Charlie Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any memories of The King?

I have been fortunate enough to meet him a couple of times. Gave him a cuddle when Cisse scored the winner at Spurs. Met him a year later and he remembered my name, was so proud in front of my mates!

Named my son after him. Any old timers see him play?

I have been fortunate enough to meet him a couple of times. Gave him a cuddle when Cisse scored the winner at Spurs. Met him a year later and he remembered my name, was so proud in front of my mates!

Loads of us. Many times. Always be the King.

I'm surprised he won player of the century. Clearly a fantastic player and undoubtedly a club legend but I'd have thought someone from the early 20th century would have won it since they won quite a lot

Yes. I started supporting at the start of the 63/64 season aged 13. never missed a home game for 4 seasons when I started working.

The man was an amazing centre half, won everything in the air, commanded the box, dominated the top calss centre forwards of the era, commanded and dominated the team as captain. scored goals. Could pass a ball.

AND AS HARD AS FUCK.

In todays game would be worth £100m.

Feel truly honoured to have seen him play so many times, bearing in mind the fickle money grabbing twats playing today.

LEGEND.

I'm surprised he won player of the century. Clearly a fantastic player and undoubtedly a club legend but I'd have thought someone from the early 20th century would have won it since they won quite a lot
I'm quite surprised it wasn't someone from more recent times.
I can't remember, was it on line? These days the Mags would hijack it and Chopra would win!

Warm up in those days for Charlie as I remember it was to come out of the tunnel with the ball, then kick it high as feck in the air--job done :D
Loved it as a kid when we won a corner and the chant would go up ---Charlie, Charlie, Charlie.....as he trotted up into the oppositions box :cool:

Loved him as a kid in the sixties,as a man said earlier " he commanded his area" indeed he did hard as nails no prisoners. I was lucky to get to know him and some of his family years ago and have had the pleasure of his company on occasions up here, I just hope he takes it all in on Saturday.

Told the story before about one of the Leeds players breaking IIRC bobby Kerr's leg. Think it was collins. In the return game and whilst both teams were out on the pitch warming up someone like Len Ashurst went up and told Collins that Hurley was going to break his f***ing legs for what he did to Bobby Kerr.

when the teams took to the pitch, collins was nowhere to be seen - all of a sudden injured apparently just before the game. :lol:

Told the story before about one of the Leeds players breaking IIRC bobby Kerr's leg. Think it was collins. In the return game and whilst both teams were out on the pitch warming up someone like Len Ashurst went up and told Collins that Hurley was going to break his f***ing legs for what he did to Bobby Kerr.

when the teams took to the pitch, collins was nowhere to be seen - all of a sudden injured apparently just before the game. :lol:
I think it was Collins on Willie McPheat - early 60s. Disgraceful tackle that more or less finished McPheat's career.

Long before my time but my Granda reckons he's the best player he's ever seen play for us, along with Shackleton.
I can understand the comments re shack but not hurley.
Hurley played most of his games in the old second division . Yes he looked good but to say in all that period he was the best...well his eyes couldn't have been too crash hot.
Btw I saw hurley play live at RP many many times.
Clearly a very nice man and a loyal servant.
Todd was a much much better defender, and went on to prove it.
Rose tinted specs and all that

Remember him being Manager at Reading.

I can understand the comments re shack but not hurley.
Hurley played most of his games in the old second division . Yes he looked good but to say in all that period he was the best...well his eyes couldn't have been too crash hot.
Btw I saw hurley play live at RP many many times.
Clearly a very nice man and a loyal servant.
Todd was a much much better defender, and went on to prove it.
Rose tinted specs and all that[/QUOTE
Hurley more than any other player was inspirational and embodied the passion of the fans. Baxter the most skillful, Toddy a superb talent. But Charlie's influence far outweighed their contribution. That is the difference.
And he was also a great centre half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back