Charlton forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read the thread in question and I didn't see what the OP was on about. It is absolutely no different to on here. You have to laugh.

I think it is too hard to call. We saw pressure on our side on Friday and they did not react well to it. Having said that, it could be a good thing to have got that performance out of the way. In a funny sort of way, I sort of expect whoever scores first to let the other back into it. Probably best to enjoy the game and wish you well at the end, win or lose!

first visit there for me was in '84 promotion season. 1-3 away win, two late goals for macdermott and beardsley. (happy days!)
the terracing at the side of the pitch was unused, derelict, covered in weeds and roped off.
went under the ropes at half time and stood at the very top. awesome and quite haunting to reflect on what it must've been like to have stood there in its heyday when it was full.
Remember one time going there in the late eighties when they had a mural of a crown painted on one on the unused stands/terraces?

Historically they aren't Safc but in no way are they wank or a little club. I don't like reading others calling us shite either but these internet spats are shite, I've never heard a Charlton fan have a bad word to say about us away from the internet in 20 odd years.
That’s fair enough then. I don’t follow football away from home so I don’t have much interaction with oppo fans outside of the internet, hence my opinions are formed from my own experience.

I read the thread in question and I didn't see what the OP was on about. It is absolutely no different to on here. You have to laugh.

I think it is too hard to call. We saw pressure on our side on Friday and they did not react well to it. Having said that, it could be a good thing to have got that performance out of the way. In a funny sort of way, I sort of expect whoever scores first to let the other back into it. Probably best to enjoy the game and wish you well at the end, win or lose!
If this even has a hint of doing a 98 Im leaving at full time :lol:

That’s fair enough then. I don’t follow football away from home so I don’t have much interaction with oppo fans outside of the internet, hence my opinions are formed from my own experience.
Living in Kent for nearly 15 years you get to speak to a lot of Charlton fans... given the fact that they could choose from the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, West Ham, you have to give them some credit. Every one Ive spoken to have been brilliant even those that had to put up with me celebrating when we scored in the first game of the season.

Historically they aren't Safc but in no way are they wank or a little club. I don't like reading others calling us shite either but these internet spats are shite, I've never heard a Charlton fan have a bad word to say about us away from the internet in 20 odd years.

This. They’re a decent club.

Should be a good match and atmosphere on Sunday. Just hope we come out on top this time around

Makes sense, this is a problem in the world of footy now that never existed. Silly internet feuds can make people think a club has awful fans when it's a handful of people on a forum. Hopefully you are off to Wembley at the weekend and get to meet a few Charlton fans, they are top quality, down to earth types who know the ups and downs of being a fan.

Charlton fan here...I'm banned from Charlton forums for not hating RD so I usually join the opposition forum where I'm generally accepted and treated very well. Found a nice home on the Donny forum and will stay with them for the coming season. Got to say that although the Donny lads are ok, you lot are proper grounded and give credit where it's due. We are all one football family, thus I've never seen the need for hostility. I'm here for banter, a bit of sarcasm and Bon Ami.
May the best men win...one life, be nice as there is no point in not being.
What’s your view on RD?

Portsmouth took 4 points off us!
We were played out by the Ref.

Last edited:
What’s your view on RD?

We were played out by the Ref.

Roland Duchatelet is a complete disaster. We only have Bowyer because he was the cheap option, the I don't have to bother option. We had a chance to sign Aribo up earlier in the season, and offered him less money! Rumour has it, he will be leaving us for the Premiership as soon as the season ends. He didn't play his best on Friday, but the lad is far and away the best talent in League One. When we played you first game, Bowyer was hanging on for players. He got Cullen and Bielik on subsidised wages from West Ham and Arsenal. They will probably be in their club's squads next season. He got Williams till the end of the season, heavily subsidised by Palace to put him in the shop window.

Above all, we have this miracle worker of a manager and Duchatelet decides to offer him a creative contract near the end of the season. Replace creative with rubbish and you can see what a disaster the bloke is! Yes, Bowyer has put together a very strong team, but win or lose next season is uncertain for us. If only we had the certainty of keeping Bowyer! As for Bowyer, he sold Magennis to Bolton and brought in Taylor. This bloke is 28 and looked decent last season, but he has been outstanding this. Honestly, he is teh best all round striker in League One. And Duchatelet offers Bowyer a creative contract. Bowyer is doing this for the fans now! And we have to persuade him to stay.

Duchatelet wants about £60m for the club despite not even paying a third of that otiginally and taking us down!

Roland Duchatelet is a complete disaster. We only have Bowyer because he was the cheap option, the I don't have to bother option. We had a chance to sign Aribo up earlier in the season, and offered him less money! Rumour has it, he will be leaving us for the Premiership as soon as the season ends. He didn't play his best on Friday, but the lad is far and away the best talent in League One. When we played you first game, Bowyer was hanging on for players. He got Cullen and Bielik on subsidised wages from West Ham and Arsenal. They will probably be in their club's squads next season. He got Williams till the end of the season, heavily subsidised by Palace to put him in the shop window.

Above all, we have this miracle worker of a manager and Duchatelet decides to offer him a creative contract near the end of the season. Replace creative with rubbish and you can see what a disaster the bloke is! Yes, Bowyer has put together a very strong team, but win or lose next season is uncertain for us. If only we had the certainty of keeping Bowyer! As for Bowyer, he sold Magennis to Bolton and brought in Taylor. This bloke is 28 and looked decent last season, but he has been outstanding this. Honestly, he is teh best all round striker in League One. And Duchatelet offers Bowyer a creative contract. Bowyer is doing this for the fans now! And we have to persuade him to stay.

Duchatelet wants about £60m for the club despite not even paying a third of that otiginally and taking us down!

Youve basically summed up everything a couple of lads were saying to me in the pub at the beginning of the season. Im more than surprised you are where you are given the shit you had to put up with

I thought Bowyer had been doing an amazing job (as much as I dislike the bloke) but if you've got 'by far and away the best talent in League One' in Aribo, 'teh best all round striker in League One' in Taylor and two players fit for Arsenal and West Ham's squads respectively then maybe I'm giving him too much credit. I guess he got 3 of the 4 in, mind your location didn't do you any harm in that regard.

£60m when Sunderland sold for £40m!! It’ll never happen.

McGeady is by far and away the most talented player in league one. It seems widely accepted.

Last edited:
Isn't it a manager's job to get the talent in. Especially with limited funds! Some of us were moaning when we couldn't even fill our bench against you on the opening day, but Bowyer said he was waiting on the right players.

The other thing I didn't mention was selling our top scorer in January and thus losing him and a suspended Taylor for three games that probably cost us automatic promotion. If you ever feel like moaning about your owners, study the Charlton career of Duchatelet. This bloke is the biggest clown imaginable!

By the way, do you not think Aribo is the best talent in the league and Taylor the best striker. It wasn't meant as a deluded statement. I thought it was generally accepted around the league! It wasn't meant as a slight against McGeady, who is above this level for sure.

Last edited:
Wow.

Charlton v Sunderland final. Pros and Cons

Have a read through this lads, by all accounts we've lost already. Nothing wrong with being positive, but it's quite an alarming superiority complex here.

Didn't realise we were so shite!
Gave up after the opening post. Not the most convicing or coherent arguments in fairness.

"We haven't beaten Sunderland this season....so we will want to sort that out". Erm ok

"Doncaster.. .in my opinion, were more challenging play off opposition then Portsmouth. For a number of reasons.

We got through it and Doncaster really took us to the wire and did
not make it easy!

That will play into our hands. It will remind us that we need to do better
!"

So they struggled to beat a team that finished lower than pompey which therefore means they were better than pompey. Or perhaps Charlton aren't that great?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back