Charlie Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was my first football hero. Looked like a colossus - opposing players seemed like pygmies.

I've said it before, but when I saw him decades later I was utterly gob-smacked that he wasn't actually seven feet tall...

Went to my first match in the 61/62 season. Saw him play many times. Never met him until he came to Shields to do his book signing a few years back. I was talking to his son in law who was amazed by the number of people who'd turned out and the affection we had for him.

I can understand the comments re shack but not hurley.
Hurley played most of his games in the old second division . Yes he looked good but to say in all that period he was the best...well his eyes couldn't have been too crash hot.
Btw I saw hurley play live at RP many many times.
Clearly a very nice man and a loyal servant.
Todd was a much much better defender, and went on to prove it.
Rose tinted specs and all that
I remember a National paper back in the sixties asking who was the best centre half in the world. Only 3 were listed, Jose' Santa Maria, John Charles and our very own Charley Hurley. That's how high he was regarded.

John Charles v Charley Hurley:

I saw them both and to compare them is a bit unfair as I always thought of John Charles as a centre forward.
108 goals in 155 appearances for Juventus at a time when Italian football was at its most defensively boring speaks volumes.
Both giants of the game.
Particularly remember the time when Charles deliberately missed an open goal because the keeper was laid injured.

A gentleman on the pitch - only saw him lose it once when Monty was done by an opposing player.
If the memory cells are still working correctly that was Tony Hately in a League cup game against Villa.
Hately slid in on Monty when he was on the deck and i am sure Charlie picked up Hately by the neck and was about to deliver retribution before being held back.
Only time i seen him lose it.
Apart from that one incident he was and still is the perfect gentleman.
On or off the pitch.

Hurley played most of his games in the old second division . Yes he looked good but to say in all that period he was the best...well his eyes couldn't have been too crash hot.
I don't normally comment on Hurley (SAFC 1957-1968) threads as his record speaks for itself but I will make an exception this time.
Royal 8er's POST IS UTTER BOLLOX.

Hurley, despite having played for such a short time (<3 years) for them, even the fans of Millwall voted him their 'best ever player' in the Millwall fanzine The Lion Roars prior to the Dockers Day at the New Den in 2007.
40 international caps, Todd only got 27.

If the memory cells are still working correctly that was Tony Hately in a League cup game against Villa.
Hately slid in on Monty when he was on the deck and i am sure Charlie picked up Hately by the neck and was about to deliver retribution before being held back.
Only time i seen him lose it.
Apart from that one incident he was and still is the perfect gentleman.
On or off the pitch.
Could be mate - I can just remember the incident as it was unique

Is it an urban myth then that he was runner up to Bobby Moore for PFA player of the Year in 1966 ( or a similar award?)

A true legend seen him countless times.
Always remember was a hard frosty pitch this day and Charlie leads the team out wearing a pair of basey boots(As we called them then)
f***ing hell man hard as fuck.
I believe he was selected for a FIFA Rest of the World game but missed it for some reason.
Was a shame that McColl binned him and few others during his spell cos they were catholics, but he came back

A true legend seen him countless times.
Always remember was a hard frosty pitch this day and Charlie leads the team out wearing a pair of basey boots(As we called them then)
f***ing hell man hard as fuck.
I believe he was selected for a FIFA Rest of the World game but missed it for some reason.
Was a shame that McColl binned him and few others during his spell cos they were catholics, but he came back

Just gave meself goose bumps there, thinking about when we had a corner and the "Charlie, Charlie,Charlie" shout went up at Roker Park as he trotted up the field, f***ing hell man those were the days.......

Last edited:
Does anyone have any memories of The King?

I have been fortunate enough to meet him a couple of times. Gave him a cuddle when Cisse scored the winner at Spurs. Met him a year later and he remembered my name, was so proud in front of my mates!

Named my son after him. Any old timers see him play?
My Dad doesn't get to many games these days due to age, distance and gammy knees. I took him to the Hull game last year and seeing his face light up when he was his hero walk on the pitch was a joy to behold. Even now when he talks about him, his face lights up. I hope I'm the same when Quinny or SKP make an appearance 30 years from now

iIwas at blackpool first game nobody could imagine what was about to happen. Also at norwich when he first scored from a corner and as lots say the noise at roker when we got a corner and he started his run upoh dreams are made of stuff like that

Does anyone have any memories of The King?

I have been fortunate enough to meet him a couple of times. Gave him a cuddle when Cisse scored the winner at Spurs. Met him a year later and he remembered my name, was so proud in front of my mates!

Named my son after him. Any old timers see him play?

The fat lad out of Lost?

I have never seen him play but i have heard lots of good things about the bloke. It pisses me off we have players like Kone on our books when you hear about legends like Charlie.

iIwas at blackpool first game nobody could imagine what was about to happen. Also at norwich when he first scored from a corner and as lots say the noise at roker when we got a corner and he started his run upoh dreams are made of stuff like that
Dont hold your breath those two will never have the status of the King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back