources don't have the full range of BCAA's.

Some whey powders don't have the same amount of protein in per 100g

not to mention that "you pay for quality" could also be seen as taste. I know i'd rather eat a freshly laid free range egg than a battery hen egg from the supermarket

sorry, should have said same amount of BCAA's*

Last edited:
some protein sources don't have the full range of BCAA's.

Some whey powders don't have the same amount of protein in per 100g

not to mention that "you pay for quality" could also be seen as taste. I know i'd rather eat a freshly laid free range egg than a battery hen egg from the supermarket

sorry, should have said same amount of BCAA's*

So assuming the same level of protein per 100g and an identical taste what is the optimum BCAA content of a protein powder? Or is it simply the higher the better?

My current protein was 60 pound for 5kg,

A huge 75 Grams of protein PER serving
All 22 amino acids in the sequence of human muscle – all peptide bonded (free form amino acids are useless)
Only 15 grams of carbs and this is from oats, not simple sugars or cheap maltodextrin that just makes you fat
5 grams of HMB per serving. Proven to protect and build muscles
5 grams Creatine EE
10 Grams of peptide bonded L-Glutamine per serving
100% RDA of all recommended Vitamins and Minerals
No aspartame, GMO, meat products, simple sugars, lactose or trans fats
Digestive enzymes for super absoprtion

So assuming the same level of protein per 100g and an identical taste what is the optimum BCAA content of a protein powder? Or is it simply the higher the better?
without looking into it then I would guess that the higher the better, but it will also involve the ratio of the amino acids.

and again, highlighting the "you pay for quality" quote, with food sources, you most definitely do.

All 22 amino acids in the sequence of human muscle – all peptide bonded (free form amino acids are useless)
Only 15 grams of carbs and this is from oats, not simple sugars or cheap maltodextrin that just makes you fat
5 grams Creatine EE

Why?

5 grams Creatine EE

how much?

75g per serving:eek: that's just silly.

I have started using holland and Barrett stuff lately. Mixes really well even in a shaker, tastes great (tried chocolate and strawberry), says it has added bcaa's(haven't really looked into this), has 17g protein per scoop, mixed with 100ml ( i use 200) of milk makes it 20 I think. 17.99 for a big tub. Really have no complaints so far.

without looking into it then I would guess that the higher the better, but it will also involve the ratio of the amino acids.

and again, highlighting the "you pay for quality" quote, with food sources, you most definitely do.

a lad at the gym told me either myprotien, or a shop at the metro centre as they both sell gold standard big tubs for the cheapest price, that true?

I definitely agree there, however I can imagine things like protein powders could easily be sold at a higher price based on content of a few additional supplements with questionable efficacy.

I have started using holland and Barrett stuff lately. Mixes really well even in a shaker, tastes great (tried chocolate and strawberry), says it has added bcaa's(haven't really looked into this), has 17g protein per scoop, mixed with 100ml ( i use 200) of milk makes it 20 I think. 17.99 for a big tub. Really have no complaints so far.
75g per 100 is actually pretty low. Myprotein isolate has a fair bit more.

edit:I've just re-read that, i thought the lad meant 75g per 100g!!!

Last edited:

i have been tracking my diet for a few weeks now and i need to find 70 grams of protein and a bit less carbs in my diet going off all the advice, this sticking to a routine and stuff bores me to death but it is a much more efficient way to train.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back