Charlton forum

"5) We have much better supporters"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
I think that comment was tongue in cheek , it's just one guy trying to convince himself that we should win. We were lucky against Donny and that game on Friday knocked out any over confidence that we had. You get one guy make a comment like tinpot club , who cares , we've got Millwall for neighbours imagine the shit we get from them. We are the biggest South London club but have been in the doldrums for years so our support has been a bit doormant. Bowyer has awoken the fan base and the relative success of this season has been down to him despite the owner who tells us he can only devote 2% of his time to the club. We did at one time have an average home attendance of 40,000 and a record crowd of 75,000 , but we get called little old Charlton but we know the truth , if we could get an owner with ambition the club has great potential

Who've we actually outplayed this season? Not many - and even then it'll be someone at the lower end of the division.

It's alright to be objective about our season/chances ya kna. Uncle Stewy isn't gonna come and wrap ya knuckles for not being the massivest lads fan in the world.

Stop being pessimistic mate. We'll win, enjoy it.

I remember asking Steve Morison about the difference between Millwall's pulsating 3-2 defeat to Scunthorpe United in the 2009 play-off final and the professional 1-0 win over Swindon the following season.

He said a few crucial factors that fed into each other...

Firstly, due to Scunthorpe United only selling 10,000 (which is actually impressive really) it meant Millwall could ask for more. The club sold 49,661 tickets, making this a hugely one sided feeling occasion.

And this filtered down to the players, who were swept up in this huge occasion - Millwall's first ever visit to the new Wembley and our first ever playoff final. And it all proved too much. We went in leading 2-1, but you could see we were emotionally and physically drained by 60 mins and we lost 3-2. Morison said most of the players had been too excited in the lead up. Who can blame them? Only Harris had played in our FA Cup final match & European game. The rest were lower league journeymen like Gary Alexander and Tony Frampton or youth products like Alan Dunne and Paul Robinson.

The following season it was more evenly matched in the stands, 37,000 Millwall fans to 36,000 Swindon fans. Morison said the lead up was like any other match. Business as usual.

I think this is main advantage Sunderland have in this very even contest. Your players have done the big occasion thing & the fans had a big piss up. Not that long ago. This probably very much feels like a case of go down there, win and go home. No thrills or spills. Whereas, I don't know, but I assume Charlton players and fans are looking forward to a big occasion. Hard not to.

Fine margins and all that.

Back