Charlie Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.

I can understand the comments re shack but not hurley.
Hurley played most of his games in the old second division . Yes he looked good but to say in all that period he was the best...well his eyes couldn't have been too crash hot.
Btw I saw hurley play live at RP many many times.
Clearly a very nice man and a loyal servant.
Todd was a much much better defender, and went on to prove it.
Rose tinted specs and all thats
I can understand the comments re shack but not hurley.
Hurley played most of his games in the old second division . Yes he looked good but to say in all that period he was the best...well his eyes couldn't have been too crash hot.
Btw I saw hurley play live at RP many many times.
Clearly a very nice man and a loyal servant.
Todd was a much much better defender, and went on to prove it.
Rose tinted specs and all that

Sorry the last post misfired.
But
Hurley was quite simply the most inspirational player that I have ever seen wear the shirt. His influence was immense on the pitch and his sheer empathy with the crowd was something else. He embodied the passion of the fans. True, Baxter was probably the most skilful player I ever saw (I was just too young for Shack) and Toddy was pure quality.
But no one's contribution has ever matched Charlie' s in my lifetime.
No player except possibly Monty 'got' this club as much as he did, but Monty was iirc never Captain and Monty grew immensely under his tutelage.
And Hurley was a bloody great centre half. And he certainly took no prisoners.
I thought him worthy of the accolade.

Great player of his time, would have been player of the century cos there was not enough alive who would have remembered or saw Shack and those before him. Remember him bollicking a certain Robert Kerr after conceding against a Haynes inspired Fulham at Roker in 1968? in a 1-4 hammering in the cup. The colossus that CH was contributed greatly imo to the development of Colin Todd who went on to far greater things, unfortunately, elsewhere.

I always remember (back in the 60's) a piece in a national newspaper analysing who had been the best centre half. The three names they came up with were Jose Santa Maria, John Charles and a certain Charlie Hurley. Charlie was defiantly held in high esteem by the National Press.

I always remember (back in the 60's) a piece in a national newspaper analysing who had been the best centre half. The three names they came up with were Jose Santa Maria, John Charles and a certain Charlie Hurley. Charlie was defiantly held in high esteem by the National Press.

One of my favourite memories was when we played Cardiff at Roker, with John Charles in the Cardiff team.

It was Stan Anderson's last game for us after Allchurch (his direct opponent) scored a first half hat trick and CH scored the equaliser in a 3-3 draw.

Anyway, it was the way in which he scored it that sticks in my memory, he was head and shoulders above John Charles, who was no slouch in the air himself, in a one v one duel.

I had a pic of that for years and Charles later commented that Hurley was the best in the air he'd ever played against, which was praise indeed, considering who said it.

Last edited:
Sorry the last post misfired.
But
Hurley was quite simply the most inspirational player that I have ever seen wear the shirt. His influence was immense on the pitch and his sheer empathy with the crowd was something else. He embodied the passion of the fans. True, Baxter was probably the most skilful player I ever saw (I was just too young for Shack) and Toddy was pure quality. Great post lets hope the Charlie Hurley Statue happens.
But no one's contribution has ever matched Charlie' s in my lifetime.
No player except possibly Monty 'got' this club as much as he did, but Monty was iirc never Captain and Monty grew immensely under his tutelage.
And Hurley was a bloody great centre half. And he certainly took no prisoners.
I thought him worthy of the accolade.
Quality post lets hope the Charlie Hurley Statue happens.

He seemed to enjoy being on the pitch before the game today from what my dodgy/ broken stream let me see. I hope the statue happens and look forward to seeing the gates in January when im home!

I must have seen every home game that he played, I got his autograph on Sunderland Station in 1961. I haven't a clue what happened to it. I remember seeing him walking to the match with a great big smile on his face.

Does anyone have any memories of The King?

I have been fortunate enough to meet him a couple of times. Gave him a cuddle when Cisse scored the winner at Spurs. Met him a year later and he remembered my name, was so proud in front of my mates!

Named my son after him. Any old timers see him play?
Hurley sera is a class name there mate cannot be many with the same name at his Skool

I never seen this bloke play, obviously heard about lots of times but never seen him play.

I was sitting in a little pub in Herts today with the Mrs and my 5 month old having some lunch. Old couple, their daughter and son in law sit next to us and start talking about safc, they had a deep knowledge of the club, fans and the area in general but didn't sound from the north.

They started to talk to the bairn so I asked what the connection to safc was, the son in law points at the old boy and then asks who is the best ever safc player so I answered Charlie Hurley without any f***ing idea that it was the great man himself.

What a lovely, warm bloke he is. Sat talking about safc, Sunderland and the NE in general for a good hour. Sat the boy on his knee and let us take some photos etc.

He loves this club, was nice too see and great to talk to someone who is such a legend up here.

Does anyone have any memories of The King?

I have been fortunate enough to meet him a couple of times. Gave him a cuddle when Cisse scored the winner at Spurs. Met him a year later and he remembered my name, was so proud in front of my mates!

Named my son after him. Any old timers see him play?
A colossus of a man... A giant amongst boys. The first Centre half to go up into the opposition box for a corner

I never seen this bloke play, obviously heard about lots of times but never seen him play.

I was sitting in a little pub in Herts today with the Mrs and my 5 month old having some lunch. Old couple, their daughter and son in law sit next to us and start talking about safc, they had a deep knowledge of the club, fans and the area in general but didn't sound from the north.

They started to talk to the bairn so I asked what the connection to safc was, the son in law points at the old boy and then asks who is the best ever safc player so I answered Charlie Hurley without any f***ing idea that it was the great man himself.

What a lovely, warm bloke he is. Sat talking about safc, Sunderland and the NE in general for a good hour. Sat the boy on his knee and let us take some photos etc.

He loves this club, was nice too see and great to talk to someone who is such a legend up here.
You lucky ba*******d:)

Reactions: Az*
I think the best centre half we ever had was Dave Watson albeit for a relatively short time compared to Hurley.

I did see Hurley play and he was a good player.

Under today's TV microscope who knows how he'd look. Only had about 5 seasons in the top flight

Memories and rose-tinted glasses ? Who knows

Memories and rose-tinted glasses ? Who knows
Whilst the 1963/64 season was special for Sunderland AFC, resulting in promotion, it was also personally highly satisfactory for the King. Only the late, great Bobby Moore prevented Hurley from becoming Football Writers Player of the Year; the runners up placing truly testifying that at his peak there was no finer centre half in English football.
http://ryehillfootball.co.uk/stories/charlie-hurley-the-greatest-centre-half/

Not bad for a second division player...

One of my favourite memories was when we played Cardiff at Roker, with John Charles in the Cardiff team.

It was Stan Anderson's last game for us after Allchurch (his direct opponent) scored a first half hat trick and CH scored the equaliser in a 3-3 draw.

Anyway, it was the way in which he scored it that sticks in my memory, he was head and shoulders above John Charles, who was no slouch in the air himself, in a one v one duel.

I had a pic of that for years and Charles later commented that Hurley was the best in the air he'd ever played against, which was praise indeed, considering who said it.
There's a picture hanging in Fitzy's of that aerial dual and Charlie is at least a foot above JC, like SWP against Murphy! I was too young to see the great man play but met him a couple of times since, in fact spent a good time chatting to him at the civic reception when we won the championship under Reidy, can't speak highly enough about him, legend and gentleman.

Warm up in those days for Charlie as I remember it was to come out of the tunnel with the ball, then kick it high as feck in the air--job done :D
Loved it as a kid when we won a corner and the chant would go up ---Charlie, Charlie, Charlie.....as he trotted up into the oppositions box :cool:
That's exactly how Dad described it, then knocking then down for Nicky Sharky to get on the end of - HEAR THE ROKER ROAR!!!!!!

Know the sun's in my eyes but got a bit teary there. CHARLIE, CHARLIE, CHARLIE.

Last edited:
I was at the Man Utd game at OT when we won 2-1 in 1968. Charlie was immense in defence that day, it is a shame he wasn't just a couple of years younger as he and Colin Todd would have been a tremendous pairing.

Yes. I started supporting at the start of the 63/64 season aged 13. never missed a home game for 4 seasons when I started working.

The man was an amazing centre half, won everything in the air, commanded the box, dominated the top calss centre forwards of the era, commanded and dominated the team as captain. scored goals. Could pass a ball.

AND AS HARD AS FUCK.

In todays game would be worth £100m.

Feel truly honoured to have seen him play so many times, bearing in mind the fickle money grabbing twats playing today.

LEGEND.
A great analysis above... I too saw him through most of his days at Sunderland. One poignant memory is of him playing for the reserves at Simonside Hall when he was cold shouldered by the Rangers contingent for a while. Those who know me will be aware that I will never forgive the bigoted McColl and his henchmen Baxter and Kinnell who tried to get Charlie out of the club completely and broke Nick Sharkey's heart by moving him on. Their crime was for being Catholics! Charlie stood firm, made no fuss, played in the reserves and gave his all without complaint.
Can you imagine any so called stars putting up with that nowadays?

I was at the Man Utd game at OT when we won 2-1 in 1968. Charlie was immense in defence that day, it is a shame he wasn't just a couple of years younger as he and Colin Todd would have been a tremendous pairing.
Anderson (later Harvey) and McNab weren't bad along side him!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back