Centon mirror lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
ah right.. so a plastic bag with a bit scribbled in with permanent marker.. got ya. :lol:

Seriously tho.. I'm looking for a cheap but safe solution.

This may fit what I need - Baader AstroSolar Film

Sorry if my response was a bit abrupt, but never take chances where the sun and your eyesight is concerned. Some people use welding glass #14 or old, saturdated negative film to observe solar eclipses, you can just about get away with that naked eye, but not if you're magnifying the sun's rays, which you are going to have to do to image the transit.

A sheet of A4 Baader film is less than 20 quid and will do a few lenses. Mounting collars can be made quite easily out of cardboard and duck tape. I have bought a sheet myself, one will go on the MTO, one on the Centon and if there's any left, a couple for the binos.

Sorry if my response was a bit abrupt, but never take chances where the sun and your eyesight is concerned. Some people use welding glass #14 or old, saturdated negative film to observe solar eclipses, you can just about get away with that naked eye, but not if you're magnifying the sun's rays, which you are going to have to do to image the transit.

A sheet of A4 Baader film is less than 20 quid and will do a few lenses. Mounting collars can be made quite easily out of cardboard and duck tape. I have bought a sheet myself, one will go on the MTO, one on the Centon and if there's any left, a couple for the binos.

No bother..ayesane said you were a mean bugger. :lol:

I know there are risks and that's why I wanted to ask first (not complain later that my camera was fooked or my eyes can only see dark blue)

Are there any local distributors of that film? Jessops or something?

I might mount it on top of a UV ring that I have.. to make sure it's sealed correctly.

No bother..ayesane said you were a mean bugger. :lol:

I know there are risks and that's why I wanted to ask first (not complain later that my camera was fooked or my eyes can only see dark blue)

Are there any local distributors of that film? Jessops or something?

I might mount it on top of a UV ring that I have.. to make sure it's sealed correctly.

Don't think so, but Telescope House provide top notch service in my experience, they are well regarded in astronomy circles. I deliberately ordered mine in good time, incase they had a rush on, but had it in two days.

BTW, if you've got a geared head I would use that rather than pan/tilt or ball head. You will be constantly readjusting as the sun drifts across the field of view.

Don't think so, but Telescope House provide top notch service in my experience, they are well regarded in astronomy circles. I deliberately ordered mine in good time, incase they had a rush on, but had it in two days.

BTW, if you've got a geared head I would use that rather than pan/tilt or ball head. You will be constantly readjusting as the sun drifts across the field of view.

I'm not that lucky..On a side note... I've been promising myself a celestron telescope, with motorised, computer controlled tracking and cooled CCD for years.

I'm a member (more like a follower) of the S'land and Newcastle Astro societies, but never been to the meets. The place they have in Kielder looks brilliant and was featured on Sky at Night recently.

Last edited:
I'm not that lucky..On a side note... I've been promising myself a celestron telescope, with motorised, computer controlled tracking and cooled CCD for years.

I'm a member (more like a follower) of the S'land and Newcastle Astro societies, but never been to the meets. The place they have in Kielder looks brilliant and was featured on Sky at Night recently.

Yup, I was there when they filmed it.

Have Sunderland or Newcastle got an event on for the transit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back