Centon mirror lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoker

Striker
Borrowed one of these off my brother-in-law for the transit of Venus. Fully manual (T2 mount/fixed aperture) so I've been using it in aperture priority mode. To be honest, it's a pretty poor lens - soft, poor contrast, narrow depth of field, ugly bokeh - but every now and then (say about one shot in 20) you nail it and get something half decent once you've corrected for the contrast and sharpness in PS.

Logon or register to see this image

The portability is a huge bonus, considering I usually have a bairn in-tow when I'm taking pics. Can't be many 500mm lenses you can stick up your shirt. It's a pity no-one makes an 'L-series' quality mirror lens, the MTO and Rubinar lenses seem to be the best of the bunch.

Borrowed one of these off my brother-in-law for the transit of Venus. Fully manual (T2 mount/fixed aperture) so I've been using it in aperture priority mode. To be honest, it's a pretty poor lens - soft, poor contrast, narrow depth of field, ugly bokeh - but every now and then (say about one shot in 20) you nail it and get something half decent once you've corrected for the contrast and sharpness in PS.

The portability is a huge bonus, considering I usually have a bairn in-tow when I'm taking pics. Can't be many 500mm lenses you can stick up your shirt. It's a pity no-one makes an 'L-series' quality mirror lens, the MTO and Rubinar lenses seem to be the best of the bunch.

Jesus, those make the kit lens on my 550D look like £10,000 glass.

Jesus, those make the kit lens on my 550D look like £10,000 glass.

Cheers mate. :lol: Considering it's a 500mm lens for 80 quid I don't think you can grumble too much to be honest.

One positive about the mirror set up is the lack of CA but you pay with general lack of sharpness and contrast, it's a basic problem in the cassegrain design, or indeed any optics with a central obstruction. My experience of maksutov telescopes is they are much sharper than cassegrains but pay for it with more coma.

Gerrin, this thread is really taking off now!!

Here is another lamb, this time with processing from my highly popular high-key black and white tutorial :cool:

brings a whole new meaning to the phrase 'slam in the lamb'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back