Charlton finishing 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good luck in your game, it would be nice to see you at Wembley but we have to get through our respective semis first. For me, there is a bit of a gap quality wise between the top five in the league and the rest so happy to get Doncaster. I think you and Pompey is too close to call. We rested a few today but it was a travesty we didn't get into double figures. It would be a major shock if we can't get past Doncaster but football is a strange game sometimes!

If we can’t make it to Wembley, then I’d really like to see yourselves go up. Got nothing against your team at all and always liked watching Charlton during their time in the Premier League. And were all sick of the sight and talk of Portsmouth this season so I’d gladly watch you stuff them in the final if we don’t make it there. Should be a fantastic final whoever gets there.

Can’t see Donny troubling you at all, after all they couldn’t even score against us in either game this season which is impressive considering how downright awful our defence is. And I agree with you that our game with Pompey is tight. Think the home leg second will be a bonus, especially given how we are incapable of dealing with pressure of any kind. Thankfully we still have the best attack in the league, hopefully Ross finally recognises this and just attacks them. We could out score them, but we won’t 1-0 them.

lets be honest here

yes they hate the owner but theyve had a couple of seasons getting used to the league with a half decent core, especially at the back where theyve had pretty much a settled back line for a while.

They added Lyle Taylor who by all accounts was a main target for us. They have quality loan player in Krystian Bielik from Arsenal, and Jonny williams who is obviously quality when fit. Aribo has blossomed this year after a couple of seasons getting to grips with senior football and they have pace power and quality. They have the added bonus of being in london which helps for recruitment and bowyer certainly picks the team (not the owner as stated - they do get involved in scouting with dodgy characters allegedly). they started the season in a much more settled and stronger position than us and the 5 subs thing was mind games from Bowyer to put pressure on the owners.

if i was them id be gutted at not getting up automatically as we all know the play offs are a total lottery. Donny could well turn them over.

We look the worst team out of the 4. we need a total reversal of form and fortune three games straight. stranger things have happened.
We are not the worst team out of the four at all. We finished twelve points ahead of Donny and beat them home and away and beat them a couple of weeks ago at a canter.

There is very little between us, Portsmouth and Charlton. Yes, they have better form. Form is temporary, ability is permanent. Players we have can turn any team in this division over. IF they perform to their full ability.

Last edited:
Bowyer was confirmed only as caretaker manager a month after Ross took over here. He was only made permanent in September.

Barnsley only took their new manager on in late June as well.
You can't really argue against the fact they all (and Harford) have outperformed Ross because they finished above us but that doesn't mean he didn't have his own mess to sort out, my worry is that the players seem to have hid and stopped performing just as they needed to kick on, things were very much in our hands just three weeks ago and it's frightening to see how we have folded, fuck knows what the cure is to this Sunderland disease!

According to Donald aye. Taylor reckoned Charlton were better. They are.

Last summer we were seen as a risk. The most likely outcome for clubs like us coming down to this level is that we either walk the league or we collapse further depending on how the players, fans and club adapted, whereas I think there was little doubt that Charlton would finish in the playoffs. So you can understand his choice of club, same with anyone that turned us down.

Last summer we were seen as a risk. The most likely outcome for clubs like us coming down to this level is that we either walk the league or we collapse further depending on how the players, fans and club adapted, whereas I think there was little doubt that Charlton would finish in the playoffs. So you can understand his choice of club, same with anyone that turned us down.

Charlton seem a mess off the pitch mind

You can't really argue against the fact they all (and Harford) have outperformed Ross because they finished above us but that doesn't mean he didn't have his own mess to sort out, my worry is that the players seem to have hid and stopped performing just as they needed to kick on, things were very much in our hands just three weeks ago and it's frightening to see how we have folded, fuck knows what the cure is to this Sunderland disease!

This is a fantastic post. We were almost guaranteed automatic after the Rochdale game. In the top two with a game in hand over everyone and in fantastic form. Can’t really remember the last time any team fell away from the top of any division so dramatically

The number of players Ross had at the start of pre season seems to decrease with each post. People desperate to defend the failure this season has been :mad:

According to Donald aye. Taylor reckoned Charlton were better. They are.
Both would say that, if Taylor believed that then fair play to him and they certainly are easier on the eye than us, he would have definitely made a difference to our season it's a pity we didn't have a similar player lined up as a second choice.

This is a fantastic post. We were almost guaranteed automatic after the Rochdale game. In the top two with a game in hand over everyone and in fantastic form. Can’t really remember the last time any team fell away from the top of any division so dramatically
I hated to say it but it's true :(

Last edited:
The number of players Ross had at the start of pre season seems to decrease with each post. People desperate to defend the failure this season has been :mad:

If short was chairman I think Ross would be getting absolute pelters. Ross is getting a lot of slack because of the good will towards the new ownership.

End of day, this is Ross' fault. At the start of the season we were winning& playing poorly. We simply haven't improved and ultimately it has balanced out over the course of the 46 game season. Ross going back to that formation with that CM is taking the piss after the Coventry game. If we'd won we would have finished 3rd & played Donny ffs.

Last edited by a moderator:
If short was chairman I think Ross would be getting absolute pelters. Ross is getting a lot of slack because of the good will towards the new ownership.

End of day, this is Ross' fault. At the start of the season we were winning& playing poorly. We simply haven't improved and ultimately it has balanced out over the course of the 46 game season.
Correct people are scared to comment incase the feel good factor of the new owners is tarnished.

Both would say that, if Taylor believed that then fair play to him and they certainly are easier on the eye than us, he would have definitely made a difference to our season it's a pity we didn't have a similar player lined up as a second choice.

I hated to say it but it's true :(

Not sure about a better choice but they were definitely a less risky choice. We could have gone one of two ways, especially with an untested manager in charge, and thankfully we didn’t capitulate completely and finish 15th but that’s been known to happen to plenty of similar teams before. Southampton first season down here springs to mind

Started the season with 6 subs because they had uncertainty over the ownership.

Also started the season without a full time manager as bowyer was still caretaker. Embarrassing they've outperformed us. Also lost their sriker in January. Bowyer subsequently changed to a diamond & they haven't looked back. Puts Ross to shame
No that’s nonsense. Jack Ross is the only manager who inherited a threadbare squad and had to sign lots of players. Read it on here

Correct people are scared to comment incase the feel good factor of the new owners is tarnished.

Football wise the product has been really poor compared to Luton, Barnsley & Charlton. I'm sure Pompey will have similar complaints about their gaffer

Football wise the product has been really poor compared to Luton, Barnsley & Charlton. I'm sure Pompey will have similar complaints about their gaffer
Pompey were flying until December it’s mad. If we don’t go up pressure is massive on Ross. Any mistake and the pitchforks will sharpen

End of day, this is Ross' fault. At the start of the season we were winning& playing poorly. We simply haven't improved and ultimately it has balanced out over the course of the 46 game season. Ross going back to that formation with that CM is taking the piss after the Coventry game. If we'd won we would have finished 3rd & played Donny ffs.

What really wound me up was that we equalised and then he went all negative for some reason. Did he just not realise that we might as well lose as draw and we needed to win the game or something? Wouldn’t have minded if we lost trying to force a win given the situation, but to be so negative really wound me up yesterday

Most clubs are at this level, hence the reason they are playing league one football. Pompey are also a mess off the pitch as are we. It’s just something you have to deal with being an ex-premier league club playing at this level
By all accounts, Pompey are now a well run club who have rebuilt themselves after nearly going out of existence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back